Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-26-2010, 07:46 AM

2,096 posts, read 3,810,859 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MiamiRob View Post
The pledge by the Pukes to repeal the new healthcare law with the provisions that were enacted this week will backfire on the GOP!
I am quoting "WinterSucks" above:

[i]Most people like what the bill does.

No..Most people have NO IDEA what this bill is!

Try reading before opening your mouth.

5 painful health-care lessons from Massachusetts - Jun. 15, 2010

http://www.pnhp.org/mass_report/mass_report_Final.pdf

Quote:
The reform has been more expensive than expected, costing $1.1 billion in fiscal 2008 and $1.3 billion in fiscal 2009. In the face of a state budget crisis in fall 2008, Gov. Deval Patrick announced that he will keep the reform afloat by draining money from safety-net providers such as public hospitals and community clinics.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-26-2010, 07:52 AM

41,325 posts, read 44,956,928 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ahzzie View Post
I too think the health care package doesn't go far enough but it's a decent start. We need universal health care.
Oh yeah, have you noticed how well UHC is going in places like Canada and UK? They are drowning in red ink and the whole system is imploding under the weight.

Old 09-26-2010, 07:53 AM

2,096 posts, read 3,810,859 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ahzzie View Post
I too think the health care package doesn't go far enough but it's a decent start. We need universal health care.

What we need is something that CONTROLS COST.

This does not,but you will all soon find this out when your premiums rise to cover the cost for those who aren't insured.

BTW...they didn't factor in the cost of all those who will now cancel their policies and pay the fine.Just wait until you get your 2012 policy to see that increase!

Quote:
How did costs in Massachusetts get so big to begin with? A major reason is the adoption of guaranteed issue and community rating in the mid-1990s. The new federal bill would expand those rules to the entire nation. Under guaranteed issue, insurers must accept all enrollees regardless of their medical condition; under community rating, they must charge all customers similar premiums, even if their costs are far different. The result is that prices rise steeply for young, healthy customers, who must pay far more than their actual costs. It also give them a strong incentive to drop insurance; then they can "game the system" by signing up any time they need surgery or get diabetes.

5 painful health-care lessons from Massachusetts - Jun. 15, 2010

Old 09-26-2010, 08:07 AM

86,052 posts, read 84,509,263 times
I read the OP article to see what "more" they wanted and gleaned this:

-Universal coverage
-Make employers offer insurance

Now one interesting item from that poll....those in favor of Obamacare are actually SPLIT on having it be mandatory.

I did not see that those in favor of Obamacare are worried about their premiums..just that everyone be covered.

Old 09-26-2010, 08:38 AM

30,065 posts, read 18,674,911 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ovcatto View Post
As I expected.

A new AP poll finds that Americans who think the law should have done more outnumber those who think the government should stay out of health care by 2-to-1.

Post-Gazette.com (http://hosted.ap.org/dynamic/stories/U/US_HEALTH_CARE_POLL?SITE=PAPIT&SECTION=HOME&TEMPLA TE=DEFAULT - broken link)

AP Poll: Many think health overhaul should do more - Yahoo! News (http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20100925/ap_on_bi_ge/us_health_care_poll - broken link)

Poll: Repeal? People favor greater health coverage - Healthcare Reform | Obama Health Care Plan - Salon.com

Right.

I wonder if you would be willing to write an annual check to the feds for about $100K per year to show that your heartfelt support for this new entitlement that we cannot afford is more than superficial.

Old 09-26-2010, 08:41 AM

1,652 posts, read 2,550,570 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ovcatto View Post
As I expected.

A new AP poll finds that Americans who think the law should have done more outnumber those who think the government should stay out of health care by 2-to-1.

Post-Gazette.com (http://hosted.ap.org/dynamic/stories/U/US_HEALTH_CARE_POLL?SITE=PAPIT&SECTION=HOME&TEMPLA TE=DEFAULT - broken link)

AP Poll: Many think health overhaul should do more - Yahoo! News (http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20100925/ap_on_bi_ge/us_health_care_poll - broken link)

Poll: Repeal? People favor greater health coverage - Healthcare Reform | Obama Health Care Plan - Salon.com

That's always been my issue with it. Healthcare "reform" without a single-payer option isn't really "reform" at all.

This was a great first step, but it didn't go far enough.

Old 09-26-2010, 10:29 AM

15,852 posts, read 35,142,600 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ndfmnlf View Post
Written like a fairy tale. "Eat right and you'll live happily ever after." Oddly enough, a lot of people who ultimately end up needing liver transplants or other expensive remedies start out thinking like you. They think eating lots of veggies, getting lots of sleep, etc will keep them healthy. Not that there's anything wrong with these habits, they should be encouraged for everyone. But for those who have underlying genetic problems that are going to manifest themselves regardless of what lifestyle choices you make, you are just deluding yourself if you think you can fix your own problems by making the "right lifestyle choices".

You still end up at the ER needing $500K in treatment. What next?
Let make sure I understand what you are saying.

You're saying that lifestyle choices have no effect whatsoever on health? I would say that about 99.999999 percent of conventional doctors disagree with you.

The single most important factor in health is what you eat. And, if you are familiar with Genetics you would understand that if a particular illness is hereditary you only have a 25% chance (if one of your parents carry the gene) or a 50% chance (if both of your parents carry the gene), that you will develop the symptoms.

Even chronic illnesses such as diabetes have been successfully treated with diet alone. More and more conventional medicine is "discovering" the vital role that diet plays in the treatment and cure of other diseases as well.

I sir, would not find myself facing a $500,000 transplant because I know how to take care of myself. As I said, you can lose 80 percent of the function of the liver and it can and will regenerate under proper care. It's just a matter of finding out what to do.

I pity people who are rendered helpless by the control of the system into believing that there is only one medical answer to their problem, when in fact, it is only the big pharma and conventional medicine PROFIT machine that is at work. So sad. So very sad.

20yrsinBranson

Old 09-26-2010, 10:32 AM

86,052 posts, read 84,509,263 times
So, folks want unlimited healthcare for everyone.

HOW DO YOU PAY FOR IT ?

Old 09-26-2010, 10:34 AM

90,297 posts, read 120,796,716 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
So, folks want unlimited healthcare for everyone.

HOW DO YOU PAY FOR IT ?
Where do you come up with "unlimited"?

Old 09-26-2010, 10:38 AM

6,734 posts, read 9,343,835 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by txgolfer130 View Post
I would be in that group.
As am I. Once the (poll popular) public option was eliminated, Obamacare lost my support.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies