Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-26-2010, 10:41 AM

6,734 posts, read 9,343,835 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
So, folks want unlimited healthcare for everyone.

HOW DO YOU PAY FOR IT ?
Who's paying for it under the current insurance system? The same people will be paying but the overhead will drop by about 30%. (under a single payer system)

BTW, what is "unlimited" healthcare...is that a new proposal?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-26-2010, 10:43 AM

86,052 posts, read 84,509,263 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ozzie679 View Post
Who's paying for it under the current insurance system? The same people will be paying but the overhead will drop by about 30%. (under a single payer system)

BTW, what is "unlimited" healthcare...is that a new proposal?
No..you got that 9/23...no more caps. There is no lifetime limit anymore.

Old 09-26-2010, 10:44 AM

90,297 posts, read 120,796,716 times
Quote:
No..you got that 9/23...no more caps. There is no lifetime limit anymore.
Not the same thing. There can still be non-covered services.

Old 09-26-2010, 11:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
Not the same thing. There can still be non-covered services.
You always had non covered. But now there is no limit to the covered.
That is new since 9/23.

Now every insurance company has to re-insure..every one.
That cost to re-insure will be passed on to us even though few actually hit that lifetime max.

Old 09-26-2010, 11:15 AM

90,297 posts, read 120,796,716 times
Quote:
You always had non covered. But now there is no limit to the covered.
That is new since 9/23.

Now every insurance company has to re-insure..every one.
That cost to re-insure will be passed on to us even though few actually hit that lifetime max.
You don't understand what I'm saying. There will still be formularies for drugs, and some companies won't cover every med prescribed. There will still be procedures that will not be a covered benefit, e.g. plastic surgery in almost all cases, LASIK, experimental treatment (defined by the ins. company), etc.

Currently, when people reach their lifetime limit, they end up on medicaid, SSI, or some other public program. We pay either way.

Old 09-26-2010, 03:45 PM

44,882 posts, read 33,280,580 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mohawkx View Post
To answer your question, the disparity comes from the fact that the pre-existing condition clause and the insurance mandate are a married solution. You can't have one without the other. mandates are supposed to cover the additional cost of insurance companies covering all the pre existing conditions. Unfortunately, the pre existing conditions clause went into effect last week, but the mandate doesn't take effect until 2013, I think. Thus, premiums will probably go up for private insurance. I'm not defending any of this, just trying to answer your question, so please don't pick a fight with me.

By the way, I had this overwhelming urge to tune into Glen Beck today but he wasn't on. Probably won't happen for another 10 years.
Beck was on Saturday but not at the normal time.

I will have to say that you are safe when you don't really try.

I nearly forgot to mention that January 1, 2011 the most painful part of this law, for those with employer provided insurance will begin to pay for the parts of it you mentioned here. That is the day that they get to start paying income taxes on the amount their employers pay for their insurance. Yep, it officially will be reported to the IRS as part of their income. That means that it is no longer a benefit of employment.

Nasty Nancy was right when she said we have to pass it to find out what is in it.

Old 09-26-2010, 03:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mohawkx View Post
Believe me when I say that after your first open heart surgery, you'll treasure every sunrise and give or do anything you have to see tomorrow's if necessary. Ask me how I know.
Ok, consider yourself asked. I know a bit about what you say since I had emergency 6 bypass surgery for 3 over 90% plugged arteries and three over 80% like that. Every morning is really a blessing for which I never fail to give thanks for.

Old 09-26-2010, 03:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ahzzie View Post
I too think the health care package doesn't go far enough but it's a decent start. We need universal health care.
How can this need be paid for? That is a very important question that I never see anyone who thinks like you mention an answer for.

Old 09-26-2010, 03:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
You don't understand what I'm saying. There will still be formularies for drugs, and some companies won't cover every med prescribed. There will still be procedures that will not be a covered benefit, e.g. plastic surgery in almost all cases, LASIK, experimental treatment (defined by the ins. company), etc.

Currently, when people reach their lifetime limit, they end up on medicaid, SSI, or some other public program. We pay either way.
I never said anything about non covered items/procedures. You did.
I said there is no more cap on lifetime limits of what is covered.
Few people reach those limits but now EVERY INSURER HAS TO RE-INSURE FOR IT.

Old 09-26-2010, 03:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sporin View Post
That's always been my issue with it. Healthcare "reform" without a single-payer option isn't really "reform" at all.

This was a great first step, but it didn't go far enough.
We didn't get healthcare reform with that law. We got healthcare insurance reform and you will be amazed to see what happens with this one along with who actually gets to pay for it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies