Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: How do you react to heterosexuals who are anti-homosexual?
I usually agree with them 25 19.08%
I usually disagree with them 88 67.18%
I'm neutral on the subject 18 13.74%
Voters: 131. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-07-2010, 09:10 AM

29,981 posts, read 42,953,749 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mb1547 View Post
Christ came here to teach us love and acceptance--compassion as a way of honoring God. Thanks for posting this. You said what I was thinking, but much more eloquently.
It is possible to love and accept the human being with compassion without condoning or promoting the sexual behavior. Wouldn't you agree?

Old 10-07-2010, 09:14 AM

23,416 posts, read 37,021,617 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Calvinist View Post
apparently you have not taken a history class. no one is being discriminated against because we all have the EXACT SAME RIGHTS. Can you name a right that I have that a gay man does not? I can't marry someone of the same gender either. Neither of us are guaranteed marriage for love.
You are again deliberately missing the point, because no one can be that obtuse.
From reading your past posts, I have taken away from them the thought that you seem to be light years away from having any real compassion for anyone that doesnt share your world view.
I'll pray for enlightenment for you, thats about all anyone can do at this point.

Old 10-07-2010, 09:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lifelongMOgal View Post
It is possible to love and accept the human being with compassion without condoning or promoting the sexual behavior. Wouldn't you agree?
Forgiveness is a component of love and acceptance.
At least, thats what my dear friend, who is a pastor, preaches.

Old 10-07-2010, 09:19 AM

3,849 posts, read 3,754,589 times
Quote:
That is exactly the way liberals label those who are pro-life. They label them anti-woman. I really don't see a difference as far as the labeling is concerned. Technically the homosexual political agenda and those supporting it are seeking special privleges for a specific group rather than actual "equal rights" where the exact same laws apply to everyone across the board regardless of gender and sexual orientation.
This liberal has NEVER labeled anyone 'anti-woman' for their pro-life stance. Especially since most of the pro-life people I know ARE women.
And what 'special privileges' are gays seeking? If same sex marriage becomes legal across the board, it also would apply to heterosexuals as much as homosexuals. (Which is, of course, why I always refer to it as same sex marriage rather than 'gay marriage'.)

Old 10-07-2010, 09:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MsMcQ LV View Post

And what 'special privileges' are gays seeking? If same sex marriage becomes legal across the board, it also would apply to heterosexuals as much as homosexuals. (Which is, of course, why I always refer to it as same sex marriage rather than 'gay marriage'.)
For the life of me, I dont get why people convolute what is essentially a very clear issue, why is that????

Old 10-07-2010, 09:37 AM

4,105 posts, read 8,292,489 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Calvinist View Post
apparently you have not taken a history class. no one is being discriminated against because we all have the EXACT SAME RIGHTS. Can you name a right that I have that a gay man does not? I can't marry someone of the same gender either. Neither of us are guaranteed marriage for love.

Except that the law does not discriminate currently.
What bizarre reasoning. That would be like saying, "I wouldn't be able to vote either if I were black-- so we have equal rights!"

How about the right to serve in the military, or rent an apartment or have a job without the threat of becoming homeless or unemployed due to your sexual orientation? In a whole lot of states, there are no protections for gays when it comes to housing or employment.

Old 10-07-2010, 09:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brattpowered View Post
What bizarre reasoning. That would be like saying, "I wouldn't be able to vote either if I were black-- so we have equal rights!"

How about the right to serve in the military, or rent an apartment or have a job without the threat of becoming homeless or unemployed due to your sexual orientation? In a whole lot of states, there are no protections for gays when it comes to housing or employment.
Calling that statement that you quoted "reasoning", is a stretch.

Old 10-07-2010, 10:00 AM

10,092 posts, read 8,210,076 times
Quote:
Here's where I think the big divisions are coming from. Some groups view homosexuality as entirely a choice--they believe that in nature, there is only one sexual orientation (heterosexual) and that people who engage in same sex behavior are heterosexuals who choose to have sex with people of the same gender. They believe that other homosexuals try to recruit people to this behavior, and they see homosexual behavior as deviant sexuality.

Other people believe that there is enough scientific proof to back up the belief that there is a biological basis in gender preference, although we are still (as in many areas of human health) learning what might cause those types of differences. They also look at the substantial evidence that many people identify as homosexual from childhood--often growing up knowing they were different without ever knowing another openly homosexual person--there was no chance of cultural influences being a factor. They look at the fact that same sex partners do, in fact, occur in nature among animals. Since animals are driven by instinct vs. values, it lessens the case for homosexuality being a choice. You also have to factor in the extreme prejudice that homosexuals can still face in this country--no rational person would choose to face that type of discrimination.

BYU NewsNet - Professor claims scientific evidence of homosexuality (http://newsnet.byu.edu/story.cfm/49488 - broken link)
Biology and sexual orientation - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

I don't know why we have gay people in the world (I'm not going to be arrogant enough to try to question God's plan), but based on the evidence, I'm convinced they're part of the natural world. My church backs up that belief as well, although I know some of you belong to denominations that don't. Someone said it earlier and I fully believe this--God didn't create mistakes. I think our challenge is to express love and compassion toward people who we see as different from ourselves--to find our common humanity.

If you see homosexuality as entirely an issue of choice and behavior, you're going to instead judge the behavior as right or wrong based on your personal religious values. Then the question becomes one of whether or not this country should legislate behavior based on one groups personal faith convictions, particularly when the individual isn't hurting themselves or the community with their actions.

Old 10-07-2010, 10:04 AM

11,466 posts, read 19,358,545 times
Quote:

Blacks can't vote?, homosexual's can't rent apartments or join the Military?

Old 10-07-2010, 10:06 AM

6,484 posts, read 6,620,504 times
Quote:
No...that would be saying "I can't vote in Canada either because neither of us live there".

Honestly...Gay people can get married....not my fault they don't want to observe the rules as they stand now.
Quote:
Is who I sleep with an issue when it comes to the military, apartment rental, or a job? I don't know that I really discuss that sort of stuff with my boss or landlord.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies