Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: How do you react to heterosexuals who are anti-homosexual?
I usually agree with them 25 19.08%
I usually disagree with them 88 67.18%
I'm neutral on the subject 18 13.74%
Voters: 131. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-07-2010, 10:22 AM

10,092 posts, read 8,205,160 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calvinist View Post
No...that would be saying "I can't vote in Canada either because neither of us live there".

Honestly...Gay people can get married....not my fault they don't want to observe the rules as they stand now.

Is who I sleep with an issue when it comes to the military, apartment rental, or a job? I don't know that I really discuss that sort of stuff with my boss or landlord.
This is getting old--I don't know why some of you keep arguing with this guy.

Your whole argument is that gays have the same rights as straight people because they can marry--they just can't marry who they want to. That's disingenuous and you know it. The existing law is biased in the premise that sexual preference is a choice vs. a biological state, and that the behavior is immoral based on your personal religious convictions. The argument for gay rights is that bias should be removed from the law--that sexual preference is not a moral choice, and the behavior is only considered immoral based on a portion of the population's religious standards.

Old 10-07-2010, 10:35 AM

23,416 posts, read 37,001,401 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mb1547 View Post

Your whole argument is that gays have the same rights as straight people because they can marry--they just can't marry who they want to. That's disingenuous and you know it. The existing law is biased in the premise that sexual preference is a choice vs. a biological state, and that the behavior is immoral based on your personal religious convictions. The argument for gay rights is that bias should be removed from the law--that sexual preference is not a moral choice, and the behavior is only considered immoral based on a portion of the population's religious standards.
I know that poster totally understands the argument, for some bizarre reason he just seems to want to bait anyone that doesnt agree with his world view.
And you are right, it IS disingenuous, really good way to try and put forth his views in a thoughtful, intelligent manner, dont you think?
Posts such as theirs merely reinforce what others think about their stance.
Which isnt much.

Old 10-07-2010, 10:44 AM

6,484 posts, read 6,617,004 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mb1547 View Post
I've systematically disassembled every argument you've brought to the table and now you're whining about it. Just give me some logical, thought out responses that aren't just emotion and maybe I'll understand your point of view.
Quote:
Your whole argument is that gays have the same rights as straight people because they can marry--they just can't marry who they want to. That's disingenuous and you know it. The existing law is biased in the premise that sexual preference is a choice vs. a biological state, and that the behavior is immoral based on your personal religious convictions.
Actually....no. The morality of it is secondary, actually.
Quote:

The argument for gay rights is that bias should be removed from the law--that sexual preference is not a moral choice, and the behavior is only considered immoral based on a portion of the population's religious standards.
So you're arguing that we should change marriage law to allow for someone who likes to sleep with the same gender to marry the same gender. OK...I get that. I personally do not think that making special rules that apply to a very small minority is a wise thing to do. Can you give me logical reason why this would be a good thing?

Quote:
Originally Posted by kshe95girl View Post
I know that poster totally understands the argument, for some bizarre reason he just seems to want to bait anyone that doesnt agree with his world view.
And you seem unwilling to realize that what it comes down to is that there is currently no discrimination whatsoever, because marriage law does not ask the question of who you like to sleep with. For some reason you choose to argue from emotion and think if you whine enough we'll just see things your way.

Try to be logical here please and explain why you think we should allow a special form of marriage for a select few people based on who they like to sleep with.
Quote:

And you are right, it IS disingenuous, really good way to try and put forth his views in a thoughtful, intelligent manner, dont you think?
Posts such as theirs merely reinforce what others think about their stance.
Which isnt much.
I'll be here if/when you are able to provide a logical, coherent argument.

Old 10-07-2010, 10:46 AM

26,680 posts, read 28,670,280 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roaddog View Post
homosexual's can't rent apartments or join the Military?
They can, but:

1. In most states, it's legal to evict a tenant based on their sexual orientation. It's not legal to evict someone based on their skin color.

2. The military treats people differently based on their sexual orientation. If you're interested in the opposite sex, you can talk about your relationships, your marriage, and who you've having sex with. If you're interested in the same sex, talking about those things is grounds for dismissal. That's discrimination and a violation of free speech rights.

Old 10-07-2010, 10:47 AM

Quote:
I've systematically disassembled every argument you've brought to the table and now you're whining about it.
No, you havent.
Not at all.
All you have done is dodge the core issue.
There have been more than a few logical posts on this thread, which you have chosen to ignore.
All anyone can do at this point is pray for you.
I'm soooooo glad you are not in charge of MY civil rights, as you dont seem to think anyone needs any.

Old 10-07-2010, 10:51 AM

Quote:
No, you havent.
Not at all.
All you have done is dodge the core issue.
There have been more than a few logical posts on this thread, which you have chosen to ignore.
All anyone can do at this point is pray for you.
All I am asking for is for you to give me one reason why we should allow someone to "marry" someone based on their sexual preference. Can you do that?

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnUnidentifiedMale View Post
They can, but:

1. In most states, it's legal to evict a tenant based on their sexual orientation. It's not legal to evict someone based on their skin color.
I personally have never discussed my sex life with a landlord. How is that even an issue?
Quote:
2. The military treats people differently based on their sexual orientation. If you're interested in the opposite sex, you can talk about your relationships, your marriage, and who you've having sex with. If you're interested in the same sex, talking about those things is grounds for dismissal. That's discrimination and a violation of free speech rights.
Gee...that's a shocker. You have a bunch of testosterone in a room together and someone starts saying they like boys...and that's an issue. Like it or not, I think it would be a morale issue to have a bunch of meatheads sharing bunks with men that like other men.

Old 10-07-2010, 10:52 AM

Quote:
All I am asking for is for you to give me one reason why we should allow someone to "marry" someone based on their sexual preference. Can you do that?
I've already done that, several pages back.
If you cant comprehend what myself and others have posted, well, I cant help you there.

Old 10-07-2010, 10:59 AM

Quote:
I've already done that, several pages back.
If you cant comprehend what myself and others have posted, well, I cant help you there.
No...you really haven't. You've argued your point based on the idea that straight people can marry straight people based on love or sexual attraction.

Unfortunately, your argument is invalid because people can marry for many reasons, these 2 being just a couple of them. When you get a marriage license you are not asked if you are in love. I personally know several people that have arranged marriages. It's a popular thing in some cultures. They are very happily married.

Again, I ask: Can you provide 1 good reason for it?

Old 10-07-2010, 10:59 AM

26,680 posts, read 28,670,280 times
Quote:

I personally have never discussed my sex life with a landlord. How is that even an issue?

Gee...that's a shocker. You have a bunch of testosterone in a room together and someone starts saying they like boys...and that's an issue. Like it or not, I think it would be a morale issue to have a bunch of meatheads sharing bunks with men that like other men.
Whatever. I'm not going to argue with you because I know you're on the losing side of all of these things. Freedom and liberty are expanding, not contracting.

Old 10-07-2010, 11:03 AM

Quote:
No...you really haven't. You've argued your point based on the idea that straight people can marry straight people based on love or sexual attraction.

Unfortunately, your argument is invalid because people can marry for many reasons, these 2 being just a couple of them. When you get a marriage license you are not asked if you are in love. I personally know several people that have arranged marriages. It's a popular thing in some cultures. They are very happily married.

Again, I ask: Can you provide 1 good reason for it?

Ok, at this point, I know beyond the shadow of a doubt you are last wording and baiting.
I have 2 words for you, which you have chosen to ignore.....here they are....

CIVIL RIGHTS

Got it?
I think not.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies