Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-04-2007, 04:22 PM

193 posts, read 1,028,303 times

Advertisements

I was under the impression that our government was created to serve and protect. When was it changed to be the governing decision on all aspects of life. They were not supposed to be the deciding factor on issues such as welfare and child development. Shouldn't these things be decided by state level officials. My thought is that if the government would spend less time on these issues that could be handled by the state, then they could spend more time and effort on things like protecting our country. I think our forefathers would be shocked to see how the government is handled in this day and age.

What are your thoughts?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-04-2007, 04:29 PM

31,304 posts, read 32,891,980 times
We truly need less government control in our lives and in the areas that we do need them they are failing "at what they do". Our forefathers are rolling over in their graves with what has been going on.

Old 07-04-2007, 05:19 PM

2,267 posts, read 3,300,061 times
It is typically a Republican kind of thing to act like they are the dissapproving parents of poor behaving children...hopefully once this adminstration is a memory the Democrats are in power...that will change.

Old 07-04-2007, 05:22 PM

4,410 posts, read 6,140,391 times
Protecting our country is quite different from protecting our citizens. People often mistake the word "country" for a concept that includes the people themselves. The Defense Department protects the government and its infrastructure, not the citizens. It is there to protect the elected officials, not the average person. Sadly, you and I are expendable. We paid the bill, but no services will be rendered.

The question "Is our government taking too much control?" has one word that really stands out: "taking". Taking can be done willingly or unwillingly. Since our government hasn't been consciously forcing its control over us, we must be allowing our freedoms to be stolen with our consent. It's been a slow process drawn out over decades, one few have paid attention to. A small freedom here, an imposition there, a downright nuisance over there. An innocuous line on a new bill passed in Congress in the middle of the night, a new regulation in response to some perceived threat. The amount we have lost is astounding.

Old 07-05-2007, 05:46 AM

3,457 posts, read 4,655,228 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lisa_from_Debary View Post
It is typically a Republican kind of thing to act like they are the dissapproving parents of poor behaving children...hopefully once this adminstration is a memory the Democrats are in power...that will change.
Hopefully it won't boil down to a Democratic/Republican thing and we can all unite but I don't see that happening. If the Democrats do take over, I think we will be worse off in terms of larger government and more intrusion.

And the worst part is that once these powers are out there, will anyone ever give them back?

Old 07-05-2007, 06:25 AM

193 posts, read 1,028,303 times
BigHouse 9

I could not agree with you more!!

Old 07-05-2007, 06:58 AM

2,356 posts, read 3,478,778 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lisa_from_Debary View Post
That is far from reality. The platform for Republicans consistently has been less government regulation, not more. At the same time, Democrats have consistently pushed for government to have more centralized control.

The current administration has made some decisions that are contrary to the Republicans' 'small-government' philosophy, but you're mistaken if you think that Democrats are going to allot more power to the individual states.

For example, who is pushing for national health care?
Who wants tariffs on imported goods?
Who wanted a higher minimum wage?
Who wants stronger federal environmental controls?
Who pushes for stronger federal gun-control laws?
Who wants to increase gov't-controlled social security?

Not that these policies are "bad" or "good", but they are just a few examples of how the democratic party favors a stronger federal government.

Old 07-05-2007, 07:12 AM

3,457 posts, read 4,655,228 times
anonymous -

I wouldn't say "stronger" federal government, just more controlling. The 2 are far different.

Old 07-05-2007, 07:30 AM

2,356 posts, read 3,478,778 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigHouse9 View Post
anonymous -

I wouldn't say "stronger" federal government, just more controlling. The 2 are far different.
So what do you think the difference is?

I disagree, I think they are the exact same thing.

It's the difference between "Used Cars" and "Pre-Owned Vehicles". Saying "Stronger" puts a positive spin on it, saying "Controlling" puts a negative spin.

Old 07-05-2007, 08:03 AM

13,406 posts, read 28,739,320 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lpdsag View Post
I was under the impression that our government was created to serve and protect. When was it changed to be the governing decision on all aspects of life. They were not supposed to be the deciding factor on issues such as welfare and child development. Shouldn't these things be decided by state level officials. My thought is that if the government would spend less time on these issues that could be handled by the state, then they could spend more time and effort on things like protecting our country. I think our forefathers would be shocked to see how the government is handled in this day and age.

What are your thoughts?
A big fat YES!!!! They spend more time on BS issues that they should not even be involved with that it's a no wonder the issues they should be concentrating on are a mess...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies