Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-16-2010, 02:54 PM

10,834 posts, read 14,936,147 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by joey2000 View Post
It already is restricted, even if very loosely so (have to be 18, etc).

But yes, increase that restriction absolutely. How much is the tricky part. I would love to see some kind of "voter test" that you have to get at least a certain % correct on or you don't vote.
Age should be increased back to 21.

Yeah, "if they are old enough to fight in the US military blah, blah, blah...." tell that to veterans of WWII, Korea and Vietnam.

A simple test with 10 questions would be invaluable.

1. Name the three branches of government.

2. Pick out Iowa on this map. For Iowans pick out West Virginia.

3. Where is Mexico on this world globe?

4. The United States is a Republic Democracy (circle one).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-16-2010, 03:03 PM

258 posts, read 540,907 times
I like the idea of making people PAY for their voting decisions. If you vote for this then you will have X dollars taken out of your paycheck to pay for it.

If you want the pot holes around town fixed and you vote yes, you should have your wages garnished to pay for it.

If it cost 50,000 to fix potholes and 100,000 people voted yes then each person should have $2 garnished.

Old 10-16-2010, 03:10 PM

13,778 posts, read 9,662,744 times
I believe that ultimately all citizens 18 and over should have the right to vote. It's the corporations and lobbies that should be excluded from the voting process.

Old 10-16-2010, 04:26 PM

17,764 posts, read 39,731,146 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mhouse2001 View Post
Pass a test of who and what is on the ballot, in English, and you get to vote. One's ignorance shouldn't be empowered. You have to pass a driving test, right? Well, before you drive the ship of state, you better prove you know something about it.
that would require a vote for this country to have an official language.

Old 10-16-2010, 04:27 PM

17,764 posts, read 39,731,146 times
Let women have the vote ... only women!

Old 10-16-2010, 04:48 PM

10,092 posts, read 8,205,160 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by djmilf View Post
That's what poll tests (which is pretty much what you're advocating) have traditionally accomplished - keeping the undesirables from voting, whether because they're the wrong color for the poll-worker or because they don't subscribe to the poll-worker's economic theories.

Different target group - same effect. Which is why poll tests were outlawed.
Exactly--even if it wasn't specifically used to keep minorities from voting as it was in the past, it would certainly eliminate most people with a high school education or less--the working class and the poor. If you people hate this country so much, and think people's voice in the government should be determined by the size of their checkbook, why don't you all go buy land in South America or on an island somewhere together and form your own little dictatorship or feudal system or whatever the flavor of the day in right wing oppressive governments might be. You could do exactly what you want there, and we'd all be happier.

Old 10-16-2010, 04:48 PM

33,387 posts, read 34,841,834 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Memphis1979 View Post
Everyone should be allowed to vote, above the age of 18.
as long as one is an american citizen, and their constitutional rights have not been suspended, and they are over 18, i agree.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mercury Cougar View Post
I also believe that felons should have their voting rights reinstated once they finish their time in prison and successfully complete their probation.
felons can have many of their constitutional rights reinstated, but they have to petition the courts to get them back. but i agree, if a felon can get their rights back, then they should also be allowed to vote.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mquest123 View Post
The constitution is wonderful, but sometime people give it to much weight. Is the constitution God? Is the constitution perfect?
no the constitution is not perfect, which is why there is an amendment process to make changes. and the amendment process is necessarily difficult to avoid knee jerk changes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nicet4 View Post
Age should be increased back to 21.

Yeah, "if they are old enough to fight in the US military blah, blah, blah...." tell that to veterans of WWII, Korea and Vietnam.
no, 18 is a fine age to start voting.

Quote:
A simple test with 10 questions would be invaluable.

1. Name the three branches of government.

2. Pick out Iowa on this map. For Iowans pick out West Virginia.

3. Where is Mexico on this world globe?

4. The United States is a Republic Democracy (circle one).
i wonder how many people would fail this little test......

Quote:
Originally Posted by mohawkx View Post
I believe that ultimately all citizens 18 and over should have the right to vote. It's the corporations and lobbies that should be excluded from the voting process.
i dont recall corporations being able to vote, only people.

Quote:
Originally Posted by domergurl View Post
Let women have the vote ... only women!
oh lord, if that happens i will have to change my drivers license, and i look terrible in a dress, and where would i get a purse that looks halfway decent, let alone having to learn to walk in high heels.........

Old 10-16-2010, 04:50 PM

5,719 posts, read 6,447,937 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mquest123 View Post
I think it should be restricted. Do we really need people voting that don't understand basic economics?

Do we need people voting for things just because they sound good.

Here is an example: "If you elect me everyone will get blah blah blah"

An ignorant person says YEAH YEAH YEAH lets vote this person in.

A smart person says "How is this going to be paid for"

Picture the dumbest person you know, then picture that person voting on your child's future.

Heck, if you think I'm dumb, picture me voting for your child's future.
I don't think it should be restricted. I even disagree with felons not being allowed to vote.

Old 10-16-2010, 04:54 PM

10,092 posts, read 8,205,160 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rbohm View Post
oh lord, if that happens i will have to change my drivers license, and i look terrible in a dress, and where would i get a purse that looks halfway decent, let alone having to learn to walk in high heels.........
LOL--that was a mental image I didn't need to have. Just teasing you... For the record, my DH would be trying to sneak in line with you, and he has permanent 5 o'clock shadow...it wouldn't be pretty.

Old 10-16-2010, 04:56 PM

33,387 posts, read 34,841,834 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mb1547 View Post
LOL--that was a mental image I didn't need to have. Just teasing you... For the record, my DH would be trying to sneak in line with you, and he has permanent 5 o'clock shadow...it wouldn't be pretty.
i have to have some fun you know.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies