Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-16-2010, 06:11 PM

2,564 posts, read 1,596,692 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by kentuckydad95 View Post
I leave work early yesterday because I was feeling awful. I had my wife take me straight to the doctors office. Now when I say doctors office, I mean one of those mega-clinics where there are doctors of different specialties and a ton of ARNP's. You see someone different every time you are there. At least in my area, this is what has replaced the general family doctor. You see someone different every time you are there, usually.

Anyway, I go in, give them my co-pay and take a seat in the massive waiting area. I get called back where they weigh me, sit me in a little room, take my blood pressure and temp and ask why I am there today. In that order. Then an ARNP (nurse practitioner) comes in and asks me why I am there. I give the symptoms and she has me sit up on the table. She listens to my lungs and heart. Checks my ears with the light and then the kicker. She checks in my mouth and tells me to say ahhhh. I comply and she says, "Well your throat looks raw, but you tonsils look fine."

I'm glad my tonsils look good because I haven't had them for 20 years!!! She gives me an Rx for antibiotics and scoots me out the door. From weigh in to finish...6 minutes. What the hell are we running for healthcare? Express lane service? How many serious conditions get missed because they don't actually examine you or listen? I mean, how and the hell can you look at someone's throat and not know they don't have tonsils? Anyway, they will bill my insurance for the standard $125 fee. For 5 minutes of nothing.

LOL! When my Dad was in the hospital in 2002 for a colonectomy, he knew exactly who his surgeon was so expected to see him, expected to see the assigned hospital floor doctor too. The others that drifted through, he called them the doorknobholders, in there barely long enough to say "you're fine", then scribble something, probably "he's fine". CA-CHING!

Last edited by aspiesmom; 10-16-2010 at 06:40 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-16-2010, 06:12 PM

Location: Georgia, on the Florida line, right above Tallahassee
10,471 posts, read 15,835,178 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rbohm View Post
yes i know, but it will get far worse under obamacare. with fewer doctors available, many have left the profession already, and many more are expected to leave by 2014 because of the new law, wait times are going to get longer. doctors and FNPs are going to have far less time with their patients as there will be far more patients to see daily. new regulations means more paperwork that medical offices have to fill out, which is already happening, and while medical offices are switching over to computers, there is still a ton of work that needs to be done that does NOTHING for the patient. doctors are going to be getting less money from medicare and medicaid, and many are already dropping those programs, others are just tnot taking new patients in those programs.
And these doctors will be delivering your pizza, or something. "Cuz they can't/won't be a doctor no more. I bet it's a pinpoint delivery with surgical accuracy. Be sure to tip well. Going from 100K+ to minimum wage is gonna hurt, I'd imagine.

Old 10-16-2010, 06:12 PM

1,176 posts, read 1,820,094 times
"Why do you go there?" If he is like me he goes to the only doctor who will see him. When I was forced to go on Medicare (because I reached 65 and was told by my previous insurer that they were no longer allowed to cover me), my regular doctor refused to see me any more or even give a referral. After cold calling three other doctors, I finally found one who would take me; but only after I promised the receptionist that I really was very healthy and wouldn't take much of the doctor's time. Is this what the future holds for all of us on Obamacare? I think so, especially since there will be more people vying for the services of fewer doctors.

Old 10-16-2010, 06:25 PM

37,972 posts, read 22,157,422 times
Quote:
I leave work early yesterday because I was feeling awful. I had my wife take me straight to the doctors office. Now when I say doctors office, I mean one of those mega-clinics where there are doctors of different specialties and a ton of ARNP's. You see someone different every time you are there. At least in my area, this is what has replaced the general family doctor. You see someone different every time you are there, usually.

Anyway, I go in, give them my co-pay and take a seat in the massive waiting area. I get called back where they weigh me, sit me in a little room, take my blood pressure and temp and ask why I am there today. In that order. Then an ARNP (nurse practitioner) comes in and asks me why I am there. I give the symptoms and she has me sit up on the table. She listens to my lungs and heart. Checks my ears with the light and then the kicker. She checks in my mouth and tells me to say ahhhh. I comply and she says, "Well your throat looks raw, but you tonsils look fine."

I'm glad my tonsils look good because I haven't had them for 20 years!!! She gives me an Rx for antibiotics and scoots me out the door. From weigh in to finish...6 minutes. What the hell are we running for healthcare? Express lane service? How many serious conditions get missed because they don't actually examine you or listen? I mean, how and the hell can you look at someone's throat and not know they don't have tonsils? Anyway, they will bill my insurance for the standard $125 fee. For 5 minutes of nothing.
Well, it certainly will end up being cheaper, and that is all we will have, if the left has their single-payer way of it.

Old 10-16-2010, 06:38 PM

10,181 posts, read 10,260,457 times
Quote:

Why didn't you tell the dummy you didn't have tonsils? Or did you?

Old 10-16-2010, 06:46 PM

3,791 posts, read 8,900,987 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sawdustmaker View Post
Why didn't you tell the dummy you didn't have tonsils? Or did you?
She was going through her, "I will give you antibiotics" speech by the time she took out the tongue depressor. And besides, would it have mattered? She should have seen I didn't have them. Plus...the bottom line is:

THEY DON'T CARE!!!

Old 10-16-2010, 07:02 PM

48,502 posts, read 96,867,563 times
Well lok at mdicaid ;50% of doctors do not acdept them;so its cliniss such as this. Mnay medicare paetients can't get a new doctor because so mnay are not accepting new patients unlesss related to a exisitng patient.If you look at universal countries thay all have prvate patinets which are treated right away at privte hospitals.Right now its hard to get a premary physican wh8ch I recommend people get one. The cheaper way to treast is by nurse practiioner treating more patients like most countries.whe doctors and hosipitals get paid less they make cuts;plain and simple.

Old 10-16-2010, 07:15 PM

3,219 posts, read 6,582,736 times
Quote:
She was going through her, "I will give you antibiotics" speech by the time she took out the tongue depressor. And besides, would it have mattered? She should have seen I didn't have them. Plus...the bottom line is:

THEY DON'T CARE!!!
I'm sorry about your ordeal, sounds like a McDonalds Drive Thru not a doctors office.

On the whole as a society we have become INHUMANE IMHO.

It's only getting worse with each passing freakin

Will having surgery follow this model? Heaven forbid!

Old 10-16-2010, 07:38 PM

29,981 posts, read 42,939,504 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stillkit View Post
Prove it.
Stuck on "prove it" today? Cannot come up with anything original or ability to do your own reading or research? Typical liberal.

Plenty of articles written by physicians and other health care providers are proof enough of the impending disaster upon our health care system that is Obamacare once implementation becomes mandatory. It was designed from the very start to be a failure in order to proceed to single payer government Socialized medicine the likes of what is in the U.K. at present. You know, the one where they ration care to the elderly by allowing them to die of dehydration in the hospitals.

Last edited by lifelongMOgal; 10-16-2010 at 08:23 PM.. Reason: typo

Old 10-16-2010, 07:41 PM

29,981 posts, read 42,939,504 times
Quote:

THEY DON'T CARE!!!
Sounds like it is time for you to find a new doctor & doctor's office while you still can.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies