Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-19-2010, 06:44 PM

3,791 posts, read 8,900,987 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by EDnurse View Post
I do not know if this is your case; however I had a tonsillectomy when I was 5 yrs old. By the time I was in my twenties, they had grown back!

Question: did you feel any better after the course antibiotics?
Yes. I feel better. Of course antibiotics have become a catch-all drug.

And for the 50th time since I started this thread, I looked again with a light into my throat. I DO NOT have tonsils in there. You would think with as much schooling a NP has to go through that they would have covered tonsils at some point. Maybe she was sick that day.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-19-2010, 06:50 PM

7,184 posts, read 4,768,189 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VMH2507 View Post
"Why do you go there?" If he is like me he goes to the only doctor who will see him. When I was forced to go on Medicare (because I reached 65 and was told by my previous insurer that they were no longer allowed to cover me), my regular doctor refused to see me any more or even give a referral. After cold calling three other doctors, I finally found one who would take me; but only after I promised the receptionist that I really was very healthy and wouldn't take much of the doctor's time. Is this what the future holds for all of us on Obamacare? I think so, especially since there will be more people vying for the services of fewer doctors.
I don't know about Obamacare, but that is your reality NOW.

Old 10-19-2010, 07:08 PM

3,734 posts, read 5,774,235 times
What I hate most about doctors is being asked a question, then being ignored, or cut-off, when you try to answer. If you manage to finish one sentence, they act like you're taking too much time. And whatever you say sends them into roll-the-eyes mode. I'm neither stupid nor uneducated. But doctors inevitably treat me as if I were. And if they don't want me answering their questions, then why do they ask them?

It is impossible to say anything that doctors will not belittle. Maybe that's why I haven't seen one in eight years.

Whenever I hear someone say "Discuss with your Physician", I have to laugh.

Old 10-19-2010, 07:14 PM

7,184 posts, read 4,768,189 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pghquest View Post
At first I thought this was going to be a story about how you have to explain 20 times why your there.. My fiance is in the hospital monthly.. (yes, monthly) for 7-8 days at a time. Each and everytime she's in the emergency room she's asked by no less than 8 different doctors, nurses etc why she's there.. It just blows my mind that she has to keep repeating what she's alergic to, and her medical history.

SHE"S THERE MONTHLY....
1. The Emergency Room is not designed to be a primary care setting. It is for emergencies: such as heart attacks, strokes, internal bleeding, bone fractures, respiratory distress, etc.

2. Any physician, nurse, etc would be at fault if they did not ask questions. For starters, things change. I, for one, do not trust charts. I have found mistakes in charts regarding medications, and medical histories.

3. Asking about allergies to medications is a safety matter. I would stay away from a nurse who hasn't asked about my medications/allergies before administering meds, especially in a busy, fast paced ER.

4. Your fiance would be better served by an internal medicine doctor with whom she can establish a long term rapport. Does she not have a doctor? or here is the kicker, does she not have insurance and have to go to the emergency room?

Last edited by EDnurse; 10-19-2010 at 07:40 PM..

Old 10-19-2010, 07:21 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,779,853 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EDnurse View Post
1. The Emergency Room is not designed to be a primary care setting. It is for emergencies: such as heart attacks, strokes, internal bleeding, bone fractures, respiratory distress, etc.

2. Any physician, nurse, etc would be at fault if they did not ask questions. For starters, things change. I, for one, do not trust charts. I have found mistakes in charts regarding medications, and medical histories.

3. Asking about allergies to medications is a safety matter. I would stay away from a nurse who hasn't asked about my medications/allergies before administering meds, especially in a busy, fast paced ER.

4. Your fiance would be better served by an internal medicine doctor with whom she can establish a long term rapport. Does she not have a doctor? or her is the kicker, does she not have insurance and have to go to the emergency room?
Agreed! At the pediatric office where I work, we ask the parents every time they present for care if the child has any allergies. One snarky father (it's almost always a guy that does these type of things) said "don't YOU keep records?" I replied, "Yes, but something may have cropped up since you were last here". What an a**!

Old 10-19-2010, 07:24 PM

13,163 posts, read 1,698,118 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
Agreed! At the pediatric office where I work, we ask the parents every time they present for care if the child has any allergies. One snarky father (it's almost always a guy that does these type of things) said "don't YOU keep records?" I replied, "Yes, but something may have cropped up since you were last here". What an a**!
That's your job to answer questions and explain when a patient asks. Even if you have to do it all day long. Next time they come, they won't ask the same question (even if you do)

Old 10-19-2010, 07:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by southward bound View Post
That's your job to answer questions and explain when a patient asks. Even if you have to do it all day long. Next time they come, they won't ask the same question.
Um, yeah. I don't understand your point?

Old 10-19-2010, 07:33 PM

13,163 posts, read 1,698,118 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
Um, yeah. I don't understand your point?
Sorry you missed it. My response was to the attitude expressed in your post.
("What an a**!")

There's something about patient care attitude that goes a long way in establishing rapport and trust, and is easily sensed by the patient. It involves empathy and understanding, especially (in this case) of a dad concerned about a child -- a dad who may not be as familiar with medical office procedures as a mom usually is.

Old 10-19-2010, 07:42 PM

^^Do you know anyone who doesn't kvetch a bit about their work and the situations they encounter? Everyone who does any kind of 'customer service' relates anecdotes like this. Go to the ed forum and read how the educators talk about parents. This is away from the patient. Why would a parent be offended if he (almost always as I said) was asked about allergies? I don't need a little lecture from you about "bedside manner". I didn't say it that way to the father, who was quite snarky with me, BTW. And before you fire up another post, yes, I know that no matter how the patients treat us, we have to be nice to them.

Old 10-19-2010, 07:42 PM

3,204 posts, read 2,868,562 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kentuckydad95 View Post
No, trust me...she didn't. She assumed I had tonsils.

I believe you, I've always had enlarged tonsils and was unable to have them removed. I was asked at what age I had them removed. Scary!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies