Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-23-2010, 08:10 AM

10,092 posts, read 8,207,970 times

Advertisements

My DH used to work for state government, and he was one of the people who helped negotiate the contract with the state workers union. He went in having a bias against them, but he changed his mind--his take was that they were working with the state in every way possible to make sure things ran more efficiently, but they weren't going to roll over and let their members be treated like dirt either. You have to respect that, and he did. He's a very fair person--blind bias against any group rarely takes you far in life.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-23-2010, 08:11 AM

16,259 posts, read 24,769,842 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shorebaby View Post
Smart move I am sure Mexico hopes the union sticks to their guns! That will be fewer union jobs!

You did read the companies profits were down significantly right?
Mexico doesn't care because they sneak over here to work anyway. Who wants to work in Mexico for $1 an hour when they can sneak in here and get $8 an hour?

Old 10-23-2010, 08:12 AM

1,162 posts, read 2,108,130 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KevK View Post
Do you know that, in many office building on many days, it is not necessary to turn on the overhead lights at all? The idea of overhead florescent lights is a left over from the days of the typewriter and paper. Most people work on a computer screen now and that and a small desk lamp will do most of the time. The funny thing is that my company takes just the opposite view. They require that ALL lights be on ALL the time in offices. Before we were bought the old company it was optional and employees could request that the fluorescent lights over their work areas be cut in favour of the small desk lamps they have.
Well, my company has always been behind with the times but they're getting better.

Last edited by amcjap; 10-23-2010 at 08:20 AM..

Old 10-23-2010, 08:13 AM

19,890 posts, read 18,758,413 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aspiesmom View Post
Yeah right, profits going down. Poor poor CEO's and shareholders, boohoo.
They can't pay their own American workers, but they can afford to move to another country and set up a new sweat shop
Unfortunately without shareholders you don't have the dough to run a company. Economics 101.

Sure moving to where labor costs are fair can make a move worthwhile.

Old 10-23-2010, 08:14 AM

19,890 posts, read 18,758,413 times
Quote:
Mexico doesn't care because they sneak over here to work anyway. Who wants to work in Mexico for $1 an hour when they can sneak in here and get $8 an hour?
Lol, yah I am sure there are a lot of illegal alien union members.....

Old 10-23-2010, 08:15 AM

3,562 posts, read 5,228,739 times
Quote:
It is refreshing to see a union with some backbone stand up against a bully corporation and say HELL NO to huge cuts in their benefits! The company tried to bully the union by issuing threats to "move to Louisiana" and "move to Mexico" if the workers refused to take a 10% cut in pay, 3 days less in vacation and huge cuts in the medical and dental benefits. And the workers told them rightfully to go straight to hell. Sometimes you just got to put all the chips on the table and let the dice fall where they will.

Machinists Reject Hawker Beechcraft Offer

Oh, and the company is not LOSING money either:

The Kathryn Report: Hawker Beechcraft sales down, profit up in 2nd Quarter (http://www.thekathrynreport.com/2009/08/hawker-beechcraft-sales-down-profit-up.html - broken link)
Quote:
It's over $220 a week, $800 a month," Hawker Beechcraft Machinist Mike Sparks says. "For what? They're gonna leave anyway," he adds.
Steve Carley, also a Hawker Beechcraft Machinist agrees, "They're gone anyway. They've been wanting to do this for years. I mean, they had this all planed up to 7 to 8 years ago when Raytheon had it."
Hell, yeah.

When you know this ^^^^ the only negotiations are about the 99 ways that you are NOT going to screw me. Do not let the door hit ya, where your good lord split ya!

Old 10-23-2010, 08:16 AM

16,259 posts, read 24,769,842 times
Quote:
Smart move I am sure Mexico hopes the union sticks to their guns! That will be fewer union jobs!

You did read the companies profits were down significantly right?
They are still making a profit. Everybody probably has down profits except Wall Street thanks to the taxpayers. We are in a recession. But they are not losing money either. If this was GM or Delta a few years ago, I might be more sympathetic to the company point of view.

Old 10-23-2010, 08:17 AM

12,372 posts, read 9,316,377 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mb1547 View Post
My DH used to work for state government, and he was one of the people who helped negotiate the contract with the state workers union. He went in having a bias against them, but he changed his mind--his take was that they were working with the state in every way possible to make sure things ran more efficiently, but they weren't going to roll over and let their members be treated like dirt either. You have to respect that, and he did. He's a very fair person--blind bias against any group rarely takes you far in life.
Many unions work with management in the same way. These people who are painting all unions with the same brush stroke or with attitudes that the unions haven't evolved since 50 years ago are just plain wrong and ill informed.

Old 10-23-2010, 08:17 AM

2,564 posts, read 1,597,054 times
Quote:
Lol, yah I am sure there are a lot of illegal alien union members.....
The federal law is upon the EMPLOYERS to document all their workers.

Old 10-23-2010, 08:19 AM

69,368 posts, read 64,128,317 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aspiesmom View Post
Yeah right, profits going down. Poor poor CEO's and shareholders, boohoo.
They can't pay their own American workers, but they can afford to move to another country and set up a new sweat shop
You can get a bank loan to move your company if it means increased profits. You cant get one to pay your employees if you arent generating enough to pay them

Its no wonder america has 10%+ unemployment
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies