Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-23-2010, 08:19 AM

19,890 posts, read 18,758,413 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevK View Post
They are still making a profit. Everybody probably has down profits except Wall Street thanks to the taxpayers. We are in a recession. But they are not losing money either. If this was GM or Delta a few years ago, I might be more sympathetic to the company point of view.
Lol, well you are quite the economist. Take a look at Apple, yes their growth ia anemic LMAO!!!! There are only hundreds of similar examples. By the way profitability is up at many companies despite lower revenues. How? Hint: look at the unemployment rage.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-23-2010, 08:23 AM

16,259 posts, read 24,769,842 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shorebaby View Post
Unfortunately without shareholders you don't have the dough to run a company. Economics 101.

Sure moving to where labor costs are fair can make a move worthwhile.
The average worker there probably makes about $52,000 a year. That is not exactly "big money" if you have a family.

Old 10-23-2010, 08:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shorebaby View Post
Lol, well you are quite the economist. Take a look at Apple, yes their growth ia anemic LMAO!!!! There are only hundreds of similar examples. By the way profitability is up at many companies despite lower revenues. How? Hint: look at the unemployment rage.
Apple is another greedy corporation. They have child sweat labour in the 3rd world make an Iphone for $4 and they sell it to you and me for $400.

Old 10-23-2010, 08:31 AM

1,436 posts, read 3,303,374 times
Quote:
The average worker there probably makes about $52,000 a year. That is not exactly "big money" if you have a family.
That's right..... but it's a millionaires salary in other parts of the world. Welcome to the GLOBAL economy..... learn to compete or close up shop and go home !

Quote:
Apple is another greedy corporation. They have child sweat labour in the 3rd world make an Iphone for $4 and they sell it to you and me for $400.
Then don't buy one ! Simple solution.....

Old 10-23-2010, 08:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayland Woman View Post
Many unions work with management in the same way. These people who are painting all unions with the same brush stroke or with attitudes that the unions haven't evolved since 50 years ago are just plain wrong and ill informed.
It is not the union's role to "work with management". The whole idea of having a union is for it to have an adversarial role with management. That doesn't mean that you go around looking for a fight with the company everyday or that you should be unreasonable in your dealings with the company. It just means that you remember that, just like an attorney, the worker is your client and that is who you are there to represent. If the company can give me a good argument on why this should be done or that should be changed, I am more than willing to listen and to make changes that are beneficial to both the company and the employees. But you always have to remember that management is not there to represent the interest of employees. They are your enemy and you are their enemy and you have to approach things from that perspective.

Old 10-23-2010, 08:39 AM

Default Which American Corporations Are Less GREEDY and make More PROFIT?

OK I will start with this one: Southwest Airlines. A UNION airline, pays employees well, has decent benefits yet it tops in customer service, has decent fares and it is a profitable airline.

Old 10-23-2010, 08:42 AM

32,816 posts, read 19,492,759 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dockside View Post
Good for that union...but what are they going to tell their members when the layoffs start?
exactly

Old 10-23-2010, 08:42 AM

10,092 posts, read 8,207,970 times
Quote:
It is not the union's role to "work with management". The whole idea of having a union is for it to have an adversarial role with management. That doesn't mean that you go around looking for a fight with the company everyday or that you should be unreasonable in your dealings with the company. It just means that you remember that, just like an attorney, the worker is your client and that is who you are there to represent. If the company can give me a good argument on why this should be done or that should be changed, I am more than willing to listen and to make changes that are beneficial to both the company and the employees. But you always have to remember that management is not there to represent the interest of employees. They are your enemy and you are their enemy and you have to approach things from that perspective.
I think her point (and mine) was that it isn't in the best interest of unions to be completely unreasonable, so they're not. That's a good thing. If something is good for both sides, then then it's in their best interest to support it, or to suggest changes themselves that make things run and work better. You're right though--they are ultimately there to represent the members, not management. That's why it's a negotiations process. Both sides have a place at the table, representing their side of the picture.

Old 10-23-2010, 08:44 AM

32,816 posts, read 19,492,759 times
Quote:
OK I will start with this one: Southwest Airlines. A UNION airline, pays employees well, has decent benefits yet it tops in customer service, has decent fares and it is a profitable airline.
that same statement could have been said for Eastern, PanAm, etc

unions were a good thing long ago...but then they became greedy, and corupt

you think the corporations are bad..the unions are worse

Old 10-23-2010, 09:01 AM

10,029 posts, read 8,349,276 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aspiesmom View Post
I agree, push back , or it would be better to be fired. If a corporation is going to cut bennies to almost resemble WallyWorld , may as well be fired and work at WallyWorld and draw Medicaid and Foodstamps. And they say it is Democrats that create entitlements

There you have it:

Why work when you can draw Medicaid and Foodstamps?

The mentality of an entitled welfare state....Liberalism 101
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies