Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-23-2010, 01:19 PM

888 posts, read 1,186,839 times

Advertisements

Most of those "fat cat Union bosses" were my RR co-workers.
They are no more living "high on the hog", than I am now?
Conservatives have been watching too many Hollywood movies, and think that all Union officials live and act Michael Corleone, in the Godfather???

Steve
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-23-2010, 02:06 PM

24,621 posts, read 19,165,825 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KevK View Post
The average worker there probably makes about $52,000 a year. That is not exactly "big money" if you have a family.
Depends on where you live. In Ohio that would be well above the MEDIAN income and enough to live in a McMansion and have 5 cars parked in the driveway and a 440 meter flat screen TV mounted on the wall.

Old 10-23-2010, 05:15 PM

16,259 posts, read 24,763,471 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by amcjap View Post
Why is that not a decent salary for a union worker when millions of office workers with degrees don't make that?
I know lots of office workers and the ones with college degrees make that and more for the most part. I know some para legals that pull in $60,000 and up.

Old 10-23-2010, 05:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by whatyousay View Post
Prime example of winning the fight but losing the war. They'll all be boohooing when the company moves or closes its doors and reopens as non-union. Why should union members be exempt from pay cuts, hour cuts, benefit cuts, and job cuts that the rest of the country is having to deal with?
Because the rest of the country should not be accepting them either.

Old 10-23-2010, 05:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mircea View Post
Depends on where you live. In Ohio that would be well above the MEDIAN income and enough to live in a McMansion and have 5 cars parked in the driveway and a 440 meter flat screen TV mounted on the wall.
They live in Wichita. Not a high cost of living place but that is not going to make you rich there either. After you pay the mortgage, the car, the utilities and the kid's expenses, not a lot left over to play around with or buy a big screen TV with. I make more than that in Georgia and I do not have a big screen TV either.

Old 10-23-2010, 05:22 PM

9,949 posts, read 8,852,274 times
What was that employer thinking actually asking that employees pay something towards their family healthcare? How insane is that idea, don't they realize that they employ union workers who deserve everything for free?

Old 10-23-2010, 05:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Backspace View Post
What was that employer thinking actually asking that employees pay something towards their family healthcare? How insane is that idea, don't they realize that they employ union workers who deserve everything for free?
According to the article, they already pay the first $3000 in medical before the boss picks up a dime of it. That is really quite enough.

Old 10-23-2010, 06:02 PM

9,437 posts, read 7,369,351 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aspiesmom View Post
I agree, push back , or it would be better to be fired. If a corporation is going to cut bennies to almost resemble WallyWorld , may as well be fired and work at WallyWorld and draw Medicaid and Foodstamps. And they say it is Democrats that create entitlements
Yes, clearly a democrat would rather leech off the public dole than work for a living. Why work when you can get medicaid and foodstamps, right? What kind of a fool would work when you can get all that for free? The union would rather see the company fold and everyone out of work, except the union bosses who aren't working for the company, than see entitlements cut.

Old 10-23-2010, 06:25 PM

69,368 posts, read 64,108,083 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KevK View Post
No, I don't know what it cost them to make it really. I just used that as an example. I do recall hearing something similar with Nike shoes- they pay like $5 for them and sell them for $200 here. I am sure it is pretty much the same across the board.
You act as if they wouldnt rather make them here for better quality control and to save on shipping costs and production/transporation time...

Old 10-23-2010, 06:33 PM

1,733 posts, read 1,822,399 times
Interestingly, a lot of the nations beating the USA in manufacturing and exports, Germany, Finland etc, are far more unionized...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies