Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-24-2010, 09:49 AM

6,041 posts, read 11,474,324 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MsMcQ LV View Post
Okay, you said in a previous post that you were 13 in 2004. That makes you what, 19 now? Are you saying young folks your age don't have Halloween parties where you are? My husband and I went to several in the first years of our marriage. The first Halloween after we were married, I was six months pregnant, dressed as a pumpkin and he slicked back his hair, added a set of wax teeth and a few drops of fake blood and we attended a friend's party. Another of the guests didn't seem to be wearing a costume - until we realize that the "beautiful girl" sitting with us was actually a guy! My now 36 year old youngest son has an invitation to a Halloween Party next week. The only reason he's not planning to attend is that he's saving for the following week-end to celebrate his 37th birthday.
Yes, people my age have Halloween parties. But I have no interest in attending them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-24-2010, 10:06 AM

3,849 posts, read 3,753,645 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by city_data91 View Post
Yes, people my age have Halloween parties. But I have no interest in attending them.
To me, that just seems to be a sad thing. It seems that you have lost whatever sense of fun you ever had.

Old 10-24-2010, 10:13 AM

10,229 posts, read 16,305,026 times
Halloween's my second favorite holiday after 4th of July. We make an impressive graveyard spread on our yard (eerie, not cutsey).

The OP is certainly not the first and only one to dislike Halloween ~ I've known a few ~ but that's fine as long as they don't try to ruin it for everyone else.

Old 10-24-2010, 11:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MsMcQ LV View Post
To me, that just seems to be a sad thing. It seems that you have lost whatever sense of fun you ever had.
Halloween parties are just an excuse for people to get drunk. I'm not missing out on anything.

Old 10-24-2010, 11:21 AM

24,868 posts, read 24,396,474 times
Quote:
Halloween parties are just an excuse for people to get drunk. I'm not missing out on anything.
Had one every year at my Grandparents house. Apple cider, haunted house, eyeballs simulated from olives, brains from hamburger, etc.

No alcohol involved.

Old 10-24-2010, 11:27 AM

10,229 posts, read 16,305,026 times
Quote:

Some years we go out to a Halloween Bash nightclub as long as they're not on Halloween night (since I want to be home enjoying our own show). We'll do it this year. We pick the venues because of the bands playing, and we'll enjoy the music and the festive atmosphere. We may have a drink or two but getting drunk for any occasion is never fun for us.

Old 10-24-2010, 11:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Memphis1979 View Post
Had one every year at my Grandparents house. Apple cider, haunted house, eyeballs simulated from olives, brains from hamburger, etc.

No alcohol involved.
That party took place at your grandparent's house.

I'm in college. Nuff said.

Old 10-24-2010, 12:45 PM

15,586 posts, read 27,626,711 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by simmon$ View Post
Let me guess, you are religious and your book for fairytales says that it's a satanic holiday, right?
Let me guess, you are a person that regularly posts ignorant responses,got an infraction,and then made a new account to continue your atheist obsession.

Old 10-24-2010, 01:10 PM

7,006 posts, read 6,996,400 times
I like Halloween because I love to see the creative costumes and home decor that people come up with. All the scary movies on TV are fun to watch, too.

We don't get many trick or treaters on our street so I rarely have to deal with that end of Halloween.

Quote:
That's how I feel about New Year's Eve, my least favorite "holiday" on the calendar. Auld Lang Syne has to be the most depressing celebration song ever invented.

Old 10-24-2010, 02:12 PM

88,594 posts, read 84,838,467 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by harborlady View Post
hahahhaa! I remember little old ladies being the biggest fans of salems lot-- and don't you know those little old men had no complaint about her clinging onto his big strong arm for comfort.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wfe-OcfbJ5U
and what was the name of that soap opera about Barnabas the vampire? Here it is- dark shadows!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QUi3t_80fTo

EEEEEvile grannys watching that 40 odd years ago. Before them their own parents were fans of...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zhC7fK9ui2g

Now their great grandkids blame who and what for the fall of rome? Grandma?
In 1999 I took two months family leave to care for my grandmother while my mother had surgery. She would fall asleep around 11 a.m. every day, and I discovered that from 11 to 12 they showed two episodes of Dark Shadows on the Sci-Fi Channel! I used to come home from school to watch it every day when it was on originally. Watching it again, I realized what a good story it was--Barnabas was a reluctant vampire who hated his fate. I didn't realize that as a kid. The props were pretty hokey, though, especially the rubber bat on the string that you could see, lol. Anyway, when I went back to work, I bought some of the tapes so I could watch some more of it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies