Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-26-2012, 01:48 PM

1,635 posts, read 1,594,471 times

Advertisements

I'm ashamed. Honestly though,not surprised. Many of the people do not pay much attention to politics. If they ever do,it's on some tax referndum,or some social issue,gay rights,guns,abortion.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-26-2012, 02:16 PM

38,644 posts, read 26,393,631 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rah View Post
You mean like those republicans who were in power for 9 of the past 11 years, and presided over failure after fiasco after lie, after failure? Under whose watch two very expensive wars were started (and are still not finished, creating a new record-length conflict for the US in Afghanistan...), not to mention a recession of the likes not seen since the great depression?

Yeah how STUPID of us to put any blame for these problems on THEM.
Most of what led to the 2008 financial collapse and the recession which followed were put in place before Bush took office.

Bush didn't sign CFMA or GLBA, NAFTA or the 2000 China Trade Act.

He didn't repeal Glass-Steigall or mandate the GSEs buy CRA home loans.

He didn't take the advice of Robert Rubin and Larry Summers to leave credit default swaps free of regulation.

He did send Treasury Secretary Snow to Capital Hill in 2003 to try to convince Democrats that a new regulator was needed for ineffective OFFEO.

On Monday President Clinton announced an "all-out" campaign to lobby Congress to pass permanent most-favored-nation status for China. The lobbying will be rough, with a fully mobilized American business community working as the iron fist inside the administration's velvet glove. The same day Clinton kicked off his new campaign, U.S. Chamber of Commerce President Thomas Donohue warned, on cue, that members of Congress who oppose permanent trade status for China "will find themselves in an unhappy situation with the business community."

Clinton's China Two-Step - Carnegie Endowment for International Peace

“On derivatives, yeah I think they were wrong and I think I was wrong to take [their advice] because the argument on derivatives was that these things are expensive and sophisticated and only a handful of investors will buy them and they don’t need any extra protection, and any extra transparency. The money they’re putting up guarantees them transparency,” Clinton told me.

Clinton: I Was Wrong to Listen to Wrong Advice Against Regulating Derivatives* - Political Punch

Clinton vowed to veto the Senate version of the bill unless it was re-written to include "requirements that banks make loans to minorities, farmers, and others who have had little access to credit." The new version passed 90-8 in the Senate, passed the House, and Clinton signed it into law. Clinton's required reworking of the bill should be studied closely to see what role, if any, it played in illegal, often racist, subprime loans at higher rates than Caucasian borrowers were offered.

ICKY PEOPLE: Phil Gramm, Bill Clinton Key Culprits in Subprime Meltdown

YouTube - President Bill Clinton - Remarks on the Signing of NAFTA

YouTube - WMD AND THE "LIARS" WHO SAID SADDAM HAD THEM

Old 05-26-2012, 02:57 PM

47,525 posts, read 69,728,990 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed from California View Post
If Californians still think this way (the op was a couple years ago) it shows you just how stupid my fellow Californians are. Of course, they elected Brown. Again. so what do you expect?
And look at the state of Michigan -- it was actually in worse shape and because it relied too much on one industry that was seriously affected by Clinton's beloved NAFTA.

Michigan had real problems, high unemployment rates, deficits but it's come a long way -- a Republican governor -- while California with it's perfect weather, diverse economy, filthy rich Hollywood types continues to fall.

Old 05-26-2012, 03:00 PM

47,525 posts, read 69,728,990 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by momonkey View Post
Most of what led to the 2008 financial collapse and the recession which followed were put in place before Bush took office.
Sorry -- but the liberals will never admit the devastating effects of NAFTA because their other celebrity president who they all worship like he was some kind of god signed that into law.

Clinton knew full well what it would do for American jobs but he has the liberal voters so fooled they think he was some kind of hero for getting that deal done.

Old 05-26-2012, 03:00 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,531,102 times
When was the last time any of you people saw grapes from California in the supermarket ?
Maybe you locals in California see them but the rest of us ..CHILE.

That ain't Bush's doing, is it ?

Old 05-26-2012, 09:34 PM

17,468 posts, read 12,945,348 times
Funny how they ignore their immigration polices and welfare give aways.

Just like Obama they blame others and not their polices.

Old 05-26-2012, 09:38 PM

102,218 posts, read 107,977,655 times
Well, at least the majority of citizens of one state have their heads screwed on right.

Old 05-26-2012, 10:08 PM

7,150 posts, read 10,902,925 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3~Shepherds View Post
Funny how they ignore their immigration polices and welfare give aways.

Just like Obama they blame others and not their polices.
Who ignores what immigration policies?
Certainly you don't mean Californians ignore their state's immigration policies?
Because states don't have immigration policies.
Foreign immigration policy is the responsibility and purvue of the federal government exclusively. States are barred from enforcing foreign immigration.

Old 05-26-2012, 10:26 PM

17,468 posts, read 12,945,348 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nullgeo View Post
Who ignores what immigration policies?
Certainly you don't mean Californians ignore their state's immigration policies?
Because states don't have immigration policies.
Foreign immigration policy is the responsibility and purvue of the federal government exclusively. States are barred from enforcing foreign immigration.
Sorry I forgot to put ILLEGAL there my mistake.............

What I do mean is Californians keep voting in those that won't stop illegal immigration.

See you didn't mention the welfare problem..........

Old 05-26-2012, 10:32 PM

9,982 posts, read 13,766,994 times
I'd say the Californians are more right than wrong, but not completely right either. I agree. A lot of this predates Bush too. But he certainly did nothing to question any of it. Obama frankly had nothing to do with it.

The notion that a GOP team could have pulled us out of a recession without running up the deficit is complete horse ****.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies