Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Have you ever been bullied?
Yes 65 82.28%
No 14 17.72%
Voters: 79. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-19-2010, 02:11 AM

6,414 posts, read 10,498,414 times

Advertisements

I was talking with one of my clients today and in conversation she told me that they transfered their daughter to another school due to excessive bully attacks. I was surprised because her daughter is a very pretty girl, just shy. She is being attacked verbally, not physically and it is mostly from boys and is mostly of a sexual nature, but she is also called ugly from some of the girls who are obviously jealous of her good looks. My clients older daughter was also bullied, but for being overweight, her attacks became physical when she would be tripped on the bus and then laughed at. I was bullied from kindergarden up to my senior year. It began as physical and verbal and only stopped when I did not react to the abuse, but it did not stop the hurt. I was short, overweight, had red hair and freckles and got good grades and was raised in a dirt poor hispanic family, bottom line, a target. I never let anyone know that I was gay, that would have been a death sentence for me in the 1970's. I have never seen a poll her on CD about bullying and thought it was about time since it has been a bad year with so many teens committing suicide, that and I watched Mean Girls last night. So please answer this poll; were you bullied as a child?

Last edited by TheDragonslayer; 10-19-2010 at 02:20 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-19-2010, 02:26 AM

1,372 posts, read 1,550,062 times
I too grew up in poverty. I lived in a lot of bad neighborhoods and went to some tough schools. Sure, I was bullied, but I got tired of it and started taking martial arts courses and lifting weights in the 7th grade. I soon found out something wonderful: most bullies are cowards! That's right. Don't ever cower from them, just pop 'em straight in the nose a couple of times and 90 percent of them will stop. Even if you lose the fight they won't mess with you again because you've already proven that you won't take it lying down. They want easy targets.

Old 10-19-2010, 02:27 AM

14,539 posts, read 21,273,278 times
I was always the quiet kid who cried easy. My choice of friends made me a target as well as my best friend was handicapped. It was mostly verbal but one particular kid (who I think did it in part for attention) liked to take my stuff and make me chase him to get it back.

Junior high it was the girls, who were meaner. My friend was also teased because she was a polio victum. I normally resorted to crying to let off the feelings but once we were having a cooking demo and they handed out little samples on toothpicks. I was being poked by them from behind and at the side. I just plain lost it and hit the girl next to me. Unfortuantely she hadn't done anything.

I got suspended for hitting her, but they talked to me about everyone who had toothpicks. All of them got suspended too, but for twice as long. Somehow after that nobody bothered me. I have a temper if you bug me enough to bring it out. I guess that did it and they decided to better just leave me be once I'd vented.

At least the school did pay attention to the situation when it came to a fight. Either they didn't care or didn't notice before that.

Old 10-19-2010, 02:34 AM

1,372 posts, read 1,550,062 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nightbird47 View Post
I was always the quiet kid who cried easy. My choice of friends made me a target as well as my best friend was handicapped. It was mostly verbal but one particular kid (who I think did it in part for attention) liked to take my stuff and make me chase him to get it back.

Junior high it was the girls, who were meaner. My friend was also teased because she was a polio victum. I normally resorted to crying to let off the feelings but once we were having a cooking demo and they handed out little samples on toothpicks. I was being poked by them from behind and at the side. I just plain lost it and hit the girl next to me. Unfortuantely she hadn't done anything.

I got suspended for hitting her, but they talked to me about everyone who had toothpicks. All of them got suspended too, but for twice as long. Somehow after that nobody bothered me. I have a temper if you bug me enough to bring it out. I guess that did it and they decided to better just leave me be once I'd vented.

At least the school did pay attention to the situation when it came to a fight. Either they didn't care or didn't notice before that.

That's the ticket! Unfortunately bullies only understand one thing: physical violence. Show them that you're not afraid and they'll change their tune real quick.

Old 10-19-2010, 02:38 AM

6,414 posts, read 10,498,414 times
I would stand like a block of stone, I refused to react to punches, hits or kicks. I would stand there and stare right back at them, they eventually got tired of not getting a reaction out of me. But in the fourth grade I did attack a bully on the play ground, I had had enough of his playground raids on us smaller kids that had gone on for a few years. I tried telling my parents about it, but my step dad called me a sissy and a chicken and that ticked me off big time. The next day when I got off the bus I went directly up to Thomas and started hitting him till a teacher pulled me off of him. All the other kids spoke up for me and Thomas got the paddle from the principal and I got reprimanded for losing my temper. In High School I learned to run real fast and would run home from school nearly every day and that led to long distance running in Jr. College, but it was not the same without someone chasing you with the intent to harm you.

Old 10-19-2010, 02:49 AM

15,395 posts, read 22,538,013 times
YES!!!!!!.....I too had freckles......was short....very skinny....slightly effeminate yet very athletic......geeky/nerdy.......very poor family..... BUT I DID come out as being gay in the 1970's.....and survived...I can defend myself well(physically and verbally)...... I was both physically and verbally attacked and it continues to this day albeit much diminished. And now it continues in the cyberworld as well......though I can easily hold my ground against intellectually challenged and bully type posters.

When I rode the school bus I had jerk, jock types(five of them) hit me in the head by throwing a basketball at me....the ball would richochet and hit many other students....nobody did a thing....finally it got so bad I was purposely late for school every day of my entire senior year so that I could ride another bus to school....it was five guys so when I fought back I did not stand a chance against so many a**holes/cowards.

In eighth grade( I was 12/13) I had a teacher bully me all year long by calling me names because I was small in stature. What a pathetic coward he was as I matured and realized he had apparent mental issues and should have been stripped of his teaching license. When I told him off and called him names back I got suspended for a week and got 25 demerits yet....NOTHING was ever done to this "adult" teacher who called me mousey because I was so small....I'd like to punch his face in now! Thanx for letting me rant and get that out of my system!

So I assume you too are saying.....IT'S NOT ACCEPTABLE and this B.S. has got to stop. I blame the parents of the "hooligans" for encouraging bullying and not teaching their children right from wrong; as well as society in general. I also blame the government and some religious teachings IF gay bullying is in question...... for attacking gay people with either laws and/or policies as well as theological dogmas.

Last edited by PITTSTON2SARASOTA; 10-19-2010 at 03:17 AM..

Old 10-19-2010, 05:10 AM

14,076 posts, read 20,541,611 times
Being bullied is almost the universal experience and guess what? It didn't kill us!

I have little sympathy for those who run whining to the government or law enforcement for "help" with the bullying "crisis." Their little darlings are being teased! Somebody do something!

Instead of enlisting the police or Congress into what is just a part of growing up, how about this, Mom and/or Dad? Let your darlings know this is just part of life and it'll stop when they grow enough backbone to make it stop. That's a life lesson which will prove far more valuable in the long run than learning to shrink under pressure.

Old 10-19-2010, 05:23 AM

27,232 posts, read 46,681,263 times
I've even been "bullied" as an adult. Of course, I respond to such bullying, and they don't repeat the offense.

I've even gotten fired for decking a manager and knocking him to the ground because he was bullying me.

Old 10-19-2010, 11:04 AM

16,259 posts, read 24,777,470 times
I was never bullied by anybody in school because I was big for my age and because I had 2 brothers in the school with me and everybody knew that if they touched one of us, they might end up badly beat or cut with a blade. So we were left alone and we did not bother other students either.
Bullies only mess with people they think are weak and will put up with them. The best way to deal with them is to either have several people gang up and kick the living hell outta them or to use a weapon of your choice to rid yourself of the problem. Just catch them outside of school somewhere and put a blade in the guts and they won't bother you again.
Now days you can also call the police and file an assault charge and then civilly sue the parents of the bully and the school if they refuse to deal with the bully.

Old 10-19-2010, 11:10 AM

16,259 posts, read 24,777,470 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stillkit View Post
Being bullied is almost the universal experience and guess what? It didn't kill us!

I have little sympathy for those who run whining to the government or law enforcement for "help" with the bullying "crisis." Their little darlings are being teased! Somebody do something!

Instead of enlisting the police or Congress into what is just a part of growing up, how about this, Mom and/or Dad? Let your darlings know this is just part of life and it'll stop when they grow enough backbone to make it stop. That's a life lesson which will prove far more valuable in the long run than learning to shrink under pressure.
Assault is against the law and you have every right to call the police and prosecute as well as sue in civil court for it. Part of being in school is learning that life has consequences for behaviours. If you are an adult and do that at work, you will be fired and probably jailed.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies