Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-03-2010, 01:33 PM

14,539 posts, read 21,263,135 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ergohead View Post
Trains are public transportation. What makes you think the "program" won't extend to trains?
None of the measures have been. Lots of stops on amtrak are lonely little spots in the middle of nowhere where the station is closed when the train stops. How would you do it? They don't ask about food or dirnk either and you can bring your own for the whole trip. They do have secrutiy--a couple of times a drunk has been put off at the next stop to sober up and get on tomorrow. But a train is stationary on a track and I suppose can't offer the opportunities a plane has.

You don't have that centralized and mass control when boarding a train. And the intent is to not impede passangers boarding and de training. Without the horrible stress of the ordeal of getting on the plane, train passangers start out relaxed. Sure it takes more time, but its entertaining.

If I was one who had to fly, I'd be writing to the AIRLINES in protest. I'd tell them I would only fly when absolutely necessary and was making alternate plans for other options to make it possiblel never to fly. Let them know that when people have had enough it will hit ticket sales and maybe they won't baaa along with the tsa.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-03-2010, 02:04 PM

3,644 posts, read 6,306,186 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by amerifree View Post
I vote for 18 year old girls in bikinis staffing the TSA checkpoints.
...and cabana boys in flaming Speedos for all the women....and gay men.
Well, that works for me (the girls in bikinis) but I still would prefer not having my wife groped and I'm sure many people feel the same way about their children.
I don't see what they need to use their hands. Even with a rod or that metal detector wand if they run it up to your private parts I think they could still tell from the resistance if they were pushing against flesh or something harder like contraband or explosives. Clearly part of the intent is to embarass people into geting into the radiation machine. I know most of the TSA people are not looking forward to groping most of the American population. For every one hot girl they get to feel up they'd have to handle lots of ugly fat ones. Only pervs will want that job. So, will there be enough pervs to fill the TSA jobs?

Old 11-03-2010, 04:32 PM

20,955 posts, read 5,546,892 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ergohead View Post
I refuse to eat irradiated vagina.

Old 11-03-2010, 05:27 PM

2,218 posts, read 3,453,976 times
Thanks for the kind comments re my second post.

One question was asked above: why did they have to touch the hoochie coo? WEll, that is part of the new screening proceedure. they actually go right up in that region...no stopping short.

To me, one of the ironies of this whole mess is this: they give me the molestation security screening and then I am expected to be their eyes and ears while working my flight and helping protect the passengers from terrorists.

Another thing that just kills me: ramp agents, restaurant workers, etc, are not screened. They have a pass-through which allows them to by-pass the TSA in most airports. Gee, that's safe.

Old 11-03-2010, 05:40 PM

6,612 posts, read 12,842,677 times
I have to ask - is there a LOWER age limit for this procedure, because I'd be damned if I would stand there and watch one my minor children/grandchildren being subjected to this "pat down". If it's traumatic for an adult, imagine how it would feel for a child.

Old 11-03-2010, 09:17 PM

9,408 posts, read 11,935,344 times
Airport body scanners may cause cancer: Scientist - The Economic Times

Quote:
LONDON: At a time when airports around the globe are planning to install full body scanners to maximise security, the US Congress has been warned that the X-ray imaging could increase the risk of skin cancer in air passengers.

The body scanners emit radiation up to 20 times more powerful than previously thought and could be particularly risky for children, said Dr David Brenner, head of Columbia University's centre for radiological research.

Old 11-03-2010, 09:28 PM

1,230 posts, read 1,039,635 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Who?Me?! View Post
Remember back to the time after 9/11 when the Repubs said it was "patriotic" for Americans to lose their right to freedom and privacy....and pushed through the ill-named "Patriot Act" using the fear and cowardice of the American populace.

Remember the Repubs said that "if you haven't done anything wrong you don't have to worry".

You reap what you sow.
I hope the new congress will work on getting rid of the Patriot Act (lol). I am really p.o.'d at Obama for not doing it. We change the faces in Washington every 2 years lately, but somehow that pesky underlying agenda, which we can easily see if we take off the partisan glasses and look objectively, continues to whistle happily down it's path.

Seriously, talk about something that can be used against us law abiding citizens! This needs to be repealed yesterday.

Old 11-03-2010, 10:36 PM

6,497 posts, read 11,816,936 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Opyelie View Post
I have to ask - is there a LOWER age limit for this procedure, because I'd be damned if I would stand there and watch one my minor children/grandchildren being subjected to this "pat down". If it's traumatic for an adult, imagine how it would feel for a child.
I read the entire thread to see if this question was posted. I can't imagine anyone expecting their child (teen daughter especially) having to endure this. Wow, won't this open up a whole new field for child molesters.

Old 11-03-2010, 10:44 PM

44,259 posts, read 64,375,553 times
So I tried to do the 'opt out' the last time I went to the airport, and they gave me all sorts of sh*t about it. It's not like they happily take you over to the corner and do the feel up, er, I mean frisking. They ***** and moan and act like you are the biggest inconvenience in the world.

But I will be damned if I am getting into that scanner. It's a bunch of crap, it's untested (and therefore potentially unsafe) technology, and it's ridiculous.

Old 11-03-2010, 11:21 PM

9,408 posts, read 11,935,344 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stan4 View Post
So I tried to do the 'opt out' the last time I went to the airport, and they gave me all sorts of sh*t about it. It's not like they happily take you over to the corner and do the feel up, er, I mean frisking. They ***** and moan and act like you are the biggest inconvenience in the world.

But I will be damned if I am getting into that scanner. It's a bunch of crap, it's untested (and therefore potentially unsafe) technology, and it's ridiculous.
Agreed. As much as I don't like my privacy being invaded, I'd rather be felt up than have my cells mutated. They are purposefully making opting-out of the scanner a hassle. They want everybody to opt-in. I'm hoping everybody opts for the feel-up. It's a hassle for them, it's slow, they don't have the manpower. They just expect the sheep to happily submit rather than question the safety of their ridiculous device.

Here you go, another article on the scene they make if you opt out:

Opt Out of a Body Scan? Then Brace Yourself - Yahoo! Finance (http://finance.yahoo.com/news/Opt-Out-of-a-Body-Scan-Then-nytimes-3016411705.html?x=0 - broken link)

Quote:
HAVING been taught by nuns in grade school and later going through military boot camp, I have always disliked uniformed authorities shouting at me. So I was unhappy last week when some security screeners at O’Hare International Airport in Chicago started yelling.

“Opt out! We got an opt out!” one bellowed about me in a tone that people in my desert neighborhood in Tucson usually reserve for declaring, “Rattlesnake!”

Other screeners took up the “Opt out!” shout. I was marched from the metal detector lane to one of those nearby whole-body imagers, ordered to take everything out of my pockets, remove my belt and hold my possessions up high. Then I was required to stand still while I received a rough pat-down by a man whose résumé, I suspected, included experience at a state prison.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies