Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-05-2010, 03:38 PM

14,539 posts, read 21,268,827 times

Advertisements

[quote=JetJockey;16542521]
Quote:
Originally Posted by dubyanumberone View Post

You may want to research the WIC cards.... they aren't cards, they're 'checks' that are ONLY good for specific items. If you've ever been behind anyone with WIC checks, you would know that.... it seems 9 times out of 10 they get the wrong type of formula, or milk or food and a checker has to run back and find the correct stuff. To get WIC you also have to speak with a dietician and take nutrition classes.

As for SNAP, which is more commonly known as food stamps, there is a LOT of fraud, and I think that the cards should only be used on non-processed goods. No candy, no soda, no little debbie snack cakes. You can make a decent meal with a toaster oven (less than $100 at WalMart), hot plate and microwave.... I've done it before when I was broke.

Unfortunately, I think a large part of the fraud is people getting paid under the table but still claiming $0 income. I've experienced this more than once with people I know and yes, I've turned every single one of them in. Nothing was ever done. But how does one track getting paid in cash under the table?
I can agree about using food stamps for verifyable junk foods. But where do you draw the line? Is High C a junk food or a soda? Is the kraft or store brand mac and cheeze processed or not? I love homemade but its a lot cheaper to make it from the box (and I love the cheese flavor).

I would disagree about the toaster over etc, for some. I have rented rooms. One place while the kitchen was supposed to be okay it somehow was never cleaned up or they were "busy" in it or I got the evil eye from using the microwave. I used my crockpot in my room but she never went in. I'm sure she would have had a fit if she had. And for those who are without a place to plant themselves if you have to cook it its very difficult. Motels do not like you cooking dinner in them and not all have microwaves. There needs to be some dispensation for those without cooking facilities so they can buy hot cooked food.

As far as working under the table, the people I know eventually got discovered and something was done. It wasn't cut off, but made very low until paid off. Part of the problem especially with stuff like SSI is that showing income from a part time job gives them reason to deny on the next review. It doesn't take into consideration that you can't work full time and you may not have even kept working. So people are leary of reporting income. Its not encouring to try to make money on your own this way. Policy and practice tend to keep people from trying.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-05-2010, 03:41 PM

4,585 posts, read 12,368,508 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay F View Post
It was crazy at Wal-Mart on the 1st of the month. Everyone and I mean everyone was swiping their food stamps cards. I asked the cashieer if I was the only one who paid in cash. She said yes so far I was. She said that some people swipe as many as 4 or 5 cards and get up to $700 in food. What an outrage! why are they using multiple cards? I have worked all my life and have never been able to spend $700 in grocery shopping.

Now that the FED has passed QE2 food prices are expected to go through the roof. Food inflation will destroy us honest non-handout taking Americans who play by the rules. But the food stamp swipers have nothing to worry about...they don't care about the price of food, it's all free to them (paid for by the struggling middle class taxpayer). I bet you anything this country has become so corrupt that their food stamp allowences will be adjusted to inflation!!! This makes me so angry. The middle class will be starving with crushing food inflation while the so called "poor' have never had it as good as they do today.They can fill their shopping carts to the brim with as much good (or junk which they seem to gravitate towards) food as they can eat.
Your title said "Food Stamp Users Vs the Middle Class" until 5/08 I was middle class, I didn't over spend and get into debt, my only debt was my modest mortgage of $349 a month (will loose my home soon). On 5/08 I lost my job at 58 years old, since then I've done everything possible to find work including taking a phlebotomy course and getting certified...still no job. In April of this year I got my last unemployement check so I'm a 99er. I'm now 60 years old single woman and I'm willing to work at anything and do apply...but still no job (facing age discrimination). I'm now on food stamps of $200. per month - it's the only gov't "hand out" (someone elses words not mine) I get. I'm not elegible for medicaid or welfare so I've gained weight because I can no longer afford the medications I need to stay healthy.

For near 40 years I was a tax paying citizen like those of you who slam those getting food stamps now. MILLIONS more are out there just like me. It never ceases to amaze me how this country has become so full of selfish, heartless coldblooded people. Where has the compassion and the humanitarianism gone? Once we were a country of "helping those in need" we still give billions to other countries like Haiti yet we refuse to help the people who've lost their jobs through no fault of their own. To this day there are still 5-6 people for every 1 job in this country. This country is going through the worst depression since the 30's yet all I hear is "me and mine".

Old 11-05-2010, 04:01 PM

3,807 posts, read 4,277,616 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ReturningWest View Post
Your title said "Food Stamp Users Vs the Middle Class" until 5/08 I was middle class, I didn't over spend and get into debt, my only debt was my modest mortgage of $349 a month (will loose my home soon). On 5/08 I lost my job at 58 years old, since then I've done everything possible to find work including taking a phlebotomy course and getting certified...still no job. In April of this year I got my last unemployement check so I'm a 99er. I'm now 60 years old single woman and I'm willing to work at anything and do apply...but still no job (facing age discrimination). I'm now on food stamps of $200. per month - it's the only gov't "hand out" (someone elses words not mine) I get. I'm not elegible for medicaid or welfare so I've gained weight because I can no longer afford the medications I need to stay healthy.

For near 40 years I was a tax paying citizen like those of you who slam those getting food stamps now. MILLIONS more are out there just like me. It never ceases to amaze me how this country has become so full of selfish, heartless coldblooded people. Where has the compassion and the humanitarianism gone? Once we were a country of "helping those in need" we still give billions to other countries like Haiti yet we refuse to help the people who've lost their jobs through no fault of their own. To this day there are still 5-6 people for every 1 job in this country. This country is going through the worst depression since the 30's yet all I hear is "me and mine".
You are reading it all wrong and taking it too personally. No one is against helping those who NEED it. There are alot of unfortunate people, who through no fault of their own, need assistance. We all agree on helping them out.

However, if you read what I posted earlier, what about the 32 yr old female, who hasn't worked ONE day in her life, has 6 children, from 6 different fathers, and is pregnant with the 7th (and 7th father)? This woman has been abusing the welfare system since she first got into it, at age 13. The system ITSELF is broken. It provides absolutely no incentive for anyone to get off of it.

In so far as "me and mine." Its always been like that. No one seem to say any such thing as this, when the economy was good. Everyone was getting "theirs." Nothing has changed and nothing will.

This great recession? I've said it before and I'll say it again: I do not believe its so bad as everyone has been saying. I believe its been built up by the media, so as to allow some, not all, people to get out of paying their debts and no one will care about it. I can run up thousands of dollars in bills, blame it on the economy, and walk away from it. In 3 years, no one will care.

Old 11-05-2010, 06:27 PM

4,897 posts, read 8,321,155 times
[quote=nightbird47;16543801]
Quote:
Originally Posted by JetJockey View Post

I can agree about using food stamps for verifyable junk foods. But where do you draw the line? Is High C a junk food or a soda? Is the kraft or store brand mac and cheeze processed or not? I love homemade but its a lot cheaper to make it from the box (and I love the cheese flavor).
I agree that it can be hard to decide where to draw the line but I'm sure some reasonable guidelines based on nutritional content can be found. That said, there is a very good reason people with only $104 per month to spend decide to spend it on junk food. The hard truth is when you're on a tight budget and looking for the most calories per dollar spent (and anyone on food stamps does no matter what the "they're all eating steak and crab legs" people claim) processed foods are almost always the cheapest thing you can buy while healthy fruit and vegetables are the most expensive thing you can buy. That's why the poorer you are in America the more, in general, fat you are. Harsh but true.

If the anti-food stamps people really want Americans to eat more healthfully and for government money to stop being needlessly wasted then they should absolutely oppose farm subsidies. That's why high fructose corn syrup is so cheap as well as other highly processed foods. Rather then wasting money paying agro corps not to farm or to over produce junk the market doesn't even want eliminate the market distorting subsidies and let the free market work itself out. Virtually all of those subsidies are corporate welfare anyway. Hell, the land "not farmed" would in virtually all cases have to be left fallow to rest anyway (anyone with a farm background knows what I'm talking about) so literally all we're doing them is giving them tax payer money to do what they'd already do anyway. It's a racket.

Oh, and the farm subsidies also happen to amount to around 12-15 times as much money as food stamps. Just a bit of perspective.

Old 11-05-2010, 06:33 PM

4,897 posts, read 8,321,155 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil306 View Post
You are reading it all wrong and taking it too personally. No one is against helping those who NEED it. There are alot of unfortunate people, who through no fault of their own, need assistance. We all agree on helping them out.
I don't think ReturningWest was taking anything personally and instead he's pointing out that most, the vast majority no matter what "they all eat steak and crab legs" MomOnKey says, are regular people who are not getting lavish amounts of anything. There has been huge numbers of lies spewed in this thread and there has also been large numbers of people saying no one should ever get food stamps at all. Stop back peddling and own up to it and then maybe you'll understand why people like ReturningWest got angry with the remarks.

Old 11-05-2010, 11:30 PM

38,644 posts, read 26,393,631 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ozgal View Post
there is no link between being poor & eating poor, cheap food is there?

I mean, when you're earning minimum wage - yeah! you should be eating fish three times a week, along with your premium meat... don't forget having time to exercise when you've just pulled a 12 hour shift - get up! you lazy piece of crap

ALDI - fit & active®

Old 11-05-2010, 11:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oerdin View Post
I don't think ReturningWest was taking anything personally and instead he's pointing out that most, the vast majority no matter what "they all eat steak and crab legs" MomOnKey says, are regular people who are not getting lavish amounts of anything. There has been huge numbers of lies spewed in this thread and there has also been large numbers of people saying no one should ever get food stamps at all. Stop back peddling and own up to it and then maybe you'll understand why people like ReturningWest got angry with the remarks.
I don't backpeddle at all. Lies, etc? How about not one liberal, including yourself, has condemned, etc the fact I was at a 32 yr old ladies house, who has never worked and has been on public assistance her ENTIRE life, and has 6 children, is pregnant with the 7th, etc?

YOU, nor anyone else has even broached that idea. THAT is what upsets people. As long as "people" abuse, rip off, etc the system; its ok. No problem. Jane and John can bilk the system of MILLIONS of dollars and no one says a word.

If a corporation did/does the samething, you liberals scream, yell, *****, and moan.

You want it equal then be equal. Condemn corporate welfare, the same as personal welfare. But you wont...

Old 11-05-2010, 11:40 PM

12,498 posts, read 27,004,055 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdetroiter View Post
People will instinctively save money if they can...even food stamp users.
LOL what a joke if I've ever heard one.

My half sister is on food stamps & instead of buying food for her family she sells the stamps for pennies on the dollar just to buy booze & cigarettes.

Maybe everybody should get on food stamps & live off of the government huh?

Old 11-05-2010, 11:50 PM

Finally, for all of you whining and LYING liberals, who protect welfare recipents, by saying: Oh, well, low calorie foods aren't available. Cheap foods are at fast food places, etc." Another liberal lie. Go to McDonalds, Jack in the Box, or anyother fast food place. You will find a low fat, low calorie menu.

Chicken and fish, no matter what supermarket you buy it at, is cheaper then beef. Low calorie food is not that hard to find and/or purchase. Simple fact is: People want the taste of potato chips, beef, ice cream, and all of the other high fat/calorie foods.

And liberals lie and cry its ok. Just like spending their welfare card money on trips in Miami. Well, they need the escape, don't they? The people who fund these escapes can't afford that.

Old 11-05-2010, 11:53 PM

12,498 posts, read 27,004,055 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil306 View Post
Finally, for all of you whining and LYING liberals, who protect welfare recipents, by saying: Oh, well, low calorie foods aren't available. Cheap foods are at fast food places, etc." Another liberal lie. Go to McDonalds, Jack in the Box, or anyother fast food place. You will find a low fat, low calorie menu.

Chicken and fish, no matter what supermarket you buy it at, is cheaper then beef. Low calorie food is not that hard to find and/or purchase. Simple fact is: People want the taste of potato chips, beef, ice cream, and all of the other high fat/calorie foods.

And liberals lie and cry its ok. Just like spending their welfare card money on trips in Miami. Well, they need the escape, don't they? The people who fund these escapes can't afford that.
Dude, you so need to get out of that backwards state & move to Texas ASAP before its too late & you'll become "one of them".
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies