Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-14-2010, 07:29 PM

15,912 posts, read 20,201,643 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by rory00 View Post
don't think that your irateness and wish to berate china is not noticed.

yes, china is pouring money into r&d, as they now can. instead of being okay with it, it probably pisses you off more. hint: is your real fluster and issue is that other countries do well or are trying to or it's not okay unless it's to your exact specifications? lol.

if you don't care about china, then the conclusion is simply motivated by ill will.

unfortunately, the op's wording and topic is in bad taste considering the situation with the west at the moment. china 'beats' is inciting win/lose feelings and it's immature. i would also agree it's stupid to post a building as an example of something amazing. either they are a westerner or they are asian/westerner.

chinese don't usually think this way. they just do what they need to do.
Excuse me?
Quote:
irate = angry; enraged

I am neither.... I must be a real dummy to think that my postings here were private and people wouldn't notice them.... BTW, I like your wording, sounds like Maoist speak.....

Why should I be p*ssed off? My exact specifications? what is that supposed to mean? My comment on "beats" is a common comment here in America, it denotes sarcasm.....

Quote:
I am well aware of how Chinese are thought of in the world, egotistical, self centered and arrogant.

Quote:
i would also agree it's stupid to post a building as an example of something amazing. either they are a westerner or they are asian/westerner.
Agree with the above, a Chinese citizen would be scared to make a negative comment about building quality.

Last edited by plwhit; 11-14-2010 at 08:30 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-14-2010, 07:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rory00 View Post

yes, china is pouring money into r&d, as they now can. instead of being okay with it, it probably pisses you off more. hint: is your real fluster and issue is that other countries do well or are trying to or it's not okay unless it's to your exact specifications? lol.

if you don't care about china, then the conclusion is simply motivated by ill will.

unfortunately, the op's wording and topic is in bad taste considering the situation with the west at the moment. china 'beats' is inciting win/lose feelings and it's immature. i would also agree it's stupid to post a building as an example of something amazing. either they are a westerner or they are asian/westerner.

Excuse me?
Quote:
irate = angry; enraged

I am neither.... I must be a real dummy to think that my postings here were private and people wouldn't notice them.... BTW, I like your wording, sounds like Maoist speak.....

Why should I be p*ssed off? My exact specifications? what is that supposed to mean? My comment on "beats" is a common comment here in America, it denotes sarcasm.....

Quote:
I am well aware of how Chinese are thought of in the world, egotistical, self centered and arrogant. Don't get me wrong, China has come a long way in the past decade, I applaud the country but it still has a loooong way to go.

Quote:
i would also agree it's stupid to post a building as an example of something amazing. either they are a westerner or they are asian/westerner.
Agree with the above, a Chinese citizen would be scared to make a negative comment about building quality.

Old 11-14-2010, 07:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wellyouknow View Post
GDP of China was $8.77 trillion in 2009, how did it drop to 4 trillion?!
List of countries by GDP (nominal) - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

https://www.cia.gov/library/publicat...elds/2195.html

Good enough???

What you are thinking about is China's PPP (purchasing power parity) that is $9,046,990 million dollars.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of..._GDP_%28PPP%29

Old 11-14-2010, 07:36 PM

565 posts, read 485,974 times
Have you heard about the recent contract between France and China involving Airbus.
Practically a transfer of technology.

Old 11-14-2010, 07:41 PM

1,011 posts, read 1,016,926 times
No. Maybe it's because it's 'nominal' i.e. meaningless. It just uses the dollar to yuan exchange rate. It does not take into account cost of living which is significant, i.e. a dollar in China goes further than in the US. Especially since China OWNS a gazzillion of the said dollars via bond purchases.

the $8.77 trillion is a closer estimate; "purchasing power" adjusted:

https://www.cia.gov/library/publicat...k/geos/ch.html

Old 11-14-2010, 07:45 PM

5,252 posts, read 4,677,849 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JazzyTallGuy View Post
However the Chinese economy is predicated on the government moving people into the middle class. They've figured out the best way to quell any social unrest is to fatten everybody's wallet. The size of the Chinese middle class is over 300 million people that almost matches the ENTIRE population of the United States.
I have been reading some on the state of personal finances of the Chinese populace, the claims made by some in media have apparently been somewhat exaggerated. I'm sure that the average Chinese worker may be a bit further along than they were in the seventies or eighties but the trumped up numbers has been laid at the feet of those in the US/globalism cheering section in order to stave off the more overt criticism of China's ultra cheap labor market. This from China.org:

"A questionable report by the Asian Development Bank (ADB) released this August (2010) defined most Chinese citizens as middle class.

The Asian Development Bank report Key Indicators for Asia and the Pacific 2010 published August 26 defines the Asian middle class as those consuming between $2 and $20 per day. Using these figures, it estimates Asia's middle class was 1.9 billion strong in 2008, accounting for 56 percent of the population, up from 21 percent in 1990. Astonishingly, according to the report, the Chinese middle class numbered 800 million, and accounted for 60 percent of the country's population.

But $2 is barely enough to buy a chicken burger in China, not to mention basic services like water and electricity. Admittedly, Key Indicators 2010 defines sub-categories of lower-middle class ($2–$4), "middle-middle" class ($4–$10) and the upper-middle class ($10–$20). But it is nonetheless absurd to define the 300 million Chinese with consumption levels of $2 - $4 a day as middle class."

Old 11-14-2010, 07:46 PM

The average wage in China was $2,025 dollars a year (2009)

Does this mean the average American citizen is a millionaire?

Old 11-14-2010, 07:47 PM

13,621 posts, read 12,733,455 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by plwhit View Post
Ohhhh geee, "their economy is growing faster than ours"

My dad can beat your dad..

So what if it is?

GDP of America: $14,119,050 million dollars
GDP of China: $4,984,731 million dollars

They still have a ways to go.

What's funny is China is starting to experience similar outsourcing problems America has, some of their jobs are being siphoned off to Vietnam, Cambodia and other Asian countries......

there's always some poor soul in another country willing to work for less out of pure desperation big corp could always exploit haiti, lots of poor souls willing to work for slave wages out of pure desperation.. what a great world we live in.. big corp greed,>> how low can they go.???

Old 11-14-2010, 07:54 PM

1,011 posts, read 1,016,926 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by plwhit View Post
From what I understand this practice is common for any company who wants to do business in China.
Pretty much. You can't just go and start selling stuff like one can do in the US. You have to build factories on the Chinese soil, and hire Chinese workers, and transfer technologies, or your company will misteriously fail to pass some 'environmental' tests or get taxed in tariffs out of existence.* That, or bribes and kickbacks. Of course, there is no respect for IP or patents in China either. See, all they care about is the wellbeing of China, not some idealistic moral scruples, and damn the torpedoes. Wish the US adopted some of that attitude.

*the fact that despite of that the US and European companies/governments continue to pour billions into PRC, and themselves suffer trade deficits speaks VOLUMES about our own stupidity, and for the Chinese being clever in how they frame this 'trade exchange'

Old 11-14-2010, 07:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cruxan View Post
there's always some poor soul in another country willing to work for less out of pure desperation big corp could always exploit haiti, lots of poor souls willing to work for slave wages out of pure desperation.. what a great world we live in.. big corp greed,>> how low can they go.???
**Really on topic aren't we?

Exploit Haiti? That award goes to Haiti's elitists and politicians..... How much money (handouts) has Haiti received in the past decade?

Try a few billion dollars..

Foreign aid to Haiti - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies