Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: How does your religion or lack thereof affect your politics?
I'm religious and it has a great affect on my political views. 7 12.50%
I'm religious and it has a moderate affect on my political views. 5 8.93%
I'm religious and it has little or no affect on my political views. 7 12.50%
I'm not religious and it has a great affect on my political views. 8 14.29%
I'm not religious and it has a moderate affect on my political views. 4 7.14%
I'm not religious and it has little or no affect on my political views. 25 44.64%
Voters: 56. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-22-2010, 06:53 PM

8,806 posts, read 6,114,806 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmw335xi View Post
I voted for Obama, but I consider myself a Republican. I absolutely hate conservative religious fanatics. I agree with them when it comes to the economy, taxes and government though. It does have an effect on my decision. If the politician is too verbal about his/her religion, I may not vote for him based on that principle alone.
So, if the politician openly talks about his religion, that bothers you? What if he sets policy according to those views? Just curious b/c the way you have it worded sounds like if the politician just talks about being religious, that's where your problem lies, as opposed to if he bases policy on those views.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-22-2010, 06:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jghorton View Post
Religion is one thing; a faith-led personal relationship with God is another. The former is generall based on legalism or works in an effort to appease God. The latter is based on a new, changed, God-empowered life and seeks only to please God. The latter can no more be separated from one's life (political views and everything else included) than one's brain can be separated from their thoughts. Religion by itself, and $3.95 will buy one a cup of coffee at Starbucks. A 'born again', Spirit-powered life is .... priceless!

In a general forum like this, most folks are unlikely to understand the differences between 'religion' and 'relationship with God' ... which is certainly evidenced by many of the posts. But, that's okay and not intended to be judgmental. The important thing to understand is that there is a difference ... and just because one perceives them to be the same, does not mean that they fully and accurately understand what they perceive they are seeing!
I agree with you. There is a difference, thank you for pointing that out to those who may not have realized that. Just b/c someone says they're Christian doesn't mean they have a good relationship with God and truly desire to act according to what He would want for us. I also agree strongly with the part I bolded. That's how I feel about it. To me, it's not possible to separate my Bible-based beliefs from anything in my personal life, political views, etc. It's all intertwined.

Old 11-22-2010, 07:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
I just noticed your status, andrea. If that really happened, contact a mod.
Thanks. It really did happen and I already had it taken care of.

Old 11-22-2010, 09:15 PM

13,778 posts, read 9,667,797 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigJon3475 View Post
Italy, Russia and Germany. One part was native, as in Cherokee.

In Italy they left behind the Italian Mafia which directly forced them to leave because they wouldn't pay the mob. Other consequences of choices are included but I'm not inclined to say.

In Russia they left for pretty much the same reasons but it was the government forcing their way on them.

In Germany they left but no one has to say why because the holocaust is well documented.

The Cherokee were already here.

I love it here. I abhor the thought of the Italian Mob, Communist and Nazi's.

Your turn.
Everybody in Australia was sent there for stealing a loaf of bread during a famine. Us NDNs all admire the Cherokee for being the best woodcutters the white man ever had.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies