Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-24-2010, 02:49 PM

6,484 posts, read 6,619,669 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pamky View Post
Thats the dumbest thing I have ever read on CD. Women would get an illegal abortion or would go to a different country to get an abortion.

Or do you have data to support your claim...yeah didn't think so.
Abortions didn't increase after roe v wade?

Or did they only increase when it became easier to get one?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-24-2010, 02:59 PM

37,982 posts, read 22,167,958 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Theliberalvoice View Post
You know it is not about encouraging abortions at all. I don't encourage abortion. No one does. You think some people love going "HAHAH. I AM HAVING AN ABORTION!" But I do think that government should stay out of the business of the woman. There should be limitations. For example, I am against abortion after the first trimester.

With THAT being said, I still believe the Democratic party has done more than the Republican party can ever dream about in terms of being pro life.

Democrats wants sexual education so teenagers and youth can understand the consequences and how to prevent unwanted pregnancies and spreading of STD's. Republicans want "Abstinence only". Boy oh boy. Just look at Bristol Palin. That worked well for her, didn't it?

Democrats want more social service like health care and livable wages which improves quality of life. THAT is the true meaning of pro life. Not caring about the fetus until it is born. Therefore I have so much more respect for Democrats who are anti abortion. They talk the talk but can walk the walk as well.

The Republicans claim they care about the issue oh so much but what do they do about it? Democrats don't bring it up generally unless some Republican makes a comment here or there. But even then, I firmly believe the Democrats are doing a hell of a better job at reducing abortions and being pro life.

But to the OP, good on you. Not because you are giving up on Republicans per say but because you are thinking on your own. I do vote Democrat but I can admit when they do stupid things. I am against illegal immigration. I am against leeching off welfare. I am for death penalty.

Best to you.
The message to the children from the do gooders on the left, is all kids have sex, all the time, so enjoy it and have as much sex as you want, just use a condom, and you'll be practicing safe sex.

Old 11-24-2010, 03:01 PM

2,735 posts, read 2,464,867 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Calvinist View Post
Abortions didn't increase after roe v wade?

Or did they only increase when it became easier to get one?
Do you have the number of illegal abortions before that?

I found this: Before and After Roe

Estimates of the annual number of illegal abortions in the 1950s and 60s range from 200,000 to 1.2 million, even though abortion procedures were unsafe and often life-threatening, in addition to being illegal

So I doubt your claim about the 95% drop as US history has shown that even with anti-abortions laws the number of abortions would be high. See Link.

Old 11-24-2010, 03:03 PM

3,644 posts, read 6,307,757 times
Quote:
You know it is not about encouraging abortions at all. I don't encourage abortion. No one does. You think some people love going "HAHAH. I AM HAVING AN ABORTION!" But I do think that government should stay out of the business of the woman. There should be limitations. For example, I am against abortion after the first trimester.
Hi TLV,

Well, there was that woman who was Tweeting her abortion. I think we all agreed that was something not to be encouraged in society.
Quote:
With THAT being said, I still believe the Democratic party has done more than the Republican party can ever dream about in terms of being pro life.
Well, a lot of what you consider pro-life (meaning support for a person after birth) goes against the Republican belief in self-reliance. Republicans honestly believe that a person is better off if he is able to provide for himself rather than rely on another (espicially relying on the government). What seems like cruel indifference actually results in the individual building self-confidence and learning self-reliance. I believe there should be some programs to help people who stumble and need to get their feet back under them again but any assistance should be of limited duration and should not discourage the recipiant from working to get off depencance. Instead current social programs punish anyone tryong to ease off of them and encourage generational dependance.
Quote:
Democrats wants sexual education so teenagers and youth can understand the consequences and how to prevent unwanted pregnancies and spreading of STD's. Republicans want "Abstinence only". Boy oh boy. Just look at Bristol Palin. That worked well for her, didn't it?
I think abstinence should be stressed first, along with graphic examples of the consequences of sex before one is ready for it. Teaching of birthcontrol practices sould be included but it should be stressed that by doing so those teaching it are not encouraging it. I mean we can put "Professional Driver. Closed Course" on every freakin' car commercial but we can't manage to tell teens and pre-teens that just because they know HOW to do it that they should still try and wait?
Quote:
Democrats want more social service like health care and livable wages which improves quality of life. THAT is the true meaning of pro life. Not caring about the fetus until it is born. Therefore I have so much more respect for Democrats who are anti abortion. They talk the talk but can walk the walk as well.
That argument might be made that Democrats appear more caring but if you look at their track record it is abysmal. The "Great Society" of the 1960's is an abject failure. Welfare and other programs to subsidize the poor have only produced more poor -- as subsidies always do. From this, and their other failures, one must either conclude that !) Democrats are caring but incompetant or 2) that they only want to appear caring while creating a dependancy class that will always continue to vote for them. DEMOCRATS may fall into both categories but DEMOCRAT POLITICIANS seem to fall mostly into the second category.
Quote:
The Republicans claim they care about the issue oh so much but what do they do about it? Democrats don't bring it up generally unless some Republican makes a comment here or there. But even then, I firmly believe the Democrats are doing a hell of a better job at reducing abortions and being pro life.
It's "settled law"(even though no actual law was passed) so we are told. So, they can't do anything about it. I would prefer to see Roe Vs Wade overturned and let each state decide its own policy, you know, like Federalsim is supposed to work.

Quote:
But to the OP, good on you. Not because you are giving up on Republicans per say but because you are thinking on your own. I do vote Democrat but I can admit when they do stupid things. I am against illegal immigration. I am against leeching off welfare. I am for death penalty.

Best to you.
I agree. It is always best to look at the individual rather than the party. I agree with you on illegal aliens, welfare leeches, and death penalty. Sadly both parties are bowing to illegal aliens- one for their votes and the other for cheap labor.

Quote:
Show me statistics that say 95 percent of abortions would not happen if it became illegal.

Because I think meanwhile it may be harder to get abortions, women will still get them. More than just 5 percent.
I don't know how many fewer would get them if they were made illegal again. One problem is that it has already been legal for more than a generation now so it is considered the norm. The rate of abortion would certainly be higher than it would be had it never been made legal. Since it doesn't look like the Supreme Court ruling is going to be overturned anytime soon there have been no surveys done to see how many women would risk an illegal abortion if they had to. Probably a good estimate on the increase/decrease of an activity based on its legality could be estimated by looking at pot use when/if it becomes legal. I have a friend who said she would try pot if it became legal. Clearly legality does affect the rate an activity will occur (or else there would be no reason to have laws except for revenue generation) but the extent is unknown. If I had to guess I would but it would be around 50% less initially and would eventually go into the high 90's after a generation. Most of the dropoff would probably come from reduced unwanted pregnancies and not more women just acepting live births of unwanted children. I do know one thing thoug, if Roe Vs Wade is ever overturned, I'm investing in condom stocks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by silas777 View Post
I am thinking they would be a little more cautious about getting pregnant if they knew they had to fly to a different country to kill the baby........you know with all the trouble they would have standing in line at the tsa.
LOL @ TSA. Heck, just implementing TSA-like procedures at Planned Parenthood would probably reduce abortions.

Old 11-24-2010, 03:04 PM

2,735 posts, read 2,464,867 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wapasha View Post
The message to the children from the do gooders on the left, is all kids have sex, all the time, so enjoy it and have as much sex as you want, just use a condom, and you'll be practicing safe sex.
I don't get your post. Children of Republicans don't get pregnant? What did their parents tell them?

Old 11-24-2010, 03:05 PM

23,654 posts, read 17,520,612 times
I know a group who would decline to get abortions---the ones who say, "I got an abortion because it was legal." And that is the only reason they give for getting one.

If it was not legal they would have the baby and put it up for adoption like it was done before abortion was legalized.

Old 11-24-2010, 03:08 PM

3 posts, read 3,408 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aspiesmom View Post
I hear ya TruthBeautyGoodness, Republican Party has killed & injured more people (including unborn, infants, and children) with pollution, wars, anti-healthcare agenda, and deregulations of all aspects of all businesses. GOP is anti-people, which is why I gave up on them too.

This Republican Party you speak of
sounds more like a hellish gang of mythological demons
than flesh and bone and soul.
Do people like this really exist?

Old 11-25-2010, 12:33 AM

15,395 posts, read 22,533,364 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TruthBeautyGoodness View Post
Republicans are more like the party of, we-will-use-abortion-as-a-wedge-issue-to-rally-the-base-but-won't-ever-actually-do-anything-about-it. And oh yeah, we'll also use hate and fear to rally up our hijacked "Christian" base.
I figured that out at 10 years old..

Old 11-25-2010, 08:13 AM

3,378 posts, read 3,708,788 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TruthBeautyGoodness View Post
If this
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9Y4Na8mIU9I
is the kind of crap that the majority of voters are watching and the majority of lawmakers are bowing down too, I will see it as my moral obligation to never vote for such a party. Republicans, you disgust me.
who has time to watch that whole clip? Why don't you get to the point instead of making assumptions?
The more serious question would be... Why would a catholic want to vote for the democratic party?

Old 11-25-2010, 08:15 AM

3,378 posts, read 3,708,788 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pamky View Post
I don't get your post. Children of Republicans don't get pregnant? What did their parents tell them?
Maybe their parents tell them to keep their pants on
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies