Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-17-2010, 01:45 PM

9,891 posts, read 10,828,106 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SourD View Post
Marriage is not a civil right, it is a priviledge. Gays CAN marry, move to a state where it is legal. Problem solved.
Or marry some one of the opposite sex like everyone else that is married did.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-17-2010, 01:50 PM

14,247 posts, read 17,929,235 times
Catholics would be better served worrying about priests abusing children and the church hierarchy systematically covering up this abuse and working to protect the abusers from justice than about what women choose to do with their bodies or the domestic arrangements gay people choose to adopt.

Old 12-17-2010, 03:57 PM

23,654 posts, read 17,520,612 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hothulamaui View Post
you are wearing blinders if you think this. women don't get abortions because it is "legal" they get one for all kind of reason just because you may not like their justifications for one they really owe no one an explanation of why they get one.

if it was not legal, yes a few would keep the baby, some would adopt but many others would seek out back alley abortions or self inflicted abortions like they did before it was legal. more women would be maimed and killed are you ok with that?
Well ask those how said they got an abortion because it was legal---I'm not making it up and I think it is sad. They saw no other side or someone saying adoption would be better. At least the girl who wrote about it did not. What you see is just one of many.

Old 12-17-2010, 04:05 PM

23,654 posts, read 17,520,612 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaggy001 View Post
Catholics would be better served worrying about priests abusing children and the church hierarchy systematically covering up this abuse and working to protect the abusers from justice than about what women choose to do with their bodies or the domestic arrangements gay people choose to adopt.
The church is NOW that they know pedophilia is not curable---they were taking the therapists word for it that these men could be cured. Also, most of these men are gay and molesting boys. Should the church accept gay men more now for this reason? Pedophiles come in all sexual preferences but priests are men so those pedophiles would be men.

Also, if the government says gays can be married and can adopt the church will get out of the adoption business (already have in a lot of places) and won't be marrying anyone either if government forces them to marry any person who comes to them or to allow anyone to adopt that comes to them for a baby. It will hamper the church's ability in many areas.

Good, bad? I don't know, I just know that will be the consequence of the changes. To the OP---try going to your Bishop to change the church's mind and good luck.

Old 12-18-2010, 11:10 PM

4,803 posts, read 10,177,989 times
Same-sex marriage would start us down a "slippery slope" towards legalized incest, bestial marriage, polygamy and all manner of other horrible consequences. This is calculated to instill fear in the mind of anyone hearing the argument. It is, of course, absolutely without any merit based on experience. If the argument were true, wouldn't that have already happened in countries where forms of legalized gay marriage already exist? Wouldn't they have 'slid' towards legalized incest and bestial marriage? The reality is that a form of gay marriage has been legal in Scandinavian countries for many years, and no such legalization has happened, nor has there been a clamor for it. It's a classic scare tactic - making the end scenario so scary and so horrible that the first step should never be taken. Such are the tactics of the fear and hatemongers.

Granting gays the right to marry is a "special" right. Since ninety percent of the population already have the right to marry the informed, consenting adult of their choice, and would even consider that right a fundamental, constitutionally protected right, since when does extending it to the rest constitute a "special" right to that remaining ten percent? As Justice Kennedy observed in his opinion overturning Colorado's infamous Amendment 2 (Roemer vs. Evans), many gay and lesbian Americans are, under current law, denied civil rights protections that others either don't need or assume that everyone else along with themselves, already have. The problem with all that special rights talk is that it proceeds from that very assumption, that because of all the civil rights laws in this country that everyone is already equal, so therefore any rights gay people are being granted must therefore be special. That is most assuredly not the case, especially regarding marriage and all the legal protections that go along with it.

Old 12-18-2010, 11:40 PM

30,357 posts, read 51,964,073 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Calvinist View Post
800k babies die per year. Is there a bigger social ill right now? I'm not suggesting that it's the only issue, but it's a big one.
And how many soldiers are killed in the Republican's wars every year? Don't you care about them, or do you only believe fetuses & cells have the right to live?

Old 12-18-2010, 11:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaggy001 View Post
Amen to that!

Another point of irony... how they whine about abortions, and then whine AGAIN when a gay couple tries to adopt these unwanted children. But I wonder, how many of them (the right-wingers) would line up to adopt a minority child with AIDS? I'm betting not many, as they'd rather get on a waiting list for a "healthy white baby." Bottom line, they don't care about their living fellow Americans (i.e. soldiers dying in wars, gays being oppressed, unwanted children) - they only care about those still in cell form.

Old 12-18-2010, 11:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by janelle144 View Post
The church is NOW that they know pedophilia is not curable---they were taking the therapists word for it that these men could be cured. Also, most of these men are gay and molesting boys. Should the church accept gay men more now for this reason? Pedophiles come in all sexual preferences but priests are men so those pedophiles would be men.
Proven scientific fact - yes, I know "science" is an evil word to most right-wingers - but it's a FACT that pedophiles don't generally have a sexual preference. They only have a preference for children, and male pedophiles are typically heterosexual in their adult relationships. Go do some research on the subject, and come back when you actually know what you're talking about.

Quote:
Also, if the government says gays can be married and can adopt the church will get out of the adoption business (already have in a lot of places) and won't be marrying anyone either if government forces them to marry any person who comes to them or to allow anyone to adopt that comes to them for a baby. It will hamper the church's ability in many areas.
Not true, just a common scare tactic the church has pounded into your (apparently very impressionable) mind. Churches/temples are non-profit, tax-exempt organizations, and therefore not susceptible to all government regulations. Just as it stands now, they do and WILL have the right to marry or not marry anyone they choose.

Interracial and inter-faith marriages are legal by US law, but my old Rabbi refused to perform marriages between a Jew and Gentile... he had that right, whether or not we agreed with it. And my current LESBIAN Rabbi has the right to perform gay marriage ceremonies, as she & the other Rabbis at our synagogue have been doing for years. It's been legal on & off during that time (I'm in San Francisco), but regardless of the law they've always been allowed to perform commitment ceremonies. We also have many many Catholic churches in the area, and only a few of them are considered gay-friendly. So you can stop being so paranoid now, considering even in SAN FRANCISCO we have churches that won't perform a gay wedding ceremony.

Old 12-19-2010, 12:00 AM

33,554 posts, read 37,155,629 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Calvinist
yah...you're right...the party of 3000 abortions per day is much better.
News flash for you...The abortion rate among Christians is just as high as the national average. Among Catholics, the abortion rate is even higher.

Old 12-19-2010, 12:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sanspeur View Post
News flash for you...The abortion rate among Christians is just as high as the national average. Among Catholics, the abortion rate is even higher.
I don't doubt that for a minute... after all, we know how effective "abstinence-only" education is, and what do those good Catholic girls do when they get knocked up? Hmmmmmmm.

Funny story - when I was a kid in Maryland, we had neighbors who were a good "Catholic military family," the dad being a high-ranked admiral (or general?). My sister was friends with their daughter, let's call her Jen, who was around 16 years younger than their other daughter. We just figured she was an "oops" baby they had late in life. Then some years later, we discovered Jen's sister was actually her mother! The year Jen was born, her parents (grandparents) went on an "extended overseas assignment" for - ummmmm, 9 months? - and came home with a new baby they passed off as their own. I guess that's the Catholic alternative to abortion, LOL.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies