Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-07-2010, 01:08 PM

6,034 posts, read 10,686,766 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calvinist View Post
why is it up to me to prove it w/out the Bible?
Because otherwise, your claims are specious.

Old 12-07-2010, 01:09 PM

17,468 posts, read 12,945,348 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Strel View Post
Pagan religions are not secular. Do you know what secular means?
Here because I guess you don't.........Learn something new every day
Secular Paganism
Secular Paganism is something that is growing rapidly these days, but nobody talks about it, and many people don't even know there is a name for their beliefs. This page will answer some of the questions you may have about Secular Paganism.

What is Secular Paganism? Secular Paganism is a simple philosophy and set of principles shared by a diverse and eclectic group of individuals around the world. Secular Paganism is a natural outgrowth of many peoples' personal ethics and core beliefs about life..

Is Secular Paganism a Religion? No, Secular Paganism is not a religion, it is an ethical view of the world, based on the belief that Nature is sacred and must be respected and treasured. Secular Pagans hold many of the same views about Nature that religious Pagans and many people of other religions do. Secular Pagans believe that we are a part of Nature, not her master. There are no particular religious views connected with Secular Paganism.

Quote:
And the Jews had nothing to do with the Roman Feast of Saturnalia, or any other European PRE-CHRISTIAN winter solstice celebrations.
I didn't say they did, I said Christians got their decorating with greenery from Jews, not pagans. Now who needs some history lessons.

They worshiped the Lord with Palm Branches. It was a part of greenery. You need to read what I post and the link and THEN comment.Guide to Shavuot: Customs and Traditions
Greenery
Decorating the synagogue and home with greenery and flowers is another Shavuot tradition. Midrashic lore describes how Mt. Sinai suddenly flowered in anticipation of the Torah’s arrival. Since Shavuot was also a harvest holiday the sheaths and boughs would be signs of a successful growing season.
Quote:
You would think...how about picking up a history book? Most Western European and American Christmas traditions are either PRE-CHRISTIAN Celtic or Germanic in origin.

"Christmas" didn't even get invented (yes, invented) until the 300's AD when the Bishop of Rome tried to commandeer the ongoing Pagan stuff. Not being able to get the ornery Romans and Romanized barbarians to give up their partying ways, he just decided to start calling it Christmas and Christianized it.

Just like Easter, or why do you think the date of Easter has to do with the phases of the Moon?
And you would think you would know that it depends on how the writer wants you to believe. I read plenty of history, thats why I believe Christians didn't follow pagans.

Have you ever thought Christians gave Christmas to Christians to give them a day to celebrate family and love, so that Christians could get away from the pagan orgies and drunken ways.

Kind of funny pagans think it was about them.

Old 12-07-2010, 01:11 PM

7,871 posts, read 10,135,035 times
Calvinist, does doubt even happen to you?

Do you ever even actually consider the possibility that you might have been told things that were untrue?

God's not going to hit you with a lightning bolt for asking questions.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies