Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-02-2010, 11:31 AM

1,159 posts, read 1,839,235 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by pollyrobin View Post

Get's the point across quite well But, did they get permission from Sagan's family to use the phrase? I don't think he ever declared himself an atheist.
Carl Sagan's views on religion were similar to Albert Einstein's. He did not consider himself an athiest, but considered God to be essentially the sum total of the physical laws which describe the universe.

"I do not know of any compelling evidence for anthropomorphic patriarchs controlling human destiny from some hidden celestial vantage point, but it would be madness to deny the existence of physical laws."

Carl Sagan rocked. Left this planet way too early.

Old 12-02-2010, 11:31 AM

13,285 posts, read 15,312,275 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Calvinist View Post
As for the other question about evolution....I think the point could be made that if evolution provided humans with a distinct advantage enabling them to thrive...why didn't the apes die off? Or at least their ancestor that we all supposedly evolved from?
LOLOLOLOLOL

Clearly, the fact that more than one species of life exists means that evolution is bunk...

LOLOLOL

Old 12-02-2010, 11:34 AM

20,892 posts, read 16,085,613 times
Quote:
who is changing the rules now?
You... invariably it is you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calvinist
You now deny the existence of time?
Sometimes you remind me of a goldfish swimming in a fish bowl. They have no memory. The little plastic castle is a surprise every time.

We have had this discussion.

Time, like the universe, is not a reified "thing." It does not exist in and of itself. It is a conceptual entity, defined by the relationship between actual things that actually exist.

Old 12-02-2010, 11:35 AM

14,917 posts, read 13,107,555 times
Quote:
Because it didn't take all the dirt to make Adam?

As for the other question about evolution....I think the point could be made that if evolution provided humans with a distinct advantage enabling them to thrive...why didn't the apes die off? Or at least their ancestor that we all supposedly evolved from?
Um, the common ancestor (a Great Ape) from which Humans and modern Apes evolved DID die off (the best data suggest around 9 or 10 million years ago). Also, your suggestion that because a more advanced species emerges would mean the lower species should die off of is absurd. If that were true we'd have very little diversity. Lower and higher forms of live can co-exist.

Old 12-02-2010, 11:37 AM

20,892 posts, read 16,085,613 times
Quote:
1. We are still apes.

2. Because there are several different ways for a species to make a living. The forest ape niche is still a perfectly respectable way of doing so. We evolved for a savannah ape niche. So we are different from them.

2. The ancestors did die off. You will note that the common ancestors of humans and other apes are no longer around.

Old 12-02-2010, 11:41 AM

21,026 posts, read 22,158,177 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hothulamaui View Post
why does he/she allow children and old people suffer from illness and hunger and abuse, or anyone for that matter?
why does he allow war and famine?
why give us free will, so we can murder and do evil?
why doesn't prayer work across the board?
why is everything some think as "evil" the devil's work?
why is your religion the correct one and not one of the many others?
That's why I put forth the question, "why does god work in mysterious way" because that's what believers use as an excuse for not answering questions like yours.
I've asked a couple of times and these all-knowing believers just ignore it because thay HAVE NO ANSWER.

Originally Posted by Who?Me?!
IF there is a god then why the mystery? What is it afraid of? Why does it hide?

Why does it "work in mysterious ways"?

Why doesn't it just show up, state what it wants clearly without the erroneous interpretation by humans ..and get on with it....

Last edited by Who?Me?!; 12-02-2010 at 11:54 AM..

Old 12-02-2010, 11:42 AM

16,956 posts, read 16,763,499 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mercury Cougar View Post
If you had even just an elementary school level knowledge about evolution, then you wouldn't have to ask that question.
Apes didn't die off....They were in my P.E. class .....

Old 12-02-2010, 11:43 AM

6,034 posts, read 10,686,766 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HistorianDude View Post
It works perfectly. All it requires is new singularities to be produced before heat death sets in. Look around our current instance of universe. Singularities are all over the place... measured in the billions.

We call them black holes.
Glib creationist answer to that is, "you can't prove they exist, because you can't SEE them". Hmmm...kind of like their gods.

Old 12-02-2010, 11:50 AM

7,871 posts, read 10,135,035 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by filihok View Post
LOLOLOLOLOL

Clearly, the fact that more than one species of life exists means that evolution is bunk...

LOLOLOL
They just fundamentally do not get it.

Old 12-02-2010, 11:51 AM

18,419 posts, read 19,031,744 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Who?Me?! View Post
That's why I put forth the question, "why does god work in mysteriuos way" because that's what believers use as an excuse for not answering questions like yours.
I've asked a couple of times and these all-knowing believers just ignore it because thay HAVE NO ANSWER.

Originally Posted by Who?Me?!
IF there is a god then why the mystery? What is it afraid of? Why does it hide?

Why does it "work in mysterious ways"?

Why doesn't it just show up, state what it wants clearly without the erroneous interpretation by humans ..and get on with it....
why do we have the "fear of god"

why isn't he/she compassionate?

why unlike humans hasn't god learned from his mistakes over these many years and stop the suffering? a human who lives as long would certainly learn by now and change their ways.

there should be more billboards with questions, we see enough churches, crosses on a daily basis. I am all for this billboard and more like it!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies