Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-03-2010, 10:56 AM

6,484 posts, read 6,617,921 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by HistorianDude View Post
Are you suggesting that God is no better at keeping a story straight than two random witnesses to a car accident?

Really?

Are you?

I'm suggesting that the different accounts were written to emphasize different things. Whether either had every single detail is irrelevant. It's not the point that the writer was trying to make. I know this may be hard to understand, but not every culture's literature is identical to what you've come to expect.

Sorry about that.

Old 12-03-2010, 11:00 AM

7,084 posts, read 14,864,701 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wapasha View Post
It's all about hate, these people hate Christians, Muslims, Jews, pretty much anyone who believes in a religion, but especially Christians.
Now, that is arrogance. Why is christianity any more different than any of the other religious delusions? They are all based on flawed logic. Atheists don't really hate the religious, we just think they have some truly strange ideas.

Old 12-03-2010, 11:07 AM

6,484 posts, read 6,617,921 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dusty Rhodes View Post
Now, that is arrogance. Why is christianity any more different than any of the other religious delusions? They are all based on flawed logic. Atheists don't really hate the religious, we just think they have some truly strange ideas.
Maybe because Christianity tends to get targeted by the neo-atheists?

I realize that Christianity is the biggest religion in the US...but think about it: when a Christian pastor was going to burn a koran, everyone and their sister was spouting off about how wrong it was. "It will turn 'moderate' muslims into violent ones!", they screamed.

Really?

Old 12-03-2010, 11:29 AM

20,892 posts, read 16,080,363 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TKramar View Post
I know, that's why it would have to be in person, one on one. The ACT has a science component, as does the ASVAB.
And since that's not going to happen your challenge is an absurd one.

Again... you have left your paper trail in this thread. The test has been taken and you have not performed well.

Old 12-03-2010, 11:32 AM

6,034 posts, read 10,684,778 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Calvinist View Post
Whether either had every single detail is irrelevant.
How inconvenient for you when that reasoning is applied to your bible.

Old 12-03-2010, 11:47 AM

Quote:
I'm suggesting that the different accounts were written to emphasize different things.
Then explain to us... what exactly are the "different things" emphasized by the one account of Judas' death vs. the other. Pay particular attention in your response to the reasons why those "different things" were in your opinion better emphasized by substantively misrepresenting the actual occurrence in both accounts.

Quote:
Whether either had every single detail is irrelevant. It's not the point that the writer was trying to make. I know this may be hard to understand, but not every culture's literature is identical to what you've come to expect.
It is not the slightest bit difficult to "understand." It is however almost impossible to take seriously. Were it a single occurrence it would almost be understandable. That such inconsistencies and contradictions run ubiquitously through the Bible speaks not to a difference in cultural literature at all. It speaks to the inability of God to remember what he said just a few pages prior.

I chose the example of Judas' death because it is so dramatic and the apologetic response so absurd. I could have chosen scores of other, more prosaic but at the same time even more directly contradictory examples. Just trying to do a concordance between the four Gospels on the Resurrection tale (for example) reveals so many direct contradictions that it requires the players to have been in several different places at the same time and to the completely opposite things.

So... I look forward to something more substantive than hand-waving about "cultural relativity." Please... explain God's rational for getting both stories so astoundingly wrong.

Old 12-03-2010, 11:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dusty Rhodes View Post
Actually.... there is a difference between religions that accounts for them receiving different attention from non-believers.

Christianity and its daughter religion Islam are the only two major "exclusive monotheisms." Unlike any other great world religion they not only demonize non-believers as "infidels," but also deny them the prospect of eternal salvation. Unbelievers are not merely neutral... they are actively deserving of eternal suffering in a lake of fire.

Compounding the problem of their foundational intolerance is that they are also both "imperial religions," each with a formal assignment from God to conquer or convert the rest of the world. So... they start with a formal theological intolerance and then actively seek to spread that intolerance everywhere they possibly can.

Is there a surprise that non-believers might push back?

Old 12-03-2010, 11:54 AM

33,544 posts, read 37,145,710 times
Quote:

I realize that Christianity is the biggest religion in the US...but think about it: when a Christian pastor was going to burn a koran, everyone and their sister was spouting off about how wrong it was. "It will turn 'moderate' muslims into violent ones!", they screamed.

Really?
Since when is putting up a billboard with an opinion that differs from yours, "targeting"?....Once again Christmas is a pagan celebration of the winter solstice that was hi-jacked by Christians...I don't see any pagans here playing victim, do you? Some of you Christians need to get over it...One freaking sign causes all this uproar....Look around you. I see a hell of a lot more Christian signs that I ignore, can't you ignore just one.....I guess not.

Old 12-03-2010, 11:54 AM

Quote:
When you are already a target, you tend to fight back.

Old 12-03-2010, 12:13 PM

27,232 posts, read 46,663,996 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HistorianDude View Post
And since that's not going to happen your challenge is an absurd one.
Why not? You could put your money where your mouth is and take a nice Florida vacation at the same time.

Unless you're scared. If you're scared, just say you're scared. Otherwise, you have offered no proof.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies