Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-03-2010, 03:27 PM

24,868 posts, read 24,408,005 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TKramar View Post
The hypocrisy is in crying that others are imposing their beliefs on you, and then responding by doing the exact same thing. If you were just minding your own business--like I do--then you have every right to be offended when someone gives you any sort of unsolicited opinion--on any topic.
Since when do states and municipalities put up atheists signs and decorations every year?

Old 12-03-2010, 03:29 PM

27,232 posts, read 46,684,019 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HistorianDude View Post

Induction based primarily on the evidence of your posts. .
Induction is specific to general, by the way.

Deduction is general to specific.

Old 12-03-2010, 03:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Memphis1979 View Post
Since when do states and municipalities put up atheists signs and decorations every year?
What do you think Black Friday is about? The only deity an atheist will accept. Money. Consumerism.

Old 12-03-2010, 03:36 PM

23,654 posts, read 17,527,685 times
Those who believe in a God have made a leap of faith and those who believe there is no God have also made a leap of faith. Only the agnostic has made no leap. They aren't sure either way.

Old 12-03-2010, 03:36 PM

Quote:
What do you think Black Friday is about? The only deity an atheist will accept. Money. Consumerism.
I'm not a Christian, but I hate black friday. The day after thanksgiving is about staying home and complaining that you ate to much, and then stuff more on top of it

Thats not an Atheist holiday, and I don't remember seeing a town putting up signs saying "There is no God" or "Consumerism is the reason for the season".

I have no problem with private decoration. There is a church down close to Navarre with a big sign says

"HELL IS REAL" flames and crap behind it. In the small print it says "The bible says so". Now, I could get pissy saying it would scare my son for a needless reason, but its free speech.

Most Atheists I know don't complain about private decorations and religious stuff, they complain about the Christmas tree on the town square, the "Christs Mass" parade, and things of that nature that are run and sponsored by the state and/or city. They see that as a direct attack on their religious freedom.

Old 12-03-2010, 03:38 PM

20,892 posts, read 16,091,534 times
Quote:
Induction is specific to general, by the way.

Deduction is general to specific.
That's certainly the middle school paraphrase of the difference between them. But they are better expressed in this way:

Arguments based on experience or observation are generally inductive. Arguments based on laws, rules or axioms are generally deductive. Most arguments are inductive, and almost all scientific arguments are inductive. In fact, inductive reasoning comes much more naturally to us than deductive reasoning since this is how we operationally lead our lives.

My syllogism set from a few days ago is a combination of both. The premises were empirically (i.e. inductively) derived. The reasoning from then on, however, was entirely by deductive syllogism.

My suspicions regarding your neural normality are entirely based on induction.

Old 12-03-2010, 03:39 PM

Here's the big question:

Who on this thread is going to buy gifts for December 25?

I know that I'm not!

Old 12-03-2010, 03:40 PM

20,892 posts, read 16,091,534 times
Quote:
Asperger's is as much a myth as anything else we've discussed here.
You do not appear to know what "myth" means. Perhaps a dictionary is in order?

Quote:
Originally Posted by TKramar
If you believe in it, that's up to you, but I call BS. You asked, I told you it didn't exist, and then you were sure.
It's (again) not an issue of "belief." It's an issue of evidence.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TKramar
That wouldn't be using deductive reasoning. That isn't even logical.
It is logical. It's definitely not deductive.

Old 12-03-2010, 03:43 PM

Quote:
Here's the big question:

Who on this thread is going to buy gifts for December 25?

I know that I'm not!
I am, its my sons birthday

And no, his name isn't Jesus, and he wasn't a virgin birth. What would be the fun in that.

Seriously though, people were giving gifts for the winters solstice and celebrating long before Jesus was a thought in anyones head.

Old 12-03-2010, 03:58 PM

9,879 posts, read 8,025,874 times
Quote:
What do you think Black Friday is about?
Christians shopping
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies