Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-30-2010, 01:48 PM

20,892 posts, read 16,083,461 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by renault View Post
Some of the most hateful and intolerant religious nutters I know are atheists.
Some. Certainly not all. Probably not most.

Old 11-30-2010, 01:55 PM

25,947 posts, read 24,752,932 times
Quote:
Some of the most hateful and intolerant religious nutters I know are atheists.
Isn't that a contradiction?

Old 11-30-2010, 02:02 PM

21,026 posts, read 22,155,997 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Calvinist View Post
Google the cosmological argument.

The TAG argument (Transcendental Argument for the existence of God) is another good one that I have yet to see countered effectively.

A man did walk across the water and you won't believe. I doubt you'd believe it if you saw it. sorry. I just think you'd say he was a good illusionist.

Honestly...the cosmological argument is adequate proof--we have an effect (the universe)...God is the cause.""

THAT'S rational!!???? Also proves the presence of elves....

Until you can explain how the universe came from nothing, I'll call you irrational. The only logical argument is God."""

WHY?

"""""Until you can explain how the universe came from nothing, I'll call you irrational."""
That is the most irrational statement I've seen!

Old 11-30-2010, 02:07 PM

23,654 posts, read 17,517,565 times
If this wasn't given notice in the news no one would know about it or pay attention to it. I say ignore it and enjoy Christmas.

Old 11-30-2010, 02:10 PM

21,026 posts, read 22,155,997 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fleet View Post
What is illogical is that some people believe that they only live for 70 or 80 years and spend an eternity not existing."""

Ya, but I don't make stuff up to make myself feel better...

"""I can see you are not familiar with the subject. We all leave our real home because our mortal life is a learning and growing experience."""

For what? Why?

""" When you go through a lifetime of challenges you appreciate your real home (the afterlife) much more."""

Challenges? Some people go through a living hell...funny thing for a "god" to put humans through for no good reasons...whatever your "god" is he is one NASTY MEAN SOB!

"""Dying does strange things, but it can't explain how some people know things they would have never known during their lifetime."""

Science dosne't know the depth and capabilities of the human brain, that's true....but I still won't make up something to get the warm fuzzies...

I could go into it further, and I have in other threads, but why? Some people will always deny everything about the afterlife.
And some will survive on wishful thinking, pretending it's real....facts? Proof?.....Who needs facts and proof when make-believe is so much more fun.

Old 11-30-2010, 02:13 PM

7,006 posts, read 6,996,400 times
The atheists appear to be more anti-Christian than anti-religion. Notice how they don't put up their billboards during any major Jewish or Muslim religious festival, it's usually only during Christmas. Can they really call themselves true atheists if they don't practice equal opportunity to spread their hatred of all religions instead of focusing on just one?

Until the atheists put in practice the reason they claim to have so much of, they are really nothing more than your garden-variety liberal Christianphobes.

Old 11-30-2010, 02:21 PM

25,947 posts, read 24,752,932 times
Quote:
The atheists appear to be more anti-Christian than anti-religion. Notice how they don't put up their billboards during any major Jewish or Muslim religious festival, it's usually only during Christmas. Can they really call themselves true atheists if they don't practice equal opportunity to spread their hatred of all religions instead of focusing on just one?

Until the atheists put in practice the reason they claim to have so much of, they are really nothing more than your garden-variety liberal Christianphobes.
That's probably because the dominant religion in the US is Christianity. Atheists in Iran are probably anti-Islam...

Old 11-30-2010, 02:25 PM

13,163 posts, read 1,700,406 times
[quote=Mightyqueen801;16831918]
Quote:
Originally Posted by FuzzyNuts View Post
I think athiest are just putting it out there that they don't believe in anything because there is no logical proof to believe in a God. They are putting it out there that this time of year is not just about Christians.

I ask for Christians to please read about the history of the winter solstice and it's early holiday celebrations and how they the Christains took most of these celebrations and made them for their own holiday about Jesus after Jesus was around. End of the year holidays were nothing new even before Jesus. The ealiest civilizations use to celebrate it cause the sun would finally be at it's lowest point and the days would start getting longer again. They would celebrate the end of the year and bringing on the new one.[/quote]

Let's take a moment and be a little serious here. Do you REALLY think that there still are Christians around in this day and age who do not know this?
I've often thought about this, and have thought that Christians shouldn't be celebrating Christmas as a Christian holiday with all its pagan trappings. However, it's a nice family time, a lovely holiday -- and-- we can celebrate the birth of Christ whenever we choose. We could do it in the spring, which is more likely when He was born. Does it matter when it is celebrated?

Unfortunately, all the trappings disract from the real meaning of Christ-mas (celebration of Christ).

Old 11-30-2010, 02:25 PM

12,623 posts, read 13,935,689 times
Quote:

Maybe it's because we've yet to be asked "What Mosque do you belong to?", or "What Temple do you attend?". No, it's more like, "what CHURCH do you belong to", usually in a southern drawl. Yuk! No matter where you move in this country you get asked that question. Maybe atheists are sick of it. Stick your churches.

Old 11-30-2010, 02:34 PM

3,860 posts, read 8,454,137 times
Quote:

You might have a point if there were a plethora of billboards here in the U.S. that state that non-Muslims or non-Jews are going to burn in hell, be punished, or suffer because of their lack of "faith".

I see the Atheist billboard as counter the many intolerant and hateful Christian billboards.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies