Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-30-2010, 02:46 PM

196 posts, read 208,797 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sawdustmaker View Post
Did you read the reallly short article?

Their "reasons" for doing so are total BS. They just wanted to get a rise out of people.
The reason are not BS. God & faith are b.s.

"1) To address those atheists who “go along to get along”, and to encourage them to come out of their closets
2) To attack the myth that Christianity owns the solstice season

3) To raise the awareness of the organization and the movement."

(1) is valid because atheists should unite & speak out so we are no longer so discriminated against & misunderstood. Your post validates this.

(2) is valid because "christmas" is just "Winter Solstice" hijacked... Jesus was NOT born in a manger in the middle of the winter!! LOL

(3) is valid because it's clearly linked to #1 and it costs money to put up those signs. That's why I donate to such organizations.

Old 11-30-2010, 02:48 PM

196 posts, read 208,797 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Who?Me?! View Post
"""""Until you can explain how the universe came from nothing, I'll call you irrational."""
That is the most irrational statement I've seen!
The universe didn't come from nothing... god did.

Old 11-30-2010, 03:13 PM

20,892 posts, read 16,085,613 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fleet View Post
What about a 5-year-old boy who said he saw and talked to his dead brother on the Other Side even though the boy was never told he had a brother who died?
It's called "The Law of Incredibly Large Numbers."

Unless you can compare it to the number of times that 5-year-old boys say they saw things that have no relationship to any potential similar coincidence, this is merely an anecdote.

And anecdotes are worthless as evidence for anything.

Old 11-30-2010, 03:14 PM

13 posts, read 13,962 times
The message of this billboard was to directly insult those who believe in Jesus Christ, which is why they illustrated the story of the three wise men. If they did not want to target a specific religious group, then they should have left that imagery out of it and made it more "generic." They specificly targeted Christians for insult. That is quite obvious.

What I would like to know is why they don't put up billboards insulting other religions? How about Islam? Why not throw up something in jest during Ramadan? Are they afraid of the backlash or the negative media attention? How about the Hindus, or the Jews? Heck, put up a picture of thousands of gods with a big text block over it asking, "Which one, guys??" Oh, the Christians deserve it because they're always in everyone's face telling them they're going to hell, right? That's like saying I have the right to punch every black person in the face that I see because maybe 5 or 6 of them have insulted me throughout my life for being white.

They did not put this billboard up to simply exercise their freedom of speech. They did it with malicious intent. "Oh, but what about all of those other 'Christian' billboards that are on the road that I see all the time?" The people that put up those billboards need to think twice about their approach and how effective it is. I don't agree with that approach, but I also don't think that two wrongs make a right.

I get tired of listening to people go on and on about how "hypocritical" Christians are, how they list all the things wrong with them, as if we deserve every "punishment" coming to us. Christians do not believe they are saints or without sin. If you meet one who does, they are not Christian. Christians humble themselves before God, asking for forgiveness from Christ who died on the cross for our sins. We have been given a free gift of salvation, a gift that none of us deserve; a gift that cannot be "earned" by good works or attempts at perfection. We all fall short as we were born sinners. This is what Christians believe. I honestly believe that many in this forum who have thrown insults to Christianity have either been exposed to false teachers who caused them to have a bad experience, or have interpreted the Bible in a manner that feels good to them (or bad, as there is so much negativity in here).

People say that Christians are "full of hate," but I have experienced more hate and judgement from non-Christians after they learn I attend church more than anyone else. I am not in anyone's face, but when asked a question, I answer honestly. It is called persecution, and God predicted it a long time ago. He said, "The world will hate you because they hated Me first." And so it is, and so it will forever be.

Old 11-30-2010, 03:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by slambango View Post
So, you don't believe that something can't come from nothing after all.

Old 11-30-2010, 03:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by honeyblondie30 View Post
What I would like to know is why they don't put up billboards insulting other religions?
Asked and answered. This is a primarily Christian country.

Old 11-30-2010, 03:22 PM

1,011 posts, read 1,017,162 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by honeyblondie30 View Post
The message of this billboard was to directly insult those who believe in Jesus Christ, which is why they illustrated the story of the three wise men. If they did not want to target a specific religious group, then they should have left that imagery out of it and made it more "generic." They specificly targeted Christians for insult. That is quite obvious.

What I would like to know is why they don't put up billboards insulting other religions? How about Islam? Why not throw up something in jest during Ramadan? Are they afraid of the backlash or the negative media attention? How about the Hindus, or the Jews? Heck, put up a picture of thousands of gods with a big text block over it asking, "Which one, guys??" Oh, the Christians deserve it because they're always in everyone's face telling them they're going to hell, right? That's like saying I have the right to punch every black person in the face that I see because maybe 5 or 6 of them have insulted me throughout my life for being white.

They did not put this billboard up to simply exercise their freedom of speech. They did it with malicious intent. "Oh, but what about all of those other 'Christian' billboards that are on the road that I see all the time?" The people that put up those billboards need to think twice about their approach and how effective it is. I don't agree with that approach, but I also don't think that two wrongs make a right.

I get tired of listening to people go on and on about how "hypocritical" Christians are, how they list all the things wrong with them, as if we deserve every "punishment" coming to us. Christians do not believe they are saints or without sin. If you meet one who does, they are not Christian. Christians humble themselves before God, asking for forgiveness from Christ who died on the cross for our sins. We have been given a free gift of salvation, a gift that none of us deserve; a gift that cannot be "earned" by good works or attempts at perfection. We all fall short as we were born sinners. This is what Christians believe. I honestly believe that many in this forum who have thrown insults to Christianity have either been exposed to false teachers who caused them to have a bad experience, or have interpreted the Bible in a manner that feels good to them (or bad, as there is so much negativity in here).

People say that Christians are "full of hate," but I have experienced more hate and judgement from non-Christians after they learn I attend church more than anyone else. I am not in anyone's face, but when asked a question, I answer honestly. It is called persecution, and God predicted it a long time ago. He said, "The world will hate you because they hated Me first." And so it is, and so it will forever be.
If it makes you feel better I insult and mock Muslims with their rumadans, inane and/or violent Koran verses, and silly head attire all the time, as much as Christians. It's just Christians are more in my face in this country, you know. Hard to miss them.

For example - at every hotel I stay there is a Bible in the bedside drawer for some weird reason. I'd prefer something more intellectually stimulating. Put a math book, or a chess book in there or something. Every time I drive down a freeway there are crosses (which were torture devices in ancient Rome) sticking up (who needs billboards)

Can you put stop to these?

Old 11-30-2010, 03:32 PM

6,484 posts, read 6,619,669 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by slambango View Post
Nope. God is eternal. He exists outside of space/time. It's common logic...whatever created the universe (and time) has to exist outside of it. Of course, logic isn't necessarily a strong suit of the neo-atheist crowd.

Old 11-30-2010, 03:46 PM

24,511 posts, read 33,325,190 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HistorianDude View Post
It's called "The Law of Incredibly Large Numbers."

Unless you can compare it to the number of times that 5-year-old boys say they saw things that have no relationship to any potential similar coincidence, this is merely an anecdote.

And anecdotes are worthless as evidence for anything.
You can't compare it because not many 5 year olds have a NDE.
It doesn't change what happened to the 5-year-old I mentioned.

But some people have their minds closed to any kind of experience which points toward an afterlife. Fortunately, I am not one of those.

Old 11-30-2010, 03:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fleet View Post
You can't compare it because not many 5 year olds have a NDE.
Yes you can. 5-year-olds tell stories all the time... even those who were not near death.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fleet
It doesn't change what happened to the 5-year-old I mentioned.
Correction. It doesn't change what the 5-year-old said happened to him. If you have ever had a 5-year-old of your own, you would know full well that the connection between what they say happened and what actually happened is often tenuous.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fleet
But some people have their minds closed to any kind of experience which points toward an afterlife. Fortunately, I am not one of those.
It is one thing to have an open mind. It is another entirely to let your brains fall out on the floor.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies