Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-30-2010, 12:34 PM

6,484 posts, read 6,618,904 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthGAbound12 View Post
If you have this "proof after proof and evidence upon evidence for the existence of God," please do share. Show me some concrete, objective proof and I'll consider it. Don't talk the big talk about proof and evidence when you don't have any. So show me. Show me proof for God, and then show me proof that this "god" wants us to be Christian. Than show me PROOF and EVIDENCE that he's the god of calvinism. Okay ready set...go! *Doesn't hold his breath waiting.*
Google the cosmological argument.

The TAG argument (Transcendental Argument for the existence of God) is another good one that I have yet to see countered effectively.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hammertime33 View Post
Sure there is.

If some man walked across lake Erie I'd start to believe. If somebody parted the Red Sea I'd start to believe. If some guy turned water into wine for me, I'd start to believe. If I had a very small oil lamp, and it somehow burned for 8 days I'd start to believe. If some one magically turned a fish into 1000 fish in front of my eyes I'd start to believe. If my friend died and then 3 days later dug himself out of his grave I'd start to believe. If God could just spare an angel for 20 minutes and send him to my next book club meeting (or whatever) I'll start to believe.

I believe in what the evidence suggests. If I had evidence of a supernatural God who can defy physical laws, then I'd consider and probably accept his existence.
A man did walk across the water and you won't believe. I doubt you'd believe it if you saw it. sorry. I just think you'd say he was a good illusionist.

Honestly...the cosmological argument is adequate proof--we have an effect (the universe)...God is the cause. Until you can explain how the universe came from nothing, I'll call you irrational. The only logical argument is God.

Old 11-30-2010, 12:43 PM

502 posts, read 1,252,056 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by africanboy View Post
Visvaldis, there is no point in arguing with him. The bible is the holy truth and anything which contradicts its teachings is pure fallacy. Remember....?
But the Bible was edited by "man." If it ever was truly "God's Word," well it's been long lost through agendas, editing, and incorrect translations.

Old 11-30-2010, 12:43 PM

14,247 posts, read 17,927,270 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Calvinist View Post

The TAG argument (Transcendental Argument for the existence of God) is another good one that I have yet to see countered effectively.

A man did walk across the water and you won't believe. I doubt you'd believe it if you saw it. sorry. I just think you'd say he was a good illusionist.

Honestly...the cosmological argument is adequate proof--we have an effect (the universe)...God is the cause. Until you can explain how the universe came from nothing, I'll call you irrational. The only logical argument is God.
That isn't logical at all. You are assuming god is the cause but you don't know that. Because science hasn't got an explanation for a particular phenomenon is not "proof" of god. All it means is that the explanation has not been found yet.

Old 11-30-2010, 12:45 PM

1,011 posts, read 1,017,052 times
Ah, 'god of gaps' argument again

Old 11-30-2010, 12:50 PM

3,398 posts, read 5,107,323 times
Whatever the answer is it shouldn't be on billboards or anywhere where I have to look at it.

Old 11-30-2010, 12:52 PM

3,849 posts, read 3,753,645 times
Quote:
Despite what you and others may claim though, atheism is not rational.

We can show you and others proof after proof and evidence upon evidence for the existence of God and you will refuse to believe it...because you have made up your mind ahead of time that there is no evidence that would make you believe.
And this Christian must disagree with your second paragraph. The is NO "proof" or even "evidence" that God exists. The existence of God is taken completely on faith. Just as there likely is nothing that might convince the non-believer to believe, there is also nothing that would convince a believer to disbelieve.

Old 11-30-2010, 12:54 PM

1,011 posts, read 1,017,052 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nocontengencies View Post
Whatever the answer is it shouldn't be on billboards or anywhere where I have to look at it.
That'd mean we'd have to raze all the churches and mosques as well (personally not a problem for me) as they serve as 'billboards' as well for whatever outlook on this question they represent. edit: in addition to their 'right in your face' adverts on ACTUAL BILLBOARDS ACROSS THE NATION (as shown in this very thread)

Or, every bible in the drawer in every hotel you stay at - what's up with these Gideon Bibles stuck in there, anyway? Is it still a 'tradition' to force these books onto every traveler statying at a hotel? Why not a Buddhist text, or the "Principia" by Sir Newton?

Old 11-30-2010, 01:07 PM

14,917 posts, read 13,105,768 times
Quote:

What's God's "cause"? Who created God? How much understanding does God have of his creator?

Old 11-30-2010, 01:09 PM

14,917 posts, read 13,105,768 times
Quote:

Why should I believe that Jesus walked across water? I've never seen a man do it, why should I just accept that he did? I'm not going to accept that something which defies the laws of physics and the natural world happened without some pretty concrete evidence that it in fact did.

Old 11-30-2010, 01:17 PM

88,591 posts, read 84,838,467 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
That's a ridiculous statement. I don't care about the stupid billboard, nor do I care what people believe, but I am annoyed by people who act stupid voluntarily.

Most Christians, just like people of other religions, do a lot of good because they choose to use their lives to make other lives better, not just because they believe in "punishment for wrongdoing". What a dumbass statement.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Who?Me?! View Post
I was responding to THIS POST :

"""Originally Posted by AeroGuyDC
I appreciate your honesty. Your words reinforce what I've thought of Atheists all along: People who have ZERO desire to be accountable for their actions while on this Earth. Pascal's Wager......... Is it worth it to not be accountable only to find out you were wrong all along?""
Well, allrighty then! I do agree that that one is just as dumb.

Sorry, I didn't wade through every one of the posts before I responded and missed that one.

Any blanket statement that wraps up one group or another in some all-encompassing statement is stupid.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies