Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-30-2010, 01:18 PM

25,947 posts, read 24,756,050 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by hammertime33 View Post
Why should I believe that Jesus walked across water? I've never seen a man do it, why should I just accept that he did? I'm not going to accept that something which defies the laws of physics and the natural world happened without some pretty concrete evidence that it in fact did.
Copperfield walked through the Chinese Wall

Old 11-30-2010, 01:20 PM

1,011 posts, read 1,017,162 times
Every advance in science 'squeezes' gods out of the gaps and pockets of yet unknown to us, remember how Earth was supposed to be 6000 years old, with god resting on the seventh day, etc... Now suddenly, the religious have moved the goal posts and "agree" with the fossil and sediment analysis, geology and astrophysics, archeology, etc... and now their holy texts "are not supposed to be taken literally" (what's the point of these texts then?). They even claim now Evolution and Genetics as their own, it's just "god started the whole thing" now. The Big Bang now represents first god manifestation apparently.

They are not even graceful in retreat.

24,511 posts, read 33,325,190 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sanspeur View Post
I don't know exactly how long my heart stopped, but when I awoke my chest had burns on it where the docs had applied the BC hydro system, so that tells me they had trouble with the re-start...I realize that some have what they think are out of body experiences, but there are several theories as to what causes them.

Scientific theories of the near-death experience
Those "theories" can explain some but certainly not all of them.

What about a 5-year-old boy who said he saw and talked to his dead brother on the Other Side even though the boy was never told he had a brother who died?

88,614 posts, read 84,857,016 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mercury Cougar View Post
Oh, waah boo hoo, cry me a river.

Drive along I-70 in the midwest and you'll see arrogance and creepiness, but it won't be a factual billboard like the one you post. No, it will be billboards telling everyone that if they don't believe in the christian god that they're going to burn in hell forever, or billboards of aborted fetuses, and other hate speech by 'loving christians'.

Fact is, the billboard you post is telling the logical, realistic truth about the xmas holiday. Don't like it? Suck it up, buttercup. If christians can put up billboards about what they like, so can atheists.
LOL, is this true? They really have billboards like that?

Old 11-30-2010, 01:22 PM

6,034 posts, read 10,686,766 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Calvinist View Post
A man did walk across the water and you won't believe. I doubt you'd believe it if you saw it. sorry. I just think you'd say he was a good illusionist.

Honestly...the cosmological argument is adequate proof--we have an effect (the universe)...God is the cause. Until you can explain how the universe came from nothing, I'll call you irrational. The only logical argument is God.
Your razor is so dull and rusty that it makes baby Ockham cry.

Old 11-30-2010, 01:23 PM

[quote=FuzzyNuts;16817076]I think athiest are just putting it out there that they don't believe in anything because there is no logical proof to believe in a God. They are putting it out there that this time of year is not just about Christians.

I ask for Christians to please read about the history of the winter solstice and it's early holiday celebrations and how they the Christains took most of these celebrations and made them for their own holiday about Jesus after Jesus was around. End of the year holidays were nothing new even before Jesus. The ealiest civilizations use to celebrate it cause the sun would finally be at it's lowest point and the days would start getting longer again. They would celebrate the end of the year and bringing on the new one.[/quote]

Let's take a moment and be a little serious here. Do you REALLY think that there still are Christians around in this day and age who do not know this?

Old 11-30-2010, 01:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nocontengencies View Post
Whatever the answer is it shouldn't be on billboards or anywhere where I have to look at it.
Well yes, you should listen to that little lizard thing and get a quote from Geico, just like the billboards tell you to.

Old 11-30-2010, 01:27 PM

24,511 posts, read 33,325,190 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Who?Me?! View Post
But that is illogical....those "thoughts" or feelings do not prove there's a god..

For instance....why did humans have to LEAVE their "real" home????

Even if ""eternal life" is their real home it doesn't prove who made it.

Nope, dying does strange things to a person's body and brain....not all of it real.
What is illogical is that some people believe that they only live for 70 or 80 years and spend an eternity not existing.

I can see you are not familiar with the subject. We all leave our real home because our mortal life is a learning and growing experience. When you go through a lifetime of challenges you appreciate your real home (the afterlife) much more.

Dying does strange things, but it can't explain how some people know things they would have never known during their lifetime.

I could go into it further, and I have in other threads, but why? Some people will always deny everything about the afterlife.

Old 11-30-2010, 01:34 PM

7,006 posts, read 6,997,202 times
Some of the most hateful and intolerant religious nutters I know are atheists.

Old 11-30-2010, 01:47 PM

20,892 posts, read 16,085,613 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Calvinist View Post
Honestly...the cosmological argument is adequate proof--we have an effect (the universe)...God is the cause. Until you can explain how the universe came from nothing, I'll call you irrational. The only logical argument is God.
There is no "Cosmological argument."

There is the beginning of a Cosmological Argument, but it leads only to the conclusion of an infinite regress; i.e. an eternal and uncreated universe.

At that point, the apologist abandons the argument, contradicts its own premise, and arbitrarily declares "God."

All versions of the "Cosmological" argument make this same fundamental error.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies