Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-01-2010, 10:51 AM

20,892 posts, read 16,085,613 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calvinist View Post
Can you show me where the Bible states taht the sun revolves around the earth? Or that the earth is flat?
I've given you two web sites of people who are in the best position to answer that question for you. Please... knock yourself out.

Old 12-01-2010, 10:52 AM

5,562 posts, read 5,685,041 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by filihok View Post
At least science has changed it's thinking in the last 2000 years and will change in the next 2000

Ok so in the meantime you can just believe lies :-)
If the religion is lying about GOD and all the laws in the bible what is the difference. If science told you if you eat meat any meat you would die in 3 weeks would you eat meat or believe the science which was false.
I'm just saying living your life was you want because you don't want a person in the sky telling you how to live is fine. Living your life based on science doesn't really solve any issues or life problems you might have either.
If family members hate each other or a brother and sister are hateful ... does science have a solution for that or so a teaching in any religion give someone a few words of wisdom.
I'm not sure telling someone if they are hateful it will cause them stress and put strain on their heart which might result in a heart attack is going to work.

Old 12-01-2010, 10:56 AM

6,484 posts, read 6,619,669 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HistorianDude View Post
I've given you two web sites of people who are in the best position to answer that question for you. Please... knock yourself out.
So you don't really know then? You've given me a link to a poorly designed website...probably by a fringe group that doesn't present a Biblical understanding..I don't much care to do your research for you, to be honest.

Can you actually tell me where the Bible makes the claim that the sun revolves around the earth, or that the earth is flat? Just copy and paste a verse. that's all I'm asking. Until then I'm going to assume you're just like all the other tough-guy atheists that think you can bully people around and tell people you're smarter than us dumb hick Christians.

Old 12-01-2010, 11:02 AM

Quote:
So you don't really know then?
Of course I do. But I'm not going to give you another excuse to run away from your inability to defend the Cosmological Argument. So you are welcome to chase that particular red herring on your own. I gave you two web sites of Bible believers who insist that the earth is flat and it orbits around the sun because "the Bible says so." Go argue with them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calvinist
You've given me a link to a poorly designed website...probably by a fringe group that doesn't present a Biblical understanding..I don't much care to do your research for you, to be honest.
Back at ya, bubba.

Quote:
Until then I'm going to assume you're just like all the other tough-guy atheists that think you can bully people around and tell people you're smarter than us dumb hick Christians.
Oh, I don't think that I am smarter than all of you.

Last edited by HistorianDude; 12-01-2010 at 11:11 AM..

Old 12-01-2010, 11:30 AM

6,484 posts, read 6,619,669 times
Quote:
Of course I do. But I'm not going to give you another excuse to run away from your inability to defend the Cosmological Argument. So you are welcome to chase that particular red herring on your own. I gave you two web sites of Bible believers who insist that the earth is flat and it orbits around the sun because "the Bible says so." Go argue with them.

Back at ya, bubba.

Oh, I don't think that I am smarter than all of you.
You made a false statement regarding the Bible. I'm giving you a chance to back it up. At this point you are looking pretty bad. All I ask is that you back up your silly claim.

Tell ya what: I heard all atheists are dumb and they believe in pink unicorns on Venus. Here's a website. http://www.fool.com/

See? There!!!!!!!!!!!!! I must be right!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!@

Old 12-01-2010, 11:38 AM

13,285 posts, read 15,312,275 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LibertyandJusticeforAll View Post
Ok so in the meantime you can just believe lies :-)
If the religion is lying about GOD and all the laws in the bible what is the difference.
One admits that they don't have the answers and searches for them and is constantly changing as new information comes in.

One claims to have the answers and in many instances is resistant to new information and new ideas

That is the difference

Old 12-01-2010, 11:40 AM

Quote:
You made a false statement regarding the Bible.
I did no such thing.

Quote:
I'm giving you a chance to back it up.
And I have declined to do so at least twice now. Instead I provided you with two websites of Bible believing Christians who insist that the sun orbits the earth or that the earth is flat "because the Bible says so."

I again suggest you go argue with them.

Quote:
At this point you are looking pretty bad. All I ask is that you back up your silly claim.
At this point I am very content with how I look. Your argument is entirely an internal feud between Christians.

Now... when are you going to get around to defending that absurd and fallacious Cosmological Argument for the existence of God?

Old 12-01-2010, 11:50 AM

6,034 posts, read 10,686,766 times
Quote:

Now... when are you going to get around to defending that absurd and fallacious Cosmological Argument for the existence of God?
Don't look for any real answers from Calvinist. He's a nanny-nanny-boo-boo type of responder, who when cornered will either bluster, or just quit posting.

Old 12-01-2010, 11:51 AM

7,871 posts, read 10,135,035 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mercury Cougar View Post
Don't look for any real answers from Calvinist. He's a nanny-nanny-boo-boo type of responder, who when cornered will either bluster, or just quit posting.
But his defense of Creationism is comedy gold.

Old 12-01-2010, 11:56 AM

9,879 posts, read 8,022,870 times
Quote:

As to the "afterlife," science has no obvious obligation to explain something that does not exist. It reasonably makes no effort to explain unicorns, Santa Claus, angels or djinn, or Russel's teapot.
Science is no fun

Every Winter Solstice Season, I hang a wooden Santa on my front door, with the word "Believe" written beneath him

I remember when I was a little girl, I was one of the last "hold outs" on whether Santa existed or not. I even went to the library and brought home books for proof. When my son was little, I went to great lengths to make sure there were hoof prints and soot by the fireplace, cookies and rum laced warm milk, etc. My son turned out to be a last hold out too. And while many are at church, or listening to the Pope from the Vatican on TV, we are tracking Santa and the reindeer on Dec. 24th

Official NORAD Santa Tracker

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hzkrVSDTfic

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RapJevrCKag

Newseum - Yes, Virginia, there is a Santa Claus
"DEAR EDITOR: I am 8 years old.
"Some of my little friends say there is no Santa Claus.
"Papa says, 'If you see it in THE SUN it's so.'
"Please tell me the truth; is there a Santa Claus?

"VIRGINIA O'HANLON.
"115 WEST NINETY-FIFTH STREET."

"VIRGINIA, your little friends are wrong. They have been affected by the skepticism of a skeptical age. They do not believe except [what] they see. They think that nothing can be which is not comprehensible by their little minds. All minds, Virginia, whether they be men's or children's, are little. In this great universe of ours man is a mere insect, an ant, in his intellect, as compared with the boundless world about him, as measured by the intelligence capable of grasping the whole of truth and knowledge.

Yes, VIRGINIA, there is a Santa Claus. He exists as certainly as love and generosity and devotion exist, and you know that they abound and give to your life its highest beauty and joy. Alas! how dreary would be the world if there were no Santa Claus. It would be as dreary as if there were no VIRGINIAS. There would be no childlike faith then, no poetry, no romance to make tolerable this existence. We should have no enjoyment, except in sense and sight. The eternal light with which childhood fills the world would be extinguished.

Not believe in Santa Claus! You might as well not believe in fairies! You might get your papa to hire men to watch in all the chimneys on Christmas Eve to catch Santa Claus, but even if they did not see Santa Claus coming down, what would that prove? Nobody sees Santa Claus, but that is no sign that there is no Santa Claus. The most real things in the world are those that neither children nor men can see. Did you ever see fairies dancing on the lawn? Of course not, but that's no proof that they are not there. Nobody can conceive or imagine all the wonders there are unseen and unseeable in the world.

You may tear apart the baby's rattle and see what makes the noise inside, but there is a veil covering the unseen world which not the strongest man, nor even the united strength of all the strongest men that ever lived, could tear apart. Only faith, fancy, poetry, love, romance, can push aside that curtain and view and picture the supernal beauty and glory beyond. Is it all real? Ah, VIRGINIA, in all this world there is nothing else real and abiding.

No Santa Claus! Thank God! he lives, and he lives forever. A thousand years from now, Virginia, nay, ten times ten thousand years from now, he will continue to make glad the heart of childhood."

So, for all the Virginia's and "hold outs" in the world a

Sometimes, things are so special, it's hard to accept when someone tells you it is not real
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies