Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-01-2010, 12:16 PM

3,282 posts, read 5,203,513 times

Advertisements

Early Jews, like other pre-science Middle Eastern peoples would have believed in a cosmology that looked a lot like this.

Quote:
With the Babylonians, the Hebrews believed that in the beginning, before earth and heaven had been separated ("created," http://www.jewishencyclopedia.com/volume4/V04p281003.jpg (broken link)), there were primeval ocean ("tehom," always without the article) and darkness (http://www.jewishencyclopedia.com/volume4/V04p281004.jpg (broken link)). From this the "word of God" (compare such passages as, God "roars" [http://www.jewishencyclopedia.com/volume4/V04p281005.jpg (broken link)], Ps. xviii. 16; civ. 7) called forth light. He divided the waters: the upper waters he shut up in heaven, and on the lower He established the earth. In older descriptions the combat against the tehom is related with more details. Tehom (also Rahab) has helpers, the http://www.jewishencyclopedia.com/volume4/V04p281006.jpg (broken link) and the Leviathan, Behemot, the "Naḥash Bariaḥ." The following is the order of Creation as given in Gen. 1.: (1) the heaven; (2) the earth; (3) the plants; (4) the celestial bodies; (5) the animals; (6) man. The Hebrews regarded the earth as a plain or a hill figured like a hemisphere, swimming on water. Over this is arched the solid vault of heaven. To this vault are fastened the lights, the stars. So slight is this elevation that birds may rise to it and fly along its expanse.
Read more: JewishEncyclopedia.com - COSMOGONY.

Modern biblical scholars argue that the firmament or "raqia" described in the bible is non solid, but other passages support the idea of a solid vault above a flat continent.
Quote:
And God said, Let there be a firmament in the middle of the waters, and let it divide the waters from the waters. Gen 1:6
Quote:
can you join him in spreading out the skies, hard as a mirror of cast bronze? Job 37:18
Putting aside the problem of a solid vault, there definitely is no body of water above the atmosphere. Certainly not enough to flood the Earth.

Quote:
11In the six hundredth year of Noah's life, in the second month, on the seventeenth day of the month, on the same day all the fountains of the great deep burst open, and the floodgates of the sky were opened. Gen 7:11
I doubt most or even many Bible followers believe that the Earth is flat or that there is a vault with water on top above the atmosphere with windows which open up for rain and for the sun and moon to move across, in that case these passages must present quite an embarrassing problem for the modern Jew/Christian.

Old 12-01-2010, 12:20 PM

6,484 posts, read 6,618,904 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mercury Cougar View Post
Don't look for any real answers from Calvinist. He's a nanny-nanny-boo-boo type of responder, who when cornered will either bluster, or just quit posting.
I'm still waiting for him to actually answer my last question.

Old 12-01-2010, 12:26 PM

20,892 posts, read 16,083,461 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Calvinist View Post
I'm still waiting for him to actually answer my last question.
What part of "go pound sand" did you not understand?

Old 12-01-2010, 12:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoarfrost View Post
Early Jews, like other pre-science Middle Eastern peoples would have believed in a cosmology that looked a lot like this.
The late Bob Schadewald (a personal friend whom I miss deeply) was the unchallenged expert on Biblical Flat Earthism. I used to gain great pleasure from helping him research the history of American flat-earthism when I lived close to Zion, Illinois; the center of the movement for decades.

His article "The Flat-Earth Bible" remains to this day the most succinct demonstration of the Bible's unchallengeable character as a flat earth book.

The Flat-Earth Bible.

Old 12-01-2010, 12:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HistorianDude View Post
What part of "go pound sand" did you not understand?
lol....don't say I didn't give you a chance. I'll just take that as "I'm too smart for you...I'm an internet toughguy who doesn't have to explain myself".

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoarfrost View Post

Read more: JewishEncyclopedia.com - COSMOGONY.

Modern biblical scholars argue that the firmament or "raqia" described in the bible is non solid, but other passages support the idea of a solid vault above a flat continent.
Putting aside the problem of a solid vault, there definitely is no body of water above the atmosphere. Certainly not enough to flood the Earth.

I doubt most or even many Bible followers believe that the Earth is flat or that there is a vault with water on top above the atmosphere with windows which open up for rain and for the sun and moon to move across, in that case these passages must present quite an embarrassing problem for the modern Jew/Christian.

Perhaps you misunderstood my speaking of the "cosmological argument". Basically, the cosmological argument argues that since everything that exists had a cause for its existence, we can infer that the universe had a creation that is not part of itself. I don't know what all this stuff you posted has to do with it, and frankly it doesn't really pertain to the Biblical view of creation.

Old 12-01-2010, 01:01 PM

Quote:
I'll just take that as "I'm too smart for you...I'm an internet toughguy who doesn't have to explain myself".
Be my guest....

Now, are you going to run away from the Cosmological Argument for the existence of God again?

Old 12-01-2010, 01:10 PM

4,173 posts, read 6,688,502 times
I love it! Atheist ads in the deep south - now playing in buses of Ft. Worth:
Atheist ads turn up on buses in Fort Worth, Texas | McClatchy

Dallas rules disallow such ads in their buses:
DART policy against 'religiously based' ads includes atheist messages now appearing on Fort Worth T buses | News for Dallas, Texas | Dallas Morning News | Latest News (http://www.dallasnews.com/sharedcontent/dws/dn/latestnews/stories/120210dnmetatheistads_hp.2845d21fc.html - broken link)

Old 12-01-2010, 01:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HistorianDude View Post
Be my guest....

Now, are you going to run away from the Cosmological Argument for the existence of God again?
What exactly is your problem with it? I think it's a sound argument.

Old 12-01-2010, 01:14 PM

Quote:
Basically, the cosmological argument argues that since everything that exists had a cause for its existence, we can infer that the universe had a creation that is not part of itself.
Wrong.

The Cosmological Argument infers that the universe must be eternal and uncreated. The additional conclusion of a "creation that is not part of itself" requires the abandonment of the argument and the intuitive assertion of a conclusion that directly violates the argument's premise.

Old 12-01-2010, 01:15 PM

956 posts, read 1,114,568 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Strel View Post
But his defense of Creationism is comedy gold.
Well you can't prove that God doesn't exist, and the bible says you're going to burn in hell, and by not accepting Jesus as your saviour you are doomed, and....

See where I'm going with this?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies