Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-03-2010, 01:15 PM

7,871 posts, read 10,137,985 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by no1brownsfan View Post
Personally, as a Christian, I get annoyed with those types as well. While I am a Christian, and a believer, what right is it of mine to judge how others live, or to tell others how to live just because I don't live that way? I mean, I do believe in personal liberties. Pretty simple actually. I wish more people Christian or not, would live like that.
I would prefer if more people who call themselves Christian would simply lead by example and stop trying to stick their noses in other people's lives.

But I'm just a Methodist. You know, ChristianLite(tm).

Old 12-03-2010, 01:16 PM

7,871 posts, read 10,137,985 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TKramar View Post
You doubt that I'm more intelligent than you. I don't doubt it, and I've made the offer to prove it.
I don't doubt that he is more intelligent than you, and your posts are proof enough.

He's a good bit more emotionally mature than you as well.

Old 12-03-2010, 01:16 PM

20,892 posts, read 16,091,534 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mjs1987 View Post
Dont these signs make atheists look like hypocrites? Doesnt any atheist evangelization look hypocritcal?
If it's an attempt at evangelism, maybe. But if it's not, it's not. As far as I can tell, the question it asks already shows that the target audience is not believing Christians. It is people who already "know it's a myth" and it is encouraging them to understand they are not alone.

After all, when there are more declared Scientoligists in the US Congress than declared atheists, you have to assume that most atheists are in the closet for a reason and might need a little encouragement.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjs1987
One of the many complaints that atheists and non-religious have about religious people is that they push their faith and preach about their faith and morals. Many atheists and non-religious say that religious need to be more tolerant and less preachy.
I honestly believe that you are mistaken. In the first place, most religions are not preachy at all. Christianity and Islam are unique in their shared evangelistic nature among the great world religions.

But it is not generally "evangelism" that atheists object to. It is the attempt to actually impose beliefs and behavior on non-believers. It is the fact that religious unreason leads to so many bad social and political decisions. This is why atheists are such big supporters of the establishment clause, while conservative Christians (like Christine O'Donnell) bristle with resentment over their inability to use the organs of government to their preferred evangelical purpose.

Quote:
However, dont these billboards just encite and entice the very Christians that atheists and non-religious do not like preaching and proselytizing to do just that? It seems like it is counterintuitive and hypocritical.
If nothing else, it certainly moves some distance towards leveling the playing field by laying claim to parity in the marketplace of ideas.

Quote:
It makes atheists and non-religious seem like they can dish it out but that they cant take it.
I beg to differ. It instead shows that atheists and non-religious can dish it out and take it. We've certainly taken it for the better part of a couple millennia.

Quote:
It also shows them to be very disrespectful of Christians. This is one of the biggest times of the year for Christians. It doesnt seem to be very tolerant and accepting to do this at a time of year that is thought highly of by Christians.
In the immortal words of H.L. Mencken:

"We must respect the other fellow's religion, but only in the sense and to the extent that we respect his theory that his wife is beautiful and his children smart."

Quote:
Do atheists put up these billboards during Ramadan? or Jewish holidays?
When Yom Kippur or Eid al-Adha become major cultural celebrations in this country, that might make sense. These days? not so much.

Quote:
It makes atheists seem to be anti-Christian and hate Christians rather than disbelieve in God.
There is nothing anybody can do to make Christians feel not hated. The Christian persecution complex is fundamental to their entire religious world view. Read some Nietzsche on that issue. You'll learn a lot.

Old 12-03-2010, 01:20 PM

20,892 posts, read 16,091,534 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TKramar View Post
You doubt that I'm more intelligent than you. I don't doubt it, and I've made the offer to prove it.
Why are you unable to demonstrate your incisive intelligence by coming up with a single example of a cause that is not also an effect?

Old 12-03-2010, 01:25 PM

1,219 posts, read 3,171,602 times
I'm not a religious person, but a good way to get me to walk away is for anyone to start telling me what I should think and believe.

Life is too short to spend it trying to get a rise out of other people.

Old 12-03-2010, 01:28 PM

27,232 posts, read 46,684,019 times
Cause and effect are two different things. A "cause" is not a "result".

How much intelligence does it take you to figure that out?

Old 12-03-2010, 01:31 PM

15,896 posts, read 11,999,605 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Strel View Post
I would prefer if more people who call themselves Christian would simply lead by example and stop trying to stick their noses in other people's lives.

That's what I'm talking about.

Old 12-03-2010, 01:33 PM

12,669 posts, read 20,457,755 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Strel View Post

That does not work when laws are being made against the Christian belief and that is how the laws have been made uncontested until now.
The atheists have a fight with things now and dont like it! Well to damn bad they kept pushing and pushing the envelope to the edge.
The thing about the Christians is they do not post things to hurt the atheists like nativity's in front of their own churches etc or gifts of ten commandments on courthouse lawns the atheists just want to be angry and cannot bear to look at them oh well pull up your big person pants and get over it! Christians dont go out of their way to disrupt a atheists life as the atheists like to do!

Old 12-03-2010, 01:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HistorianDude View Post

But it is not generally "evangelism" that atheists object to. It is the attempt to actually impose beliefs and behavior on non-believers.

Odd, it seems as if they're trying to impose their beliefs on others by calling those who hold them wrong and referring to their beliefs as myths.

The same judgemental attitude they cry about receiving, they're handing out.

If they were truly not hypocritical, they could say, "Look, we're keeping to ourselves, not bothering anyone, why are you persecuting us?" But they would have to keep to themselves to do that!

I don't talk to other people. I don't see any reason to give them my opinions and idea, to impose myself on them. As long as they also leave ME alone, then everyone's happy.

Old 12-03-2010, 01:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miborn View Post
That does not work when laws are being made against the Christian belief and that is how the laws have been made uncontested until now.
The atheists have a fight with things now and dont like it! Well to damn bad they kept pushing and pushing the envelope to the edge.
The thing about the Christians is they do not post things to hurt the atheists like nativity's in front of their own churches etc or gifts of ten commandments on courthouse lawns the atheists just want to be angry and cannot bear to look at them oh well pull up your big person pants and get over it! Christians dont go out of their way to disrupt a atheists life as the atheists like to do!
Those don't need to be posted either. Keep your religion and your politics,and every other opinion to yourself...or just post it on the Internet where none of the people are real.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies