Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-10-2010, 06:44 AM

19,567 posts, read 21,873,039 times

Advertisements

Actually,when unemployed you are not required to take a job that you are over qualified for,those are the rules at least here.

So that isn't milking the system,it is following the rules.

It also makes economic sense.

Of course to so many,this isn't about economics and such,it is about them being POed others don't have to work and are getting paid.

I am wondering,does a person who works for 40 years,pays into Soc. Sec. and then retires,living for another 20 years break even,get out less than he paid in, or gets back more than he paid in????
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-10-2010, 06:49 AM

17,401 posts, read 11,978,162 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by frizzo100 View Post
I'm sure the fact that you both lost your jobs made your decision to move much easier. It's not like either of you had to quit a good job so the other could move to find work. Also, with the cost of living in California, even if you were both receiving benefits, you probably wouldn't have made enough to make your house payments anyway, so selling your house is a no-brainer.

My situation is different. My wife has a good job and I would never ask her to quit it just so I can find employment. Why would I want to put her in the situation I'm in now?

You're going to be in a position to hire someone? I didn't know somebody could move up the corporate ladder at McDonald's so soon.
Now you're just being nasty. I hardly work at McD's. Although, if that's what was out there, I would do it. The fact is, I'm a highly skilled professional with a fantastic work ethic.

If you think the decision to move was easy just because we'd both lost jobs, you are sadly mistaken. My husband left his entire family, including his mom and only sister and her family. I left a community that I was actively involved in, and good friends that I've known for a long time. I left a part of the country that has spectacular scenery and weather.

As for making my house payment, unlike most of the knuckleheads in CA that bought houses way out of their price, my house was affordable and the payments would have been doable. Selling my home was gutwrenching. I'd poured hours of work into fixing it up, and it was an ideal property.

So before you pretend to know anything about me and my situation, you might want to take a breath. And in 3 years, when you're done couch surfing and finally have to get a job, I bet that job at McDonalds will still be available.

Old 12-10-2010, 06:50 AM

21,026 posts, read 22,153,076 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oz in SC View Post
That is a strange attitude amongst Americans,they would rather attack the individual and place blame almost totally on them rather than ever think it could be the company or corporation or business owner.

It is probably due to the mistaken belief that one day they too will be the one with power...and so sacrifice their lives towards that goal.
What's funny,too, is that those who look down their noses at the unemployed don't realize that Really Wealthy people look down their noses at THEM! Really Wealthy people wonder why they're so lazy that they aren't millionaires and why are they wasting time on CD when they could be spending that time more productively making more money....

(Now watch how many come in claiming they ARE millionaires, that's always hilarious)

Old 12-10-2010, 06:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ringwise View Post
Now you're just being nasty. I hardly work at McD's. Although, if that's what was out there, I would do it. The fact is, I'm a highly skilled professional with a fantastic work ethic.

If you think the decision to move was easy just because we'd both lost jobs, you are sadly mistaken. My husband left his entire family, including his mom and only sister and her family. I left a community that I was actively involved in, and good friends that I've known for a long time. I left a part of the country that has spectacular scenery and weather.

As for making my house payment, unlike most of the knuckleheads in CA that bought houses way out of their price, my house was affordable and the payments would have been doable. Selling my home was gutwrenching. I'd poured hours of work into fixing it up, and it was an ideal property.

So before you pretend to know anything about me and my situation, you might want to take a breath. And in 3 years, when you're done couch surfing and finally have to get a job, I bet that job at McDonalds will still be available.
So...you sacrificed friends,family,your house and a place you loved to live...for what exactly?

Seriously,it seems you value work more than all of the above...which is quite foreign to me.

But then work is something you do so you can live,not the other way round in my opinion.

Old 12-10-2010, 06:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pvande55 View Post
I bet that most of those who bash the unemployed either work in secure government jobs or are retired so they need not be concerned. Those who still have jobs should be thanking whatever God they believe in for their continued employment.
Nope - this EU basher is currently working, after being out of work since July. Nice try, though.

Old 12-10-2010, 06:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Who?Me?! View Post
What's funny,too, is that those who look down their noses at the unemployed don't realize that Really Wealthy people look down their noses at THEM! Really Wealthy people wonder why they're so lazy that they aren't millionaires and why are they wasting time on CD when they could be spending that time more productively making more money....

(Now watch how many come in claiming they ARE millionaires, that's always hilarious)
America is an interesting place,that's for sure.

I find the ingrained belief you MUST work hard your entire life,sacrificing everything in order to make money odd.

But then I do not worship money like so many people do...it is a means to an end not the end itself.

Old 12-10-2010, 06:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oz in SC View Post
So...you sacrificed friends,family,your house and a place you loved to live...for what exactly?

Seriously,it seems you value work more than all of the above...which is quite foreign to me.

But then work is something you do so you can live,not the other way round in my opinion.
Lazy slackers will never understand the work ethic. Or planning for a future that doesn't include milking the govt when the time comes. Or staying in their own country instead of moving to another, while bashing that country and milking their system. Just sayin'

I don't value work above everything. And I will get back there eventually. But it will be with the knowledge that I never soaked my govt.

By the way, your attitude is quite foreign to me.

Old 12-10-2010, 07:09 AM

9,503 posts, read 9,821,926 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tinman01 View Post
Maybe those who question how many are unemployed know some folks milking it for all its worth? I have not posted on the topic before but I know several people who are milking it because they refuse to take a lower end job that pays less than unemployment does.
I don't work for the government, nor am I retired. I have never ever taken a dime in unemployment either. I have worked at a pizza shop delivering pizza and at a nursing home as an aide, and for a landscaper cutting grass all at the same time. 7 days a week no days off. It sucked but I paid my bills paid for the births of 2 children, and hated life for 3 years until I finally ended up with a good job with benefits.
I don't begrudge someone who is laid off or down on their luck. I don't believe that all or even most folks on unemployment are scamming the system. I simply don't believe that all of them are honest.
I took a look at the jobs in the area where the OP lives. Now I don't know what he is qualified for, but one website (which doesn't show all those stupid work at home type job listings) showed 3,849 legitimate jobs openings in the St. Louis Metro area.

Saint Louis Jobs, Jobs In Saint Louis, MO | Hound.com

Old 12-10-2010, 07:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ringwise View Post
Lazy slackers will never understand the work ethic. Or planning for a future that doesn't include milking the govt when the time comes. Or staying in their own country instead of moving to another, while bashing that country and milking their system. Just sayin'
LOL...a little hostility there....it is your life.

So if I have deciphered your posting above, working hard,and planning for some nebulous future is more important than the here and now,if working is more important than your home,family and friends that is your choice.
You will still be dead in the end.
You remind me of the miserable old people at the last place I worked(gated community) worked all their lives and now complain about everything...

Quote:
I don't value work above everything. And I will get back there eventually. But it will be with the knowledge that I never soaked my govt.
Lets hope you never plan to take advantage of any gov. programs like Soc. Sec. Medicare,etc....

Quote:
By the way, your attitude is quite foreign to me.
I imagine so,the idea of enjoying life is lost on most people here,better to work your life away so you can retire at an age when life has passed you by,and then complain about everything...and still wind up dead...

Old 12-10-2010, 07:17 AM

90,297 posts, read 120,779,853 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by andrea3821 View Post
Thank you! I already told her to PM me if she wants to bash me and/or discuss something that is OT. But nooooooo. I'm not going to respond to her anymore so you don't have to worry about it on my end. FWIW, I couldn't care less about Ocala, I hated every minute of living there and I'm 1200 miles away now so it's not like any of it has anything to do with me anymore. She is nitpicking and trying to get a rise out of me. She got what she wanted for the last time.

My apologies to those on this thread for getting OT.
Get off your high horse. You have been acting like you think you are the mod. You are also making a personal attack right there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies