Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-10-2010, 10:21 AM

1,173 posts, read 1,534,267 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by oz in SC View Post
You could have just left it at the underlined....
I could have... Although I like to offer more than just my two-cents. I'm more of a dollar kind of gal.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-10-2010, 10:27 AM

5,232 posts, read 8,412,093 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by frizzo100 View Post
Some of you people make me sick. You act like every person who is unemployed is getting some kind of enjoyment out of this horrible situation. I really never thought I would stoop to this level of wishing something bad on people who I don't even know, but being unemployed changes you. Every time I hear someone say we are lazy or milking the system it makes my blood boil. There is nothing that would please me more (other than getting a job) than to see you people lose your jobs. Maybe then you would wake up and smell the coffee.

Umm, I did, two years ago, it sucks but life goes on. You might not be lazy but you are milking the system, so was I. Thats what the system is for.

Unemployment doesn't change you, you are who you are

I hope you step in dog crap & get it all over the living room carpet.

Old 12-10-2010, 10:35 AM

27,624 posts, read 21,118,610 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by andrea3821 View Post
Do you know how easy it is to scam the UE office? All you have to do is tell them where you put in applications. It's not like they have time to verify every application that everyone supposedly puts in. Ever see Seinfeld? The one with George applying for a job at Vandalay Industries as a latex salesman? Yeah, stuff like that really does go on in real life.

Then you have people who do put in applications (usually just online) and then turn down interviews. Or they go to interviews and turn down job offers.

Then you have those who go around to local businesses and instead of asking for an application, they ask for the manager to sign their piece of paper saying they came in to look for a job. This happened to my husband on numerous occasions, people would come in and say "Hey, can you sign this paper saying I came in to look for a job so I can keep my UE?" He always said no. Some people actually had the decency to first ask if they were hiring (at the time, the answer was no), but he also would not sign those people's papers b/c they did not APPLY for a job. Inquiries and applications are two totally different things.

I just named five different ways people can scam the system. And you think all people have to do is "satisfy the requirements of the UE office." Sure, they are satisfying the requirements but they're LYING to do so.
There are scammers in every industry and walks of life, but you cannot paint with as broad a brush as you are doing in this current economical disaster. Do you really believe that all of the unemployed are living a life of leisure and luxuriating on the pittance that they receive form their benefit to support a family and puposely not seeking out employment?

Old 12-10-2010, 10:41 AM

8,806 posts, read 6,108,411 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sickofnyc View Post
There are scammers in every industry and walks of life, but you cannot paint with as broad a brush as you are doing in this current economical disaster. Do you really believe that all of the unemployed are living a life of leisure and luxuriating on the pittance that they receive form their benefit to support a family and puposely not seeking out employment?
Again, I never once said that. You're putting words in my mouth.

Old 12-10-2010, 10:42 AM

27,624 posts, read 21,118,610 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tin Knocker View Post
Umm, I did, two years ago, it sucks but life goes on. You might not be lazy but you are milking the system, so was I. Thats what the system is for.

Unemployment doesn't change you, you are who you are

I hope you step in dog crap & get it all over the living room carpet.
Do people still use carpet? Yuk!

Old 12-10-2010, 10:53 AM

4,049 posts, read 2,740,667 times
Quote:
Completely agree.

I want to add that posters here keep talking about displacing workers so people can get jobs...there is no displacement when there is a JOB OPENING. It's not like they say "Oh, you're fired so I can hire this other guy." There is definitely no displacement when a new business opens and needs employees. We need to start from the top by giving the rich their tax breaks so they can open new businesses (either directly by opening one themselves or indirectly by funding a startup), create jobs and give the UE bennies a chance to get off UE. If the bennies don't follow through, which they likely won't b/c UE is just so easy to get and keep that there's no incentive to not get it, even if a job comes their way, then who's fault is that? Why should you and I keep paying for them to sit around? Yes, some of them are trying (sad I have to even put a disclaimer like this) but many of them are not for reasons mentioned previously in this thread by both me and others.
The rich have been getting the tax breaks andrea........how many times do you have to be told that "trickle down" does not work. They are not creating jobs or opening businesses.
You have a chip on your shoulder when it comes to the unemployed.

You don't get nearly as upset about your tax dollars going to pay for many of the 'other' needless things such as wars, etc.
There are NOT as many of them unemployed trying to scam the system as you believe. The money that is scammed isn't a pittance of what this government wastes.

Old 12-10-2010, 11:00 AM

8,806 posts, read 6,108,411 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sindey View Post
The rich have been getting the tax breaks andrea........how many times do you have to be told that "trickle down" does not work. They are not creating jobs or opening businesses.
You have a chip on your shoulder when it comes to the unemployed.

You don't get nearly as upset about your tax dollars going to pay for many of the 'other' needless things such as wars, etc.
There are NOT as many of them unemployed trying to scam the system as you believe. The money that is scammed isn't a pittance of what this government wastes.
I have no chip, I don't know why I would.

The reason people are not currently creating as many jobs as they could be is b/c the future is uncertain. The health care law has a big role in it, as does the uncertainty of our tax structure. We have like a week or two left before the end of this year's congressional session and they're still bickering about tax cuts, something that could have been taken care of months or even years ago. THAT is why people aren't hiring, not b/c trickle-down doesn't work.

And yes, I do get upset about the wars, I just accept that they are what we have to do to stop terrorism, at least in part. I'm a pacifist, you better believe I was PO-ed when we started the Iraq War. It's a major reason I voted for Obama as well, b/c I wanted to be done with Iraq. I did not support the Afghanistan War, either. But now I've come to terms with what these psychos are trying to do to America and we need to take them down.

I want less gov't spending overall, not just when it comes to entitlements. But THIS topic is about entitlements, not about the other things, and I'm not going to get off topic. If you want to know my opinion on DOD spending, start a thread about it and see what CDers think.

There is waste in everything the gov't does, which is why the gov't needs to be smaller and people need to step up to the plate to care for themselves.

Old 12-10-2010, 11:07 AM

9,495 posts, read 9,809,471 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kshe95girl View Post
It was all satire, sorry if it was a bit too subtle for you.

I'm not angry at all, I merely have a low tolerance for crap.
Have a nice day.
LOL, typical liberal. Smile to your face, then stab you in the back.

Old 12-10-2010, 11:15 AM

4,049 posts, read 2,740,667 times
Quote:
I have no chip, I don't know why I would.
Because of the sister-in-law scammer you have that you have repeatedly spoken of that YOU refuse to turn in because of 'family'. You do realize that you can do it anonymously.
They will never know & perhaps you can feel a bit better knowing that you have saved the state or government some money.
I don't think you are even aware of how angry you are kiddo.

Old 12-10-2010, 11:25 AM

1,474 posts, read 2,917,615 times
Quote:
Yeah, right. I already explained myself and will not discuss it with you again. That is the GOVERNMENT'S JOB.
How? If you want to stop it you will do something about it. If you are willing to accept it in your own family you have to accept it outside your family. Or there aren't THAT many people cheating the system. You either care or not.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies