Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-11-2010, 07:10 PM

88,989 posts, read 44,799,475 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mac_Muz View Post
I sure wouldn't mind no taxes.

...Why do you even want what you don't earn?
I'd like the liberals to answer that, too.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-11-2010, 07:17 PM

7,545 posts, read 8,325,030 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by InformedConsent View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mac_Muz
I sure wouldn't mind no taxes.

...Why do you even want what you don't earn?
I'd like the liberals to answer that, too.
Because they feel they are entitled to it.

Old 12-11-2010, 07:37 PM

6,369 posts, read 6,407,185 times
Let's summarize the lib comments so far...

The people are stupid.
The Republicans weave a magic spell when they talk.

Old 12-11-2010, 07:39 PM

565 posts, read 485,785 times
Many people have a natural tendency to worship the powerful.
In that regard and only on this, will I agree with RL when he says, that "some people are born to be slaves".

Last edited by henrjam; 12-11-2010 at 07:52 PM..

Old 12-11-2010, 08:24 PM

14,268 posts, read 18,928,206 times
No taxes? When people stop receiving their Social Security checks and Medicare payments, they'll start to realize that the money comes from Federal taxes. Maybe when they drive off a bridge because there was no federal money to repair it, while their cars are sinking into the river, they'll wish they supported the Stimulus which paid for many local infrastructure projects like road & bridge repair. Would you fly without air traffic controllers (Federal employees) or want to live in a country without a military? When your roof blows away and you're living in the street, will you cry for FEMA to rescue you? I live in Port Charlotte that was devastated by Hurricane Charley in 2004 and all the anti-government protesters were very happy to accept its assistance.

I hope people realize that Pres Bush started 2 unpaid for wars and signed the Medicare Modernization Act in 2003 (when both houses of Congress were controlled by Republicans) which have cost trillions in taxes. Why is everyone blaming Obama? Remember in 2008 when McCain had to fly to Washington to meet with Bush to save the economy? Amnesia?

You can't have it both way. Either shrink the deficit or cut taxes. I never want to pay a dime to the IRS either, but I know there would be no police, no firefighters and no post office. We wouldn't have a national highway system or national parks. If you're a veteran, then your benefits are paid by the Federal government. What about grants for technology & medical research, or should we fall even further behind other industrialized nations?

Old 12-11-2010, 08:45 PM

13,691 posts, read 18,450,055 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Malkiel View Post
I'm just curious why a lot of people on this forum protect the rich and argues against raising taxes on them. I doubt that anyone who makes more than 250K would post on the this forum. I doubt that even fewer are people making over 1M.

I can understand rich Republicans who want to lower taxes for the rich. I don't understand the poor Republicans. What do they have to gain from lowering taxes for the rich? If you lower taxes for the rich then you're in effect raising taxes for everyone else.
But you're in Canada...

If you're paying American taxes I can understand why you would ask but...if not why does this concern you?

How does a tax cut for the wealthy raise taxes on everyone else? I don't get your logic on that.

The wealthy pay far more in taxes than the middle class.

Old 12-11-2010, 08:52 PM

11,446 posts, read 16,182,695 times
"Why do poor people protect the rich?"
The poor people are easy to manipulate and do as they are told.

Old 12-11-2010, 09:14 PM

26,211 posts, read 19,514,899 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marcopolo View Post
Let's summarize the lib comments so far...

The people are stupid.
The Republicans weave a magic spell when they talk.
That's half right

Old 12-12-2010, 04:07 AM

20,948 posts, read 19,046,327 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RandyWatson13 View Post
This is the ridiculous ignorant hateful childish rhetoric that makes Americans seem like unintelligent sheep.
None the less, it's the truth.

Old 12-12-2010, 04:13 AM

20,948 posts, read 19,046,327 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Malkiel View Post
I'm just curious why a lot of people on this forum protect the rich and argues against raising taxes on them. I doubt that anyone who makes more than 250K would post on the this forum. I doubt that even fewer are people making over 1M.

I can understand rich Republicans who want to lower taxes for the rich. I don't understand the poor Republicans. What do they have to gain from lowering taxes for the rich? If you lower taxes for the rich then you're in effect raising taxes for everyone else.
What makes you think that?

What do poor liberal/progressives have to gain by feeling vitriol towards the rich?

They act as if only republicans are wealthy.

and why aren't all of these lib/progressives who are pushing for higher tax rates just sending their "fair share" to the IRS?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies