Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-16-2010, 09:00 AM

56,988 posts, read 35,206,841 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neuling View Post
I think TVs are totally getting out of hand. What was wrong with a high-quality 2 to 3 ft screen for the entire family?

Currently I have a good 15" screen and I like it I hope it will last till 2020.
Hotdamn...you sure are right about this one!!! The TV's are getting obscene. My Goodness...how much TV are people actually watching? The biggest in my house is a 42 incher...and i couldn't imagine having anything bigger than that. I mostly watch my 27" and it's more than enough.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-16-2010, 09:06 AM

25,947 posts, read 24,749,338 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdetroiter View Post
Hotdamn...you sure are right about this one!!! The TV's are getting obscene. My Goodness...how much TV are people actually watching? The biggest in my house is a 42 incher...and i couldn't imagine having anything bigger than that. I mostly watch my 27" and it's more than enough.
27" was also the size of our family TV, which lasted for almost 20 years
Now there is a new TV fashion every couple of years, first the HD craze, now it is 3D... And in 2013 there will be something new and they will tell you your 2010 model is outdated crap

Old 12-16-2010, 09:18 AM

5,142 posts, read 13,123,776 times
Quote:
Still, American families are pretty tiny, and home sizes have doubled and tripled. People have so much junk, that i can't wrap my mind around it. The garage sales in my neighborhood are absolutely astounding! I think that those large homes lend to complicating ones life after you start accumulating so much stuff. LOL...you wake up one day and you're 65 years old and you don't even know why you bought all that stuff.
Right there!

My sister in law is 15 and has her own room and lives with my mother in law in a 800 sq ft. apartment. In her room, we got her a tv which can be used as a computer monitor and monitor to play video games. The tv has three uses and we also got her a computer desk that has space to place the video game console.

The room looks totally better now, very open because the large tv that was there before couldn't be used as a computer monitor and the room looked very cramped. We gave the large tv to my brother in law and we've been working with her to get rid of clothes that no longer fit her before she buys new clothes and getting rid of the video games she no longer plays before she gets new ones.

Old 12-16-2010, 10:12 AM

88,588 posts, read 84,818,250 times
Quote:
Correctamundo!!

People just have more stuff, bottom line. Also, your point about folks working from home (even though i think people always did that) and computers are good and fair points.

But truthfully, at least around here, folks just have bigger homes because they think they need bigger homes. Still, American families are pretty tiny, and home sizes have doubled and tripled. People have so much junk, that i can't wrap my mind around it. The garage sales in my neighborhood are absolutely astounding! I think that those large homes lend to complicating ones life after you start accumulating so much stuff. LOL...you wake up one day and you're 65 years old and you don't even know why you bought all that stuff.
I was reading an article not long ago about budgeting, etc., and choosing what you spend your money on, and one woman who cleans out homes after the elderly die or go to nursing homes said that inevitably there is a huge pile of stuff to get rid of that no one wants or has any use for.

Old 12-16-2010, 10:14 AM

88,588 posts, read 84,818,250 times
Quote:
That's the creepiest part, IMO.

Old 12-16-2010, 10:46 AM

2,514 posts, read 1,987,317 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neuling View Post
27" was also the size of our family TV, which lasted for almost 20 years
Now there is a new TV fashion every couple of years, first the HD craze, now it is 3D... And in 2013 there will be something new and they will tell you your 2010 model is outdated crap
And watch out for those built in web cams. Is it 1984?

Old 12-16-2010, 10:48 AM

56,988 posts, read 35,206,841 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newonecoming2 View Post
And watch out for those built in web cams. Is it 1984?
LOL...i wouldn't have a webcam anywhere in my house. I ordered a computer for my son some years ago and it came with a webcam, and i immediately tossed it in the garbage!

Old 12-16-2010, 10:53 AM

2,514 posts, read 1,987,317 times
Quote:
LOL...i wouldn't have a webcam anywhere in my house. I ordered a computer for my son some years ago and it came with a webcam, and i immediately tossed it in the garbage!
Can you get a cell phone without a camera option?

Old 12-16-2010, 10:54 AM

2,593 posts, read 4,239,718 times
I don't, I'm frugal & don't like owning things that are too expensive to maintain. I'm in South Florida & while property taxes are low, energy costs in the summer can be outrageous. Where I used to live in Missouri you got hit with high energy costs every season of the year and the added bonus of rapacious property taxes.

Friend of mine back there that lives near St. Louis pays $27,000 in property taxes on a 4-yr. old home that's 4,800 sq. ft and appraised at around $900,000.

Old 12-16-2010, 10:54 AM

6,484 posts, read 6,617,921 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by henrjam View Post
Just a question.
I personally wouldn't mind having a few more rooms to store my crap. But then I might be better off if I donated it or threw it away.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies