Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-16-2010, 07:07 PM

6,734 posts, read 9,343,835 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by pghquest View Post
ooh no.. I might have to add on above my garage.. haha

At one time I had a home that was "too much house". Downsizing will change your life for the better.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-16-2010, 07:13 PM

69,368 posts, read 64,128,317 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ozzie679 View Post

At one time I had a home that was "too much house". Downsizing will change your life for the better.
I will when I sell off the internet company or the kids move out.. whatever comes first.. Wont need anywhere near this much space then..

Old 12-16-2010, 07:27 PM

41,325 posts, read 44,956,928 times
Nice house, Pgh.

Old 12-16-2010, 07:42 PM

19,893 posts, read 18,450,261 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by workingclasshero View Post
sounds like a nice house.... good for you

one tiny point 15ksf yard is kinda small ....a square acre is 209x209.(the footprint of one of the twin towers)..thats 40k sf

You really got me thinking because i heard this lot was 15,610 sq ft, now i am not good in math i promise, hated it. Just asked my husband he said it is just shy of a 1/2 acre, i don't know what size that would be considered either. I think that is why we still have quite a good size lot yet, even with the additions, actually for us too much. Two patios, a outside kitchen, big screen for when we barbecue, built in barbecuse area with sink, Pergola, fountains, i love to here the water, which i love so much, love to do outdoor cooking. And look at the mountain views. This really does not make a difference, it is what ever someone can afford to buy, and what they love, we each are different as an individual, most important thing i have found out is health, without good health nothing is possible. So stay healthy. Each of my homes that we own are decent sizes, got great deals on all 3 and they each are good size, what i love, someone else may hate, but i tell you this layout with the new additions i love. Even have a room all fixed up for the kiddies, my grandkids they can do whatever they want, the room is fixed up for them. We have been lucky with real estate, and this has helped us with a pretty good living. We are not in real estate, just got lucky at the top of the market.

Now i have to change the size on all my post. Tell me how big is just under 1/2 acre so i do know.

I have learned size does not matter, as long as your home is homey inside, and clean, i hate a dirty sloppy home, nothing against small homes, they are just not for me, like some of you do not like big, me i can handle them, that is all i have ever known. Just stay healthy, and for those who cannot afford to buy now, keep that goal alive.

My home is my castle, and i love it, i love to cook, bake and make people happy.

Old 12-16-2010, 07:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by workingclasshero View Post
sounds like a nice house.... good for you

one tiny point 15ksf yard is kinda small ....a square acre is 209x209.(the footprint of one of the twin towers)..thats 40k sf
Had to ask hubby size to make sure, wrote you back, size is just under 1/2 acre, don't know what size that would be considered, i suck in math big time but admit it. This is why we still have a sizeable lot 1/2 acre for Calif is not bad, some people here do have 1 acre, we do not.

Old 12-16-2010, 08:25 PM

37,803 posts, read 41,026,245 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xanathos View Post
If you can swing a decent sized house, you can swing 200 dollars every 2 weeks to have a maid come in to clean it.
Not interested in having strangers in my home.

Old 12-16-2010, 08:46 PM

37,135 posts, read 42,228,838 times
I think consumers were just sold the idea of big houses by developers. Just like they are the ones who convince us that "great rooms" are in, tile counters are "out", seperate home offices are a "must have", and that everyone wants their kitchen open to all the other rooms. It's all marketing bs some people are so thick that if they hear it they beleive it and then want it....etc.

Like the current granite/stainless trend, which I don't even like. My contractor was surprised I installed beige corian and oak cabinets 10 years ago but my kitchen looks more up to date today than the cherry/granite/ss and HUGE ASS ISLAND my neighbors installed after taking down the only wall between the kitchen and living room.. It looks out of place in the style home they have.

Old 12-16-2010, 09:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by california-jewel View Post
For me it was not setting out to find that HUGE home, i was looking for a real nice home but the layout had to make sense, BIG OR SMALL, layout to me was very important.

For Calif, we had to have a big lot, for R.V. ACESS and another garage. Our lot is just under 1/2 acre which for my State is a pretty decent size lot, this was of importance. Area is of importance, and upkept homes and if the home your looking at and you love, everything about it, and it happens to be big or small, so be it. Mine happened to be a 3,800 sq ft single level home, which i love. Call me crazy we just added 1500 sq ft to the home and another 3 car semi-attached garage. We now have altogether a 6 car garage with workspace, and tons of cabinets, hubby loves them. Of course Calif homes come fenced, we have a beautiful block wall.

This is not for everyone, but this was my choice, I say whatever home you fall in love with, big or small, really does not matter what any other person thinks, it is what you feel, and how this home makes you feel when your in it. But if you yourself know you cannot afford the home or things might be tight, please do not buy it. We already own a two-story we rented that out and wanted the single level home, when you get a bit older, those stairs don't look as they did when you were youngerrrrrrrrrr.

I am a clean freak anyways, so the even larger home now does not impact me at all, i love to clean and i love making crafts and vintage lamps for the home.

I did not buy a home based on the joneses, because that is never the right thing to do, we knew we could afford this home, and too many people do make the mistake, of buying a home they cannot afford to live in, we did not do this.

Home happens to be wherever you hang your hat, and where ever this may be, GOLD BLESS YOU ALL.
Have to correct now every freaking post i made, hubby says size of lot is just under 1/2 acre, stupid dumb me.

Old 12-16-2010, 09:25 PM

948 posts, read 1,386,558 times
Funny I am happy in my 40 ft trailer on 50 acres then I ever was in a house. When I was with my x GF fro 15 years we had a 4 bed house. We were rarely home and if I was you would always find me on the porch or in my basement office. Back before the web I had my HAM and SB CB.

Old 12-16-2010, 09:26 PM

13,621 posts, read 12,735,309 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by california-jewel View Post
Have to correct now every freaking post i made, hubby says size of lot is just under 1/2 acre, stupid dumb me.
an acre is 43,563 square feet.. half acre is small for a lot..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies