Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-22-2010, 06:31 AM

7,975 posts, read 7,353,461 times

Advertisements

I work in a high school cafeteria, in a smaller, largely rural district. The kids here are given healthier options than I remember my oldest daughter having in the city school she attended before we moved here. You still have crap, granted - like chicken poppers, pizza, pierogies, nachos - but the kids are now able to have healthier alternatives like yogurt, a choice of homemade chili, homemade chicken noodle, or vegetable soup, a salad bar, etc. The whole wheat sandwich rolls are baked on premises. I subbed at the elementary school yesterday, and the lunch was a meatball sandwich on a school made whole wheat roll, baked potato wedges, celery sticks with low fat ranch dressing, and an apple half (a fresh apple, not canned fruit). These kids are monitored when they eat, and they are not permitted to buy ice cream or the junky extras until most of their tray is finished and their vegetables are eaten. But that kind of policing in a crowded, city school would not be realistic. Kids here still get recesses, as well, and they are allowed to REALLY PLAY.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-22-2010, 10:17 AM

2,673 posts, read 3,248,828 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chucksnee View Post
Wow the anger here.....the hate I tell you the HATE!!!!!!!!!!!

Her kids, the democrats want to wipe your butt, since you don't know how to...but don't worry about your parents, they are laying on the couch collecting a check....

Glad that's going to be your child on the couch and not mine....
My mid-twenties child is off working and going to college full-time. LOL, round my house we work for graduate degrees, pay for them, and stand on our own two feet.

Old 12-22-2010, 03:00 PM

9,101 posts, read 16,459,190 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
Sarah's comment about Michelle Obama is totally inappropriate and uncalled for, unless, that is, S. is running for president.
I don't think it is inappropriate. I think it is absolutely on target and I am not a Sarah Palin fan at all but she is right about the fact that the government should have zero say about what we should or shouldn't eat. It should be our own choice.

It might be nice if the government instead would control BIG FOOD and BIG AGRA's penchant for putting more and more additives in our foods and the genetic engineering of them.... which is what is killing us, rather than giving them the go ahead to do more and more of it.

Old 12-22-2010, 03:12 PM

25,826 posts, read 20,706,970 times
Default Interesting

Mike Huckabee defends the First Lady:

Mike Huckabee Defends Michelle Obama Against Sarah Palin (AUDIO)

Old 12-22-2010, 03:30 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,779,853 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by emilybh View Post
I don't think it is inappropriate. I think it is absolutely on target and I am not a Sarah Palin fan at all but she is right about the fact that the government should have zero say about what we should or shouldn't eat. It should be our own choice.

It might be nice if the government instead would control BIG FOOD and BIG AGRA's penchant for putting more and more additives in our foods and the genetic engineering of them.... which is what is killing us, rather than giving them the go ahead to do more and more of it.
Do you feel that way about food stamps, too? I've seen several threads suggesting limiting what people can buy to healthy food, and some posts way over the top, even for "healthy" food. Why should the govt. not have standards for meals it provides?

Old 12-22-2010, 03:40 PM

46,289 posts, read 27,108,503 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ecovlke View Post
My mid-twenties child is off working and going to college full-time. LOL, round my house we work for graduate degrees, pay for them, and stand on our own two feet.
Good for you....my son is 10, his college is already paid for...up to and beyond a doctorate if he wants....(this is because of working hard on my part and a very fortunate life).

So whats you point?

Old 12-22-2010, 03:45 PM

37,135 posts, read 42,222,200 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by emilybh View Post

And it is still your choice. But if you go somewhere and expect to be served a meal you don't get unlimited choices of what to eat...even at the finest, most expensive resturant you are limited by the menu. Schools are not different. There are going to be limited choices no matter what so make them healthy choices. Nobody can seriously have a problem with that. NOBODY.

Old 12-22-2010, 04:17 PM

11,449 posts, read 14,468,431 times
Quote:
Former Arkansas Governor Mike Huckabee took a moment on Tuesday to counter Sarah Palin's recent claim that Michelle Obama is out to rob children and parents of their rights to eat dessert.

"With all due respect to my colleague and friend Sarah Palin, I think she's misunderstood what Michelle Obama is trying to do," Huckabee said Tuesday during a radio appearance the "Curtis Sliwa Show. "Michelle Obama's not trying to tell people what to eat or not trying to force the government's desires on people," Huckabee said. "She's stating the obvious, that we do have an obesity problem in this country."

Mike Huckabee Defends Michelle Obama Against Sarah Palin (AUDIO)

Looks like a more level headed Republican can see how stupid Palin is on this one.

Old 12-22-2010, 04:32 PM

6,914 posts, read 14,762,397 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank DeForrest View Post
I think Palin has a way to go to top Michelles "we can't just leave it up to the parents" (to raise their own children) line.

You can't. There are a **** load of flat-out terrible parents. Now would you recommend turning these kids over to the state or spending a lot less $$$ to feed them right? I know people who've gotten heart surgery before they knew what a times table was. This is not sustainable, and at least Michelle Obama recognizes this.

Old 12-22-2010, 04:36 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,779,853 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nineties Flava View Post
You can't. There are a **** load of flat-out terrible parents. Now would you recommend turning these kids over to the state or spending a lot less $$$ to feed them right? I know people who've gotten heart surgery before they knew what a times table was. This is not sustainable, and at least Michelle Obama recognizes this.
That isn't even what Michelle meant. If you listen to the video in the link I posted, you will see that she says it's the parents' responsibility, but the schools NEED TO HELP! The RW won't tell you that; I just did.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies