Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-20-2010, 05:01 PM

19,112 posts, read 30,666,973 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jadex View Post
Do we not live in a free country? It will be up to the parents if they give them money for it I am not talking about having them in elementary schools. They would also only be allowed to have them during lunch. How many sodas do you think someone can drink in 1/2 an hour?

Do you think kids dont drink soda? Givin to them by their parents?
We NEVER had soda growing up and I'm only 27. Even when we went to restaurants it was water or milk.

Sodas simply aren't good for children. Or for anyone, for that matter, except as a very occasional treat.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-20-2010, 05:03 PM

26,639 posts, read 36,833,119 times
Soda is repulsive. My son doesn't drink it and I never did either. Just a bunch of nutritionally bereft empty calories.

Old 12-20-2010, 05:05 PM

4,814 posts, read 3,853,309 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JetJockey View Post
We NEVER had soda growing up and I'm only 27. Even when we went to restaurants it was water or milk.

Sodas simply aren't good for children. Or for anyone, for that matter, except as a very occasional treat.
I agree. We never bought them to keep in our house. And if we had cookies, they were homemade, no preservatives. I don't know how people live with chips, candy, soda and other junk foods always in the pantry. Sugar is addictive and makes you feel very unsatisfied.

Old 12-20-2010, 05:07 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,957,181 times
Quote:
Its hypocritical of Michelle Obama to be telling people what they should eat while she is eating cookies and fast food hamburgers. Just sayin
Virtually ALL nutrition professionals (not the people that work at Nutri-system, Jenny Crain, etc) believe you can incorporate ANY food into a healthy diet.

Quote:
Still isnt the role of the gov to raise our children. There is many parents that I wouldnt agree with yet that is their child.
Is there? Just how is setting nutritional guidelines (something that already exist, BTW) the government raising "our" children?

Quote:
I personally think we need to bring gym back into schools.

We had a soda machine in our schools. We werent obese because we had gym class. Also we didnt say inside and play ps3 all day. Part of this is the parents for allowing that.

But its not the role of the gov to raise our children. It is the parents.I also want our leaders to not be hypocrites and lead by example. If Michelle Obama does not think schools should be allowed to have bake sales she shouldnt be eating cookies
Say it again, Jadex. Did you learn these little catch phrases at those weekly Tea Parties you go to?

See above.

We discussed this physical education issue a while back. The school districts that I am familiar with ALL have PE requirements. School PE has long been a joke. Lots of time is spent getting dressed, changed back, waiting in line for a turn, etc. But go ahead, push for mandatory PE. Apparently you do think it is the government's role to raise our kids by telling them to exercise.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JetJockey View Post
But what about government mandating gym?

What if the parent doesn't want their kid involved with gym?
Exactly. On the record, I have no objections to PE at school. However, if we're going to say that the schools that get federal lunch money can use it to purchase any old crap they want, why should we have mandatory PE? I seem to recall a few kids at my school who had exemptions b/c their religion forbade them from wearing those "garments" we had to wear in jr. high.

Old 12-20-2010, 05:07 PM

38,496 posts, read 25,870,427 times
Quote:
Do we not live in a free country? It will be up to the parents if they give them money for it I am not talking about having them in elementary schools. They would also only be allowed to have them during lunch. How many sodas do you think someone can drink in 1/2 an hour?

Do you think kids dont drink soda? Givin to them by their parents?
Okay, so you want soda on the menu. What else?

Old 12-20-2010, 05:12 PM

15,700 posts, read 17,080,599 times
We never had pop and junk food at our house when we were little except for special occassions.........like birthdays.

My Mom sometimes had a hidden stash of goodies for herself and my father..........they would indulge after we were sent to bed.

Old 12-20-2010, 05:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
Virtually ALL nutrition professionals (not the people that work at Nutri-system, Jenny Crain, etc) believe you can incorporate ANY food into a healthy diet.
How would they know? Along with Weight Watchers, they incorporate unhealthy products like margarine, that is hard to digest, artificial sweeteners, frozen dinners that must have preservatives and other bogus unproductive food items. And a microwave that kills the nutritional aspects left in the food.

We could and should try for better in this country.

Old 12-20-2010, 05:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pressing-On View Post
How would they know? Along with Weight Watchers, they incorporate unhealthy products like margarine, that is hard to digest, artificial sweeteners, frozen dinners that must have preservatives and other bogus unproductive food items. And a microwave that kills the nutritional aspects left in the food.

We could and should try for better in this country.
How would they know? Nutritionists have nutrition degrees, usually a master's, from an accredited university. Yet all these people on CD think they know far more about nutrition.

Old 12-20-2010, 05:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
How would they know? Nutritionists have nutrition degrees, usually a master's, from an accredited university. Yet all these people on CD think they know far more about nutrition.
All you have to do is read the ingredients and suggestions by these two companies. It's a no-brainer. Diet Margarine? I don't think so.

Old 12-20-2010, 05:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pressing-On View Post
All you have to do is read the ingredients and suggestions by these two companies. It's a no-brainer. Diet Margarine? I don't think so.
I think we have a misunderstanding. I said NOT the people who work for those weight loss companies. I'm talking about "real" nutritionists; people who work in hospitals and other health facitilites, and have degrees. These are the people who will tell you any food can be worked into a healthy diet. I also have a great deal of experience (that I didn't go looking for) about eating disorders. It's a very bad idea to label food "good" or "bad".
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies