Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-21-2010, 02:01 PM

10,854 posts, read 9,303,308 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank DeForrest View Post
"We can't just leave it to the parents"- Michelle Obama
Look at the rate of childhood obesity in this country. It's obvious that some parents simply DON'T KNOW how to make the correct dietary choices for their children. If somebody can step out and help provide parents with the knowledge they need to prevent a growing national health issue that will lead to HIGHER MEDICAL COST then it’s the responsible thing to do.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-21-2010, 02:07 PM

46,294 posts, read 27,108,503 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JazzyTallGuy View Post
Look at the rate of childhood obesity in this country. It's obvious that some parents simply DON'T KNOW how to make the correct dietary choices for their children. If somebody can step out and help provide parents with the knowledge they need to prevent a growing national health issue that will lead to HIGHER MEDICAL COST then it’s the responsible thing to do.

What do you think will make a child fatter...5 meals a week at school or 16 meals a week at home?

If the parent does not understand how to be a parent, then they should not have kids.................

Damn, this sounds just like something I was just talking about

Old 12-21-2010, 05:16 PM

11,944 posts, read 14,784,939 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chucksnee View Post
So this is because of the schools? How are the children getting money to spend at the school....(parents)

Before you blame anyone....does the child have a thyroid problem? Has he/she been checked out for other medical problems?

So the government should step in.....how about the parent step up and be a parent....pull the X-box and PS3's....don't let them set down and eat until everything on the table is gone....

Here is one for ya....How about all the parents step up and BE PARENTS!!!
I don't think you're grasping what this conversation is about chucks. We'd all love to leave it up to parents doing their jobs. What happens when they don't? How far do we let that go seeing clearly that a child is being handicapped by their <alleged> caregiver? When schools are making decisions that aid and abet- like soda machines or tossing a bag of lays chips or a squirt of ketchup on a tray and calling it a vegetable- adults do have to step up. Not just government. All of us.

You didn't answer the question. Do we as individuals, as pediatricians, cops or school officials have an obligation to call CPS when parental neglect is so extreme that a 7yr old is 400 lbs? Where's the line? It's not that anyone wants to intrude in child rearing, but when a high degree of incompetence is paraded before us, how can we in good conscience turn a blind eye? Some decisions made by schools, often times disguised as cost cutting measures or granting permission for vending machines, are feeding illness and it needs to quit. Those vending machines are handy for extra curricular sports, but instead of soda, bottled water or gatorade would be more appropriate. If it's not going to be profitable enough for them they're free to leave, but that vending machine shouldn't be in that school for the sole purpose of profit. Right now it is.

Captinette Oblivious Palin strikes again. Perhaps she should inquire as to the reasons why children who fail to be living in their own private Idaho can't just go outside and play anymore. <cough> developers <cough> profiteering land mgmt <cough> malevolence targeting playgrounds <cough> Do I like that these kids are being raised as veal? HELL NO. What can an ordinary parent with an urban job do about that?

Old 12-21-2010, 05:26 PM

11,944 posts, read 14,784,939 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrs. Skeffington View Post
Another thing contributing to obesity, besides poor diet and lack of exercise, are the number of children put on psychotropic drugs. For example, many antidepressants cause marked weight gain in kids. When I did psychological transcriptions, I did a lot of histories in which kids were put on antidepressants. It wasn't uncommon for some kids, depending upon what medication they were put on, to balloon as much as 30 pounds in just a couple of months. Doctors (and parents) are in such a hurry for a quick fix now, solving everything with pills.
I note that too, but it's a chicken egg thing. Are they being diagnosed with so much of these previously unknown psychiatric problems because the setting they're being raised in changed? Is it diet? Is it allergy? Where did all this come from?

I grew up rural, I had the opportunity to play outside in all kinds of weather. I earned money raking leaves in the neighborhood, shoveling snow, running a lemonade stand, delivering newspapers and such. My childhood wasn't bombarded by advertisements targeting me. What happens in Brooklyn when parents tell their kids to go play outside? What about Manhattan? Would you send your kid out there to go play in traffic?

Old 12-21-2010, 05:55 PM

711 posts, read 1,144,137 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SLCPUNK View Post
The growing obesity issue in this country, in particular with our children, is something that should be addressed on a national level. With the spike in juvenile diabetes, the long term health problems associated with poor nutrition, as well as the growing cost of health care directly and indirectly associated with this epidemic, it's time we face this head on.

But Palin, always looking for an opening to demagogue, saw this as a chance to spout off about "government control" of our lives. She could have taken the higher road and agreed with Michelle; I'd imagine that would have raised her polling numbers as well. Could you imagine? A positive message we could all agree on: Proper nutrition for a healthy life both physically and emotionally. Attack the mind numbing, and frankly shameful, obesity epidemic in this country starting with our children, who need our guidance (we are the grown ups after all) the most.

Instead Palin chose to take the low road as usual and attack the First Lady. While that's not surprising, what's encouraging is that with over 300 comments at the end of this article, nobody supports Palin's appeal to the inane. Readers conclude what a serious issue this is, and that Palin's opportunistic attempt to exploit this issue for political gain is childish and backward thinking.

Palin may very well rally her base, who are easily swayed by illogical and emotional arguments. But the rest of the country who witnessed her puffed up and out of sorts about a message of healthy nutrition don't seem to like what they see. Those not enamored of Palin simply ask a question in response to her cries of "big government" : What is your take on childhood obesity? How would you deal with it?

From what I can see, it appears her way would be to bring cookies to kids at school and ignore reality.

TRENDING: Palin disses Michelle Obama over ‘dessert’ – CNN Political Ticker - CNN.com Blogs
Sarah Palin should shut up. Childhood and adult obesity is a huge problem and if she would just pay attention and look around and stop trying to make headlines she would know that. I sure hope the tea party don't make her president because she is a laughing stock and turning herself into a joke.

Old 12-21-2010, 06:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by harborlady View Post
I don't think you're grasping what this conversation is about chucks. We'd all love to leave it up to parents doing their jobs. What happens when they don't? How far do we let that go seeing clearly that a child is being handicapped by their <alleged> caregiver? When schools are making decisions that aid and abet- like soda machines or tossing a bag of lays chips or a squirt of ketchup on a tray and calling it a vegetable- adults do have to step up. Not just government. All of us.
I respect your words....but, really...Do you really think 5 meals a week will make a person fat/obese? Really? My son does not eat the school food, however, I Have had lunch with my son at school, nowhere did I see a squirt of ketchup...that was called a vegetable...

Quote:
You didn't answer the question. Do we as individuals, as pediatricians, cops or school officials have an obligation to call CPS when parental neglect is so extreme that a 7yr old is 400 lbs?
Listen, a 7 year old that weighs 400lbs, do you think they could even walk? Lets not take the most extreme case and try to use that as an excuse or even an observation....But I do agree with you, if it was that extreme, then absolutely...someone should step in, but again a 7 year old child in 2nd grade that weighs 400lbs would not be able to walk and get to school.....SO this is the schools fault? NO it's the Parents...

I have a question for you, my son is 10 years old and weighs 150 lbs.....in 4th grade.....this is not a lie...I'm telling you what my son weighs....Are you going to call CPS on me?

Quote:
Where's the line? It's not that anyone wants to intrude in child rearing, but when a high degree of incompetence is paraded before us, how can we in good conscience turn a blind eye?
You are using the most extreme position you can think about....please tell me how many 400lb 2nd graders that have even been brought about in the news either on the internet or main stream media?

Quote:
Some decisions made by schools, often times disguised as cost cutting measures or granting permission for vending machines, are feeding illness and it needs to quit. Those vending machines are handy for extra curricular sports, but instead of soda, bottled water or gatorade would be more appropriate. If it's not going to be profitable enough for them they're free to leave, but that vending machine shouldn't be in that school for the sole purpose of profit. Right now it is.
Vending machines...where does the child get the money from? Do they pick it up in the street on the way to work? I'm will to bet not....I really really bet they get it from their parents....Because, when was the last time you seen a 2nd grader walking to school....

Quote:
Captinette Oblivious Palin strikes again. Perhaps she should inquire as to the reasons why children who fail to be living in their own private Idaho can't just go outside and play anymore. <cough> developers <cough> profiteering land mgmt <cough> malevolence targeting playgrounds <cough> Do I like that these kids are being raised as veal? HELL NO. What can an ordinary parent with an urban job do about that?
Sorry but again, the reason that children do not play outside anymore is not because the builders profiting from land anything....it's because the PARENTS are not will to watch their own child....Oh...I've been sitting at my computer all day...I don't want to back into the heat/cold.....sorry but once again...I bring back everything you have stated to the Parent....not the government...

BTW my son does weigh 150lbs but is also 5 ft 3 inches right now....towers over all his 4th grade class....and has towered over all his classes prior to that....

Old 12-21-2010, 07:04 PM

2,673 posts, read 3,248,828 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WIHS2006 View Post
People should stay out of what other people eat. If someone wants to eat a Double Bacon Cheeseburger with large fries, and a large coke from Wendy's for dinner every night then that's their choice.

For what it's worth, diabetes is mostly genetic. If it's in your genes then your going to get it regardless of what you eat or drink.
We're talking about kids at school. They get the rot gut food with zero nutritional value. Adults can do as they wish.

So, all of you complaining about the 'government in your life'. How do you feel about someone smoking around your kids?

Do you believe it's okay for a kid to drink booze if their parent says it's okay? How about dope? Pills?

Get real people. Some of you are falling right into the Bwitch Sarah's hands.

All that is happening is the First Lady is promoting better options, and healthier choices in school food. I CANNOT believe anyone would have a problem with that. Other than the freak lady from Alaska.

Old 12-21-2010, 07:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ecovlke View Post
We're talking about kids at school. They get the rot gut food with zero nutritional value. Adults can do as they wish.

So, all of you complaining about the 'government in your life'. How do you feel about someone smoking around your kids?

Do you believe it's okay for a kid to drink booze if their parent says it's okay? How about dope? Pills?

Get real people. Some of you are falling right into the Bwitch Sarah's hands.

All that is happening is the First Lady is promoting better options, and healthier choices in school food. I CANNOT believe anyone would have a problem with that. Other than the freak lady from Alaska.
My goodness...do you mean everything leads back to the parents...

SAY IT IS NOT SO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! The parents maybe/might have something to do with the raising of their children....

Again, it's 5 meals a week......I wonder why no one will answer that question....

I'll lay it out again....

Why does the government have to get involved with what a child eats, 5 times a week? Do you really think those 5 meals will make a child fat......what about the other 16 meals in that week?

Old 12-21-2010, 07:32 PM

26,639 posts, read 36,730,484 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chucksnee View Post

Why does the government have to get involved with what a child eats, 5 times a week? Do you really think those 5 meals will make a child fat......what about the other 16 meals in that week?
Maybe this is why?

National School Lunch Program

Quote:
The National School Lunch Program (NSLP) is a federally assisted meal program operating in public and nonprofit private schools and residential child care institutions. It provides nutritionally balanced, low-cost or free lunches to children each school day. The program was established under the National School Lunch Act, signed by President Harry Truman in 1946.

Old 12-21-2010, 07:36 PM

15,700 posts, read 17,049,849 times
If your chilldren are eating government {taxpayer} subsidized lunches........then your children will eat what the government decides to feed them.........beggars can't be choosers. If you do not like the lunches being served to your child..........PACK THEIR LUNCH and pay for it yourself. Take all vending machines out of the schools............we only had water fountains and we survived just fine.

Last edited by Green Irish Eyes; 12-21-2010 at 10:47 PM.. Reason: Deleted off topic comments
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies