Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-25-2010, 02:29 AM

2,385 posts, read 4,334,456 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by smartalx View Post
So, what will happen if abortion is made illegal again is the couples who DO use contraception, the couples who DO worry about pregnancy, THEY will think twice about having sex. THAT won't just lower the incidences of unplanned pregnancy and abortion. It will more importantly have a profound affect on the sexual attitude in society. And that changed sexual attitude in society will affect the people who have unprotected sex too.
I'd love to see your evidence of this. Can you prove what you're saying?

I can prove that women having children they can't afford leads to a life of poverty that 9 times out of 10 gets repeated in the next generation.

Old 12-25-2010, 02:32 AM

I've also met women in my line of work who continue to have children out of wedlock because they "don't believe in abortion". It doesn't make them 1) have protected sex or 2) stop having sex altogether or even 3) choose a father that will help them raise the baby.

Don't just take my word for it, though. If you've ever watched The Maury Show or Jerry Springer, you know exactly what I'm talking about.

Old 12-25-2010, 02:35 AM

1,084 posts, read 1,547,882 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Violett View Post
I'd love to see your evidence of this. Can you prove what you're saying?
HOW pray-tell can I give you evidence of this when abortion has not been made illegal? You are asking for something you can not receive and you'll no doubt think my position is invalid because it can't be tested.

But it doesn't need to be tested. Cheese. If you can't have an abortion, will you think twice about having sex? This question has actually been asked before in a number of polls across the internet. And you know what? The overwhelming response is always, "yes, I will think twice about having sex, protected or not."

You don't need to be a time traveler or statistician to recognize if more people think twice about something, it's going to happen less often. And if it happens less often, the consequences of that action will happen less often. It's simple cause and effect.

Cheese and crackers. You are really reaching here.

Old 12-25-2010, 02:38 AM

Quote:
HOW pray-tell can I give you evidence of this when abortion has not been made illegal? You are asking for something you can not receive and you'll no doubt think my position is invalid because it can't be tested.

But it doesn't need to be tested. Cheese. If you can't have an abortion, will you think twice about having sex? This question has actually been asked before in a number of polls across the internet. And you know what? The overwhelming response is always, "yes, I will think twice about having sex, protected or not."

You don't need to be a time traveler or statistician to recognize if more people think twice about something, it's going to happen less often. And if it happens less often, the consequences of that action will happen less often. It's simple cause and effect.

No, YOU'RE reaching. I can prove that people who do not believe in abortion continue to have children they can't provide for and you can't prove that outlawing abortion will make people have less sex or more protected sex.

I don't know what makes you think that irresponsible people will suddenly become responsible when you take one choice away from them. You just don't get it. You think you can manipulate people into being more responsible. It doesn't work that way. Most people only learn the hard way, and that comes from at LEAST having one child they have a tough time providing for.

Old 12-25-2010, 02:42 AM

And by the way, like someone has already stated earlier, choosing abortion IS a responsible choice.

Recognizing that you are not in a position to care for a child emotionally or financially and choosing to end the situation before it begins IS A RESPONSIBLE CHOICE. Throwing caution to the wind and saying F it, whatever happens, happens and not really thinking through what you're doing IS NOT a responsible choice. Which is what most young mothers do, ala Teen Mom on MTV.

Old 12-25-2010, 04:23 AM

24,544 posts, read 56,068,476 times
Quote:

My state of Western Australia only legalized abortion in 1999, you could probably look up the statistics.

Old 12-25-2010, 08:25 AM

Quote:
No, YOU'RE reaching. I can prove that people who do not believe in abortion continue to have children they can't provide for and you can't prove that outlawing abortion will make people have less sex or more protected sex.
I already told you this poll (for so-called responsible people) has been done many times.
Quote:
I don't know what makes you think that irresponsible people will suddenly become responsible when you take one choice away from them.
What are you talking about? I am talking about the MORE responsible people. I just said that there would be AN effect on the less responsible people. You definitely are the person reaching now, claiming that I said that all irresponsible people would stop having sex altogether. I never said that. Re-read my post.

Old 12-25-2010, 08:30 AM

Quote:
And by the way, like someone has already stated earlier, choosing abortion IS a responsible choice.
And by the way, like I already stated earlier, saying an abortion is responsible is like running over your neighbor's dog, replacing it with a lookalike before the owner finds out, and calling THAT responsible. Responsibility is not about getting your life back on track. It's about TAKING responsibility for how your actions affect other people and minimizing the damage your irresponsibility has on other people. If you make a life, then killing that life is MAXIMIZING the damage done to that life, not minimizing it.

Quote:
Recognizing that you are not in a position to care for a child emotionally or financially and choosing to end the situation before it begins IS A RESPONSIBLE CHOICE.
Then give the baby up for adoption. If you had consensual sex and you knew the risks, then you should accept the possibility that you will have to take a baby to term. You don't have to raise it. But you must accept that you have to carry it for someone else. Otherwise it's murder. THAT is the responsible thing to do.

Old 12-25-2010, 09:16 AM

27,232 posts, read 46,663,996 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trimac20 View Post
I'm sorry TKramer but that's a delusional thing to say. Nature is totally CONNECTED.

who keeps you alive? the people that grow the food you eat? Who gave you life? Whose paying for your healthcare?

Once you learn that we're all in this together, you'll gain a greater sense of fulfillment. The more you realise this the harder it will be to hate. I don't hate your or pro-abortion people the slightest. There's no way I'd go bombing abortion clinics I think those people are extremists.

For me it's about the principle of it.
I don't hate anyone, I just don't like anyone either. "Hate" requires more energy than I'm willing to spend on another person.

Old 12-25-2010, 09:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TKramar View Post
I don't hate anyone, I just don't like anyone either. "Hate" requires more energy than I'm willing to spend on another person.
Doesn't negate Trimac20's point though.
Quote:
Once you learn that we're all in this together, you'll gain a greater sense of fulfillment.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies