Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-29-2010, 01:53 PM

9,879 posts, read 8,022,870 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MsMcQ LV View Post
Can you include me in that basket? Actually, rather than photos all over the walls (though I do have a few of those) I have dolls all over the house.
I remember when my son was very little - child proofing was a task. I had friends who said - just remove everything and bring it back in 5-10 years

I have a lot of hand blown crystal pieces. My son picked up a beautiful sculpture, that cost a pretty penny and of course it was "a one of a kind piece". It was like slow motion saying "Noooo" as he preceded to drop it from the second story loft area down to the tiled front foyer area below with a big smile on his face. It was very heavy so we hadn't removed it, and I didn't think at the time, I had given birth to Hercules It is still to this day, one of our favorite reenactments - when you were little stories

I can see their son knocking over that Roman bust
Hoping they have a sense of humor - a must have with
kids.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-29-2010, 02:01 PM

1,530 posts, read 3,944,918 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnUnidentifiedMale View Post
What do you all think of a 62-year-old man having a child?

I have to wonder if the social conservatives who praised Elton John for being in favor of civil unions instead of same-sex marriage will also praise him for having a child at his age - not to mention the fact that he is gay.

Elton John becomes a dad - Entertainment - Celebrities - TODAYshow.com
who cares- he has enough money to hire a nanny to take care of it.

Old 12-29-2010, 02:02 PM

3,849 posts, read 3,753,645 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe_Ryder View Post
Not much of a sense of humor there champ? I was agreeing with you.
Hey, I got the joke and I understood your point. Did you not understand mine? Mine being that is not MY definition of a "real man."

Old 12-29-2010, 05:30 PM

4,127 posts, read 5,069,193 times
Quote:
Hey, I got the joke and I understood your point. Did you not understand mine? Mine being that is not MY definition of a "real man."
Sorry. I misunderstood your post.

Old 12-29-2010, 05:38 PM

2,208 posts, read 1,836,717 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Calvinist View Post
I've never suggested that one is "manly" because he shoots guns or plays sports.

You know that how? Science certainly hasn't confirmed your assertion. I feel sorry for a kid that will grow up with daddy and his "partner" that teach him it's normal.
Your statement about flamboyance implies a narrow gender definition.

Science HAS confirmed that sexuality is not a choice. Sorry if you didn't get the memo. Twin studies have proved it's genetic. Not to mention there is the birth order theory with studies of environmental conditions in the womb.

I think your sentence speaks volumes about the state of science education in our nation. Read up on the latest and realize that there is a HUGE genetic and environmental component to sexuality (esp. in the womb). Gene expression may be turned on or off by methylation or acetylation (depending on the agonist) which is caused by environmental factors in the womb.

What confusion? It is normal. It is part of normative behavior. It may be less prevalent, but it's still normal.

Old 12-31-2010, 12:31 PM

1,500 posts, read 2,800,920 times
Quote:
What does that have to do with the topic at hand?
Often, when posting comments, I encounter people who seem to understand the meaning of the things which I say or write.
What may have been somewhat veiled to your understanding, was a short example of my feeling, that some people seem to want the
very things that they do not need. Michael Vick would like to own a dog but in my esteem, I don't think that he needs a dog. In Elton's
case, I am of the same thinking as Pollyrobin, no, not that I'd wrap myself in swaddling and park myself there on his Atlanta doorstep, but
moreso, to be in agreement with the observation that, IMO, a child is one of the last things that Elton John NEEDS.

I may be old fashioned but I still believe that a child is a gift of love, more than an end of life project. One takes on a dog for the love
of the animal, the companionship and often, just to have a target for our need to have someone or something to love. It is that way with a
child, a child is more than a mere possession, more than a social statement or another notch in the belt of accomplishment. Again, I'm sorry
that I did not make myself more clear in that comment, and I do admit that it was a bit abstract. Oh, and it was really just my personal opinion,
but then, we have all come to know that opinions are like buttholes, everyone has one.

Old 12-31-2010, 12:33 PM

1,465 posts, read 4,060,974 times
Quote:

I have to wonder if the social conservatives who praised Elton John for being in favor of civil unions instead of same-sex marriage will also praise him for having a child at his age - not to mention the fact that he is gay.

Elton John becomes a dad - Entertainment - Celebrities - TODAYshow.com
He must have gone to Saudia Arabia...and learned their good "habits"

Old 12-31-2010, 12:42 PM

31,292 posts, read 20,753,051 times
Quote:

I have to wonder if the social conservatives who praised Elton John for being in favor of civil unions instead of same-sex marriage will also praise him for having a child at his age - n

I pity the poor child.

Old 12-31-2010, 12:50 PM

2,211 posts, read 4,851,490 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LongIslandEddie View Post
Often, when posting comments, I encounter people who seem to understand the meaning of the things which I say or write.
What may have been somewhat veiled to your understanding, was a short example of my feeling, that some people seem to want the
very things that they do not need. Michael Vick would like to own a dog but in my esteem, I don't think that he needs a dog. In Elton's
case, I am of the same thinking as Pollyrobin, no, not that I'd wrap myself in swaddling and park myself there on his Atlanta doorstep, but
moreso, to be in agreement with the observation that, IMO, a child is one of the last things that Elton John NEEDS.

I may be old fashioned but I still believe that a child is a gift of love, more than an end of life project. One takes on a dog for the love
of the animal, the companionship and often, just to have a target for our need to have someone or something to love. It is that way with a
child, a child is more than a mere possession, more than a social statement or another notch in the belt of accomplishment. Again, I'm sorry
that I did not make myself more clear in that comment, and I do admit that it was a bit abstract. Oh, and it was really just my personal opinion,
but then, we have all come to know that opinions are like buttholes, everyone has one.
Thank you for clarifying your position.

I am sorry if people jumped all over you, but as I am sure you know from reading these boards, there are a lot of stupid hateful people that say really stupid things. Sometimes you get lost in the churn.

Old 12-31-2010, 12:54 PM

24,620 posts, read 28,292,958 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bideshi View Post
My conviction is that the child is not in any way "fortunate". Monetary wealth does not bring happiness, and the abnormal "family" it is going to be brought up in will cause great social disadvantages. I hope for the child's sake that I am wrong in this prediction.
Yeah, a child that is wanted and a family unit filled with love is a great social disadvantage.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies