Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-31-2010, 01:50 PM

88,605 posts, read 84,838,467 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by chielgirl View Post
Yeah, a child that is wanted and a family unit filled with love is a great social disadvantage.
This child will have a great advantage over mine, and I'm not talking about money, either. I can't carry a tune, and my daughter used to put her hands over her ears when I sang to her. This kid won't have that problem.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-31-2010, 05:50 PM

11,449 posts, read 14,470,127 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnUnidentifiedMale View Post
What do you all think of a 62-year-old man having a child?

I have to wonder if the social conservatives who praised Elton John for being in favor of civil unions instead of same-sex marriage will also praise him for having a child at his age - not to mention the fact that he is gay.

Elton John becomes a dad - Entertainment - Celebrities - TODAYshow.com
Too old, unless the kid he adopted was 23.

Old 12-31-2010, 06:16 PM

7,545 posts, read 8,329,379 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SLCPUNK View Post
Too old, unless the kid he adopted was 23.
Agreed.

Old 01-01-2011, 01:19 PM

30,065 posts, read 18,674,911 times
Quote:
What do you all think of a 62-year-old man having a child?

I have to wonder if the social conservatives who praised Elton John for being in favor of civil unions instead of same-sex marriage will also praise him for having a child at his age - not to mention the fact that he is gay.

Elton John becomes a dad - Entertainment - Celebrities - TODAYshow.com

The guy is loaded and can probably provide alot of opportunities for a kid.

Old 01-01-2011, 02:49 PM

14,810 posts, read 16,211,393 times
I guess it isn't any worse than the women around that age who have themselves impregnated with embryos from donated eggs which has happened several times. Hopefully, both John and his partner will live to see the child fully grown but that is iffy.

Old 01-02-2011, 08:36 PM

1,500 posts, read 2,800,920 times
I wonder if Elton will be so creative as to name the kid, Quilt. I mean, if that Jackson guy would want to confuse his "offspring" as foolishly, naming him in a noun
rather than a "dignified" name, why shouldn't EJ, make his newest acquisition just as outrageous, name the child "Bookend" or Whimmy", a manly name, fit for the best,
most lavishiously framed photo on Elton's mantle. Some aspire to sit at the fireplace and toast to the moosehead on the wall. I don't think that the kid is going to feel
so lucky, so priveleged, so special. He's bound to be little more than the latest impulse for a manboy who I still believe, really doesn't need to "take-on" a child. I can't
help but feeling that there is a generation who sits in the public eye, a group of true winners and miserable losers, but to take it out on the child by creating a sideshow,
from what would have been a regular, normal, private life, is to take your own personal feelings and consign your "progeny" to havng an overshadowed road to walk and
never really fit the shoes of the parent. The heartiest growth in my garden is the weed. It knows that unless it struggles for an existence, it will die, unnoticed, unmourned,
and always, unloved. It will always fight to live. If you were Elton John's kid, would you feel normal? Who'd be your peers? When Gordy Berry made it in Motown, where did
Hallie go? I love Nicole Richie but did anyone else out there see a bit of irony that comes of having it all, but missing the things that you need?

I do admire Elton's unselfish spirit, the willingness to help another. The world has too many takers and not enough givers. Yes, he's got the best of intentions but , to take
on a child who just may know what they expect from a loving parent, not an induging source of every contrivance, each photo op or every public moment of the rest of their
fully exposed life. The child will be instantly transported into a measure of fame, will it be able to endure? If it is said that we step into the boots of our fathers, what will the
expectations of this child be? Will he/she, "cut-it" in their own mind? I lie in my bed and see the fleeting fame of fallen stars like Danny Bonaduce, Tonya Harding, Danny Baldwin
or even Octomom, these "has-been" personalities that were up there, and found themselves here, in a new time, a different age, sucking up every bit of recognition that they can.

Damned fate! I'll be mold or moss in my grave when Elton's kid finds his way. I was here when John Lennon was murdered. This world is screwed up and even I, as nobody,
live in a measure of doubt. I wish that kid, all of the luck in the changing world. Maybe we'll get the chance to talk about it in the resurrection, if I can score a ticket.

Old 01-03-2011, 12:51 PM

26,680 posts, read 28,678,403 times
The New York Post refers to Elton John's male partner as his "wife".

Elton John's Partner, David Furnish, Referred To As 'Wife' In Birth Announcement | On Top Magazine :: Gay & Lesbian News, Entertainment, Commentary & Travel

Last edited by AnUnidentifiedMale; 01-03-2011 at 01:11 PM..

Old 01-03-2011, 12:55 PM

6,484 posts, read 6,618,904 times
Quote:
If they want to play wife and wife...what's the problem?

Old 01-03-2011, 01:01 PM

13,693 posts, read 9,014,113 times
I guess I am in the camp that Elton is too old to adopt an infant. I recall when Tony Randall, the actor, married (at age 74) a 25 year old woman. She and Tony then had two children. Tony appeared on the Tonight Show yapping about his children, yet he was soon dead (upon his death the two kids were six and seven years old). It just didn't seem fair to condemn those children to a childhood without a father. As it was, all they will recall is some decepit old man.

Of course, I am not speaking about the legal right to adopt, etc

Old 01-03-2011, 01:37 PM

2,085 posts, read 2,469,734 times
I think it's gross, no matter who you are. I know 2 people, who, when they were born their fathers were 74 and 70. They both lost their dads at the age of 10. That is young to lose your dad. I think that you are not doing your kids any favors, rich or not. There is a reason why you should have your kids earlier in life.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies