Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-06-2011, 04:17 PM

4,160 posts, read 5,623,473 times

Advertisements

I see this thread has gone south......

Kids and guns....don't mix end of story

Old 01-06-2011, 04:52 PM

6,391 posts, read 5,170,222 times
Default Correct

Quote:
Originally Posted by elkmaster101 View Post
if we all caried guns there wouldn't be any killings.
Kennesaw Ga. I agree!

Old 01-06-2011, 04:57 PM

29,981 posts, read 42,949,243 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dnvrsoul View Post
I see this thread has gone south......

Kids and guns....don't mix end of story
Could you use a wider paintbrush for your gross overgeneralization?

No, this 10 yr. old who killed his mother specifically should not have had access to firearms unsupervised. Some minors are responsible, trustworthy and have been well taught about firearms and firearm safety practices.

Old 01-06-2011, 05:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lifelongMOgal View Post
Could you use a wider paintbrush for your gross overgeneralization?

No, this 10 yr. old who killed his mother specifically should not have had access to firearms unsupervised. Some minors are responsible, trustworthy and have been well taught about firearms and firearm safety practices.

SOME so would you give your 10 year old kid a gun? Without at least locking it up? I wouldn't-I grew up around guns and my parents would NEVER have given me a gun-example: how about the 14 year old that used his dad's police revolver to shoot his principal? Everyone said how stable he was..

Old 01-06-2011, 05:13 PM

29,981 posts, read 42,949,243 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dnvrsoul View Post
SOME so would you give your 10 year old kid a gun? Without at least locking it up? I wouldn't-I grew up around guns and my parents would NEVER have given me a gun-example: how about the 14 year old that used his dad's police revolver to shoot his principal? Everyone said how stable he was..
Did I ever suggest I would? No, and neither did make the silly blanket statement about kids and guns not mixing did I? Why must everything be absolutely over the top with your posts on this subject?

Old 01-06-2011, 07:13 PM

13,900 posts, read 9,776,811 times
Guns are great. They help protect a home and help people hunt. I'm pro-gun.

Old 01-07-2011, 03:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lifelongMOgal View Post
Did I ever suggest I would? No, and neither did make the silly blanket statement about kids and guns not mixing did I? Why must everything be absolutely over the top with your posts on this subject?
YOUR QUOTE Some minors are responsible, trustworthy and have been well taught about firearms and firearm safety practices.

What was my response? I wouldn't give a kid a gun without locking it up-why is that over the top? Try reading...

Old 01-07-2011, 03:34 PM

9,984 posts, read 10,397,060 times
I don't care if other people have them, but I don't feel the need to own one. I live in a safe, suburban area and my outdoors sport of choice is fishing.

Old 01-07-2011, 03:57 PM

5,094 posts, read 5,442,341 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TakeAhike View Post
In today's news a 10 year old boy in Ohio shot/killed his mother after an argument over chores with a rifle his father had given him. It seems there were problems in the family and the father had recently moved out of the home. The mother didn't want the guns in the house. In this area many boys learn to shoot--there was a lengthy discussion on the phrasing of this statement on Nancy Grace tonight--but basically having a gun is accepted in the community.

This is a tragic incident.

In IL, the son of police detective took a gun to school and fired into the cafeteria wounding the principal and an assistant principal.

In affluent homes with 'good/responsible' parents boys are allowed to make videos using guns---they could be 'toy guns' but the message is the same. This bothers me as much as the first incident. Guns are weapons and lethal force is not something to be taken lightly.

Prisons are overcrowded, judicial system struggles to keep up and taxpayers really can't do much more to support the increasing need.

Your thoughts would be appreciated.

I have not read all of the replies but the boled part of your post bothers me. A responsible parent would NOT allow this to happen and children get guns and "play" with them in rich and poor homes.

A ten year old getting a gun is a HUGE problem for me. And as a parent of 6 and 8 year old boys I would NEVER allow them to have a gun at this age. They know what guns are and know what they can do and they will learn to use them when they are older but to give a gun to a 10 year old as a "gift" is absolutely irresponsible IMO.

Old 01-09-2011, 12:24 AM

16,880 posts, read 15,205,940 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TKramar View Post
Little boys in particular, will take whatever toys you give them and find ways of playing with them violently. It's a part of human nature, no statistics are necessary when it's close to 100%.

tk, it is obvious you should never ever own a firearm, as you think that a firearm is a toy and that you play with it. I would never trust someone such as you to own a firearm even if it is your right. also, you should also remember that quite alot of women also own and use firearms as well before you come out with that little boys comment.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies