Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-16-2007, 02:31 PM

8,943 posts, read 11,786,454 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by chloedog View Post
The purpose of the Nafta Super Highway is to bring consumer goods into the country using Mexican shipping companies. The Port of Long Beach will be closed. A new port built with American Money will be built in Mexico; from there goods will be shipped into the U.S. The ports on America's west coast will all close, the new ports will be in Mexico, and a port employee in Mexico will be paid about 10,000 a year and will not belong to a union. It all comes down to money, money that the big corporations do not want to pay to American workers. I have a problem grasping how all this makes sense. What sense does it make to build new ports in Mexico and a super highway from Mexico into the U.S. for the transportation of goods when the American consumer will not have a job to buy these goods. It seems to me that the federal government is hell bent on seeing every job in this country being performed by low wage earners which for the most part are immigrants, legal and illegal. It makes no sense when Ford for example which is an American based company closes down plants in America and builds plants in Mexico just so they can stay competitive with foreign based companies. Then you have Hershey who is closing down its plants in America and moving to Mexico. We the consumers are all told time and time again that this benefits us in some way. We are told that the cost of the product is less because it comes from Mexico or China...I say BS, take Fords Fusion which is built in Mexico. That car does not cost less than any other car that is built here in America. The politicians in Washington should be doing everything possible to ensure that American citizens and American company's are the ones that benefit, I see the opposite happening. Free trade with communist countries and free trade with countries that make sure their citizens do not earn a REAL living is not what the politicians in Washington should be trying to facilitate.

America is the consumer of the world, which is the only power that this country holds. Every business in every country wants their products sold here. The problem is that the politicians in Washington are too stupid to see that or take advantage of it. I see America losing this power year after year. When this last power is gone I’m afraid there will be nothing left. The so called political elite will have raped us of every job and dollar we have left in order to make sure some third world worker who is happy to work for fifty cents an hour has a job.
It's time for Americans to wake up. I can't believe we have been so stupid for so long. Greedy corporations have been telling people that lie about how globalization help keep cost down. It helps them save money, but they don't pass the savings on to us. A shirt made in China, Pakistan, or Mexico still cost you and me around $8. If even there is a small saving for consumers, what's the point if Americans have no jobs and no money to buy anything with?

My fear is that many more Americans will have to make less, if they can find work at all, under the open border policy. Millions of good-paying, low-skill American jobs will be at risk. I am talking about those jobs in companies such as UPS, Fedex, the Post Office, etc. These jobs don't require much skill and can be done by practically anyone -- like foreign workers willing to work for much less, for example.

But don't think for one second that only low-skill employees get hurt. I used to work to Teradyne, a company that employed people with engineering degrees from MIT and Caltech. When Teradyne moved to Mexico, many of those engineers lost their jobs.

The future looks bleak for American workers unless we wake up and demand more from our politicians.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-16-2007, 03:53 PM

8,978 posts, read 16,558,314 times
Default Arbitrary Stance

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidt1 View Post
It's time for Americans to wake up. I can't believe we have been so stupid for so long. Greedy corporations have been telling people that lie about how globalization help keep cost down. It helps them save money, but they don't pass the savings on to us. A shirt made in China, Pakistan, or Mexico still cost you and me around $8. If even there is a small saving for consumers, what's the point if Americans have no jobs and no money to buy anything with?

My fear is that many more Americans will have to make less, if they can find work at all, under the open border policy. Millions of good-paying, low-skill American jobs will be at risk. I am talking about those jobs in companies such as UPS, Fedex, the Post Office, etc. These jobs don't require much skill and can be done by practically anyone -- like foreign workers willing to work for much less, for example.

But don't think for one second that only low-skill employees get hurt. I used to work to Teradyne, a company that employed people with engineering degrees from MIT and Caltech. When Teradyne moved to Mexico, many of those engineers lost their jobs.

The future looks bleak for American workers unless we wake up and demand more from our politicians.
Once again, your points are irrefutable. We Americans have been "civilized" for so many decades (since the 60's) that we find it very upsetting to have to simply put our foot down and say, "I'm sticking up for ME. Period! The argument is closed. I'm insisting we control this offshoring of capital and jobs, regardless if it's 'nice' or 'feels good', because it is in the vital interest of my society to do so. I INSIST we make laws that state, "take your business offshore, and you lose your rights toward the American market". I don't CARE about your personal rights as a businessman, my concern is with the survival of my society. PERIOD!"
As nice, gentle, open-minded people, we have been very loathe to make statements like this. But this, or something very similar, is what it's going to take to "turn this thing around". And that can only happen when we get up the "nerve" to draw that arbitrary "line in the sand" and say, "ENOUGH ! We've been easy, and we've been good to you, Mr. Businessman, but this is enough. Party's over. Time for you to choose your priority."
Don't know if we'll be able to pull it off or not....

Last edited by macmeal; 07-16-2007 at 05:04 PM..

Old 07-16-2007, 10:15 PM

1,903 posts, read 7,901,161 times
The Ford Fusion is crap. I buy Japanese cars made in Japan. If enough American firms abandon their social obligations to America, then they will fail. Why? The French, Germans, and Japanese, and even the Brits, have little interest in American products when their own firms turn out product of decent quality and quantity.

American business is selling out its soul for short term profit. They will never regain a pole position in the global economy.

Old 07-17-2007, 08:07 AM

286 posts, read 1,587,407 times
Default And if you're anything like me....

Quote:
Originally Posted by M TYPE X View Post
The Ford Fusion is crap. I buy Japanese cars made in Japan. If enough American firms abandon their social obligations to America, then they will fail. Why? The French, Germans, and Japanese, and even the Brits, have little interest in American products when their own firms turn out product of decent quality and quantity.

American business is selling out its soul for short term profit. They will never regain a pole position in the global economy.
.... You've noticed a SIGNIFICANT increase of foreign cars on the road. American car companies are not producing what most Americans are beginning to demand. My personal belief is that the Big 3 have abandoned the US. They've taken their business over the borders while not producing something in the best interest of the consumer (gas guzzler what?).... and then seem shocked when profits take a nose dive.

There are only a couple reasons why "American" produced cars are not taken seriously in other countries... 1, because they don't meet emissions and/or quality standards, and 2, those countries are LOYAL to their own because their own are LOYAL in RETURN. At least the foreign car makers are producing IN American and giving American workers JOBS. I certainly would be more loyal to the Big 3 if they produced something that was competitive to foreign (thus far, I have not seen any Big 3 vehicle that even touches the gas mileage to my non-hybrid Civic... even in their hybrid catagory...) and that were loyal to the hard working American. I agree that the unions pushed their buttons and caused problems... there is a lot of reform that needs to take place. But, the unions were used just as an excuse to pull out over the border. They completely intended to maximize their profit while sticking it to middle class America.

I am very fearful of what the US government is capable of doing to the American people. I wish folks would take a few more minutes out of their day to day lives to take a good look at what is really going on. I wish the American public would unite and demand change. It shouldn't only be a choice of democratic or republican. What is the point of having an open vote if you really, truly only have 2 choices (and we all know realistically that independents are not going to have the resources to do a successful campaign). As of the moment, we can't trust anyone going into the office. We don't know who has a back door deal that will stick it to us, and they all put up their smiling faces telling the public what she wants to hear to win that vote. Knowing that an open border trade agreement is in the works - unknowingly to majority of the American people - only emphasizes how willing the gov't is to bend over backwards to big corps while turning face on the people that are constantly being preached at for loyalty and hard work.

.... so how do we fix this?

Old 07-17-2007, 08:28 AM

793 posts, read 3,122,523 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nirvana-Guy View Post
I have read this one and that is yet ANOTHER reason to be concerned about Hillary. To those who forgot it, NAFTA (the reason millions of US jobs left for Mexico or Canada) was initiated, crafted, and implemented by Bill Clinton (while he was not busy messing with cheap women in The White House).

Bush has continued the Clinton NAFTA push, under the North American Union.

That is why the next President cannot be a Communist like Obama (wnats open borders and feels anyone should come here, thus a NA Union would help his goal) or a Guilliani, who wants America to become NYC.

That is why I am going with Fred Thompson or Mitt.
NAFTA was not crafted by Bill Clinton: this originally was fostered by the elder George Bush. Either way though, by-in-large the two major parties are two peas-in-a-pod when it comes to issues of increased globalization, loss of sovereignty, and catering to special interests and big business.

Old 07-17-2007, 11:02 AM

9,319 posts, read 18,749,757 times
I soooo agree with you stuntman. Bush and Clinton are similar in their global idiology. Voting for Hillary in my opinion will just be a continuation of the current Bush administration. I got chills when Bush Sr. hooked up with Clinton. I should have listened to my dad warning me about the Bush family. And he was a Republican.

Old 07-17-2007, 11:16 AM

793 posts, read 3,122,523 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MotleyCrew View Post
I soooo agree with you stuntman. Bush and Clinton are similar in their global idiology. Voting for Hillary in my opinion will just be a continuation of the current Bush administration. I got chills when Bush Sr. hooked up with Clinton. I should have listened to my dad warning me about the Bush family. And he was a Republican.

Yes I find it hysterical how personal campaigning becomes, but then all is forgiven and forgotten. There are a few pronounced differences, but in-large there hasn't been this wide black-and-white contrast between the two major party presidential candidates in quite some time like many try to perceive it as such: NAFTA being a perfect example. People, including the media seem to have extremely short memories. Bush Senior often harped on his disgust for Bill Clinton's personal behavior in the oval office during the Clinton tenure for example. Yet now every where you turn, don't these two just look so dollish together as they travel abroad together and make dual speaking engagements at college campuses? It wouldn't surprise me if they have exchanged laughs, a few beers, and tales in front of a camp fire and even perhaps....okay I can't and won't go there. I notice unlike the early 90's, these two avoid any topic as it pertains to NAFTA: they will speak of the pros of the global economy, but that is far as it goes. And at least if its going to become personal when campaigning/speaking out against your opponent, make it LEGITIMATELY personal.

Old 07-17-2007, 11:39 AM

286 posts, read 1,587,407 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MotleyCrew View Post
I have to wonder if Obama (who I believe only entered the race to get hooked up as VP on the ticket) was lured in specifically to turn with Hillary. That would be a hard team to beat from the minority perspective, and it would put the right people in place to continue on the road we're already on. My father warned me about the Bush family as well, and I do believe he was correct. GW was put into place because he is a pawn, and his inability to hold a ligit press conference doubled with his seemingly ignorant tactics just makes me think he was put in place so that no one saw what was going on behind the scenes. Almost like watching a magician... you watch the right hand so that you miss what the left hand is doing. I have a very bad gut feeling about Hillary and Obama both that is hard to ignore.

Old 07-17-2007, 11:53 AM

209 posts, read 1,089,532 times
A North American union would absolutely RUIN the United States and Canada. I wouldn't be surprised if Mexico was EMPTY when this NAU starts. Jobs are at risk, of course, our language, currency, and global economy position are at risk, but mostly, our sovereignity will be torn apart. We will not be able to sing "Proud to be an American," on the 4th of July, there will not even BE a fourth of July, or an "American Dream," or "traditional American home," any more. Everything we have worked so hard to establish in the past 230+ years in America will go down the tubes. President Bush could have backed out and said no, but he is too much of an idiot to do anything. Mexico has got to be exstatic... Canada doesnt want to be with us, much less Mexico. MEXICO is not even a free country. What would happen to freedom, the constitution? America would be in shambles.

Visit stoptheNAU.org for more information.

States are all ready saying no to the NAU,

a few states that have said no all ready: Alabama, Illinois, Georgia, Pennsylvania

a few states that have not said anything yet: California, Florida, Iowa

America, goodbye.

I dont think we Americans realize HOW LUCKY WE ARE to have such a great country. Sure, Bush screws it up, but he has only a year left. We Americans need to get together and all say no to the "North American Union," SO WHAT IF EUROPE has a EUROPEAN UNION? We do not have to do everything like Europe, and Europe doesnt have a crappy neighbor named Mexico.

Politicians are stupid. Maybe,just maybe joining with Canada would be OK, but Mexico, NO! absolutely not!

First of all; Europe has a European union because they have very powerful, industrialized, healthy, wealthy nations over there; i.e; France, Britain, Spain, Germany,Belgium. We are not in the same situation as Europe is. How come politicians cannot see that?

Old 07-19-2007, 01:49 PM

99 posts, read 351,213 times
Default Great thread

And this barely scratches the surface of our issues, but is the best and
only place to start. We might as well use the internet to our advantage.
Whoever knows specifically how and to whom we can voice these concerns
that might make any difference at all please share it with us all. Short of
taking to the streets that's all we can do. Then we can saturate emails and phone lines and tell everyone we know to do the same.

By design most of us are too stressed, busy, etc as it is to do anything. That
is exactly how they want us. I will be spending some time in the next week
researching and writing, and even calling wherever possible.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies