Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-09-2011, 04:29 AM

47,525 posts, read 69,716,559 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Llewelyn View Post
They reported he liked rock music. You going to point fingers at that too?
Did you hear the song he had on his favorite video? The one where he burned the US flag?

"let the bodies hit the floor, let the bodies hit the floor,.....can't take much more,...nothing wrong with me, nothing wrong with me, nothing wrong with me, something's got to give, something's got to give, let the bodies hit the floor, let the bodies hit the floor"

It would be difficult to claim that the lyrics of that song had zero effect on him, it was the song and lyrics he used for his favorite video. I suspect those lyrics played over and over in his mind.

Old 01-09-2011, 04:31 AM

7,104 posts, read 11,605,367 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sanrene View Post
That's all it is. Just a sense that he acted alone. Can you imagine him enlisting an accomplice in his insane, murderous plot, showing that person his rantings.......could there really be another that has the mentality of this kid?
You know a long time ago I would have said no way, but there's a group for everything on the internet. He could have met someone with some similar leanings ... it'll be interesting to see how it plays out.

Old 01-09-2011, 04:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnUnidentifiedMale View Post
You're essentially saying that your argument about the pot connection is as empty as the connection with Palin that others are making.
Mainly because if there is a connection with this guy to anything, it was to leftism, marijuana, atheism. Absolutely nothing to tie him to Palin or anything related to conservatives.

You people wanted SO badly to exploit this tragedy for your own agenda which is truly shameful. If there were any hint that he ever read a book written by a conservative or even the Bible, you guys would still be all over that. But when it turns out he was a liberal pot smoking loon, suddenly you get all pious and self-righteous and insist that nothing he was into could have had any effect at all, NOW it was just the mental illness.

Old 01-09-2011, 04:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NorasMom View Post
The head of Tea Party Nation (Judson Phillips) last night called the shooter a "liberal whacko."
How sad for you that's how it turned out isn't it? Yes he was a liberal whacko. No matter how much you wanted it to be a conservative whacko, that's now how it is.

Maybe it's time to admit the guy was a paranoid schizophrenic and suffered psychotic breaks. But why was security at a political event so weak that a paranoid schizophrenic could bring a gun to it?

Old 01-09-2011, 04:42 AM

37,223 posts, read 19,219,451 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by malamute View Post
Mainly because if there is a connection with this guy to anything, it was to leftism, marijuana, atheism. Absolutely nothing to tie him to Palin or anything related to conservatives.

You people wanted SO badly to exploit this tragedy for your own agenda which is truly shameful. If there were any hint that he ever read a book written by a conservative or even the Bible, you guys would still be all over that. But when it turns out he was a liberal pot smoking loon, suddenly you get all pious and self-righteous and insist that nothing he was into could have had any effect at all, NOW it was just the mental illness.
There IS, however, more than ample damning evidence of Palin's reckless use of violent imagery in political discourse. I'll wait and see what comes out before I form a final opinion, but it is interesting that Palin had the "Target List" removed from her website yesterday afternoon. She apparently thought that there was enough of a coincidence there to take action.

Old 01-09-2011, 04:47 AM

30,357 posts, read 51,958,032 times
Quote:
You people wanted SO badly to exploit this tragedy for your own agenda which is truly shameful.
Enough with the self-righteousness already... I'm trying not to stray too far off topic, but I could cite hundreds of examples from "your side" doing just that on C-D. In fact, I seem to recall you specifically exploiting tragedies to further an agenda. Two wrongs don't make a right, but the hypocrisy of your comments is worth mentioning.

Old 01-09-2011, 04:51 AM

924 posts, read 1,644,977 times
Quote:
Did you hear the song he had on his favorite video? The one where he burned the US flag?

"let the bodies hit the floor, let the bodies hit the floor,.....can't take much more,...nothing wrong with me, nothing wrong with me, nothing wrong with me, something's got to give, something's got to give, let the bodies hit the floor, let the bodies hit the floor"

It would be difficult to claim that the lyrics of that song had zero effect on him, it was the song and lyrics he used for his favorite video. I suspect those lyrics played over and over in his mind.
LOL I liked that song when I was an impressionable 13 year old. Why haven't I gone out and murdered people?

Do you suggest we ban all forms of art that depict violence?

Old 01-09-2011, 04:52 AM

4,538 posts, read 6,804,762 times
This is a no-win debate. No one knows what connections the mentally unstable make to commit such egregious acts of violence.

No reason the shooter gives would justify his actions to the sane. As far as Palin's crosshair chart possibly inciting violence, perhaps in the mind of a mentally unstable person like the shooter. However, if we remove all metaphors, idioms, analogies, and other nonliteral uses of language from our public discourse then we all lose as a society.

Old 01-09-2011, 04:54 AM

7,104 posts, read 11,605,367 times
Quote:
How sad for you that's how it turned out isn't it? Yes he was a liberal whacko. No matter how much you wanted it to be a conservative whacko, that's now how it is.

Maybe it's time to admit the guy was a paranoid schizophrenic and suffered psychotic breaks. But why was security at a political event so weak that a paranoid schizophrenic could bring a gun to it?
He was a wacko, but he wasn't liberal OR conservative at this point - and as I said yesterday, even Andrew Breitbart was a liberal once! I think the guy had changed into more of an Infowars type and YES they are also Palin's audience.

Look at my posts because I agreed yesterday that the guy was probably a paranoid schizophrenic.

The Pima County Sheriff himself said unbalanced people are more susceptible to vitriol. Do you need more evidence, really? Exhibit A!

Old 01-09-2011, 04:55 AM

22,229 posts, read 17,861,032 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dewmik View Post
This is not a reflection bad taste in politics. One man picked up a gun and made the chose for all the people. You had nothing to do with his demented action.
If there is a room full of people and the majority of people make a decision and one man eliminates that choice he is mandating his choice for everyone.
This was the pathetic action of one man not a result of anyone else.

(FYI some good news I just heard on an update the The Congress woman is responding to Dr.s)
This act of violence, no, I had no influence on that event. However, I think there is a larger problem involved, one that many people contribute to, myself included. The rhetoric level, much of it completely unfounded, is affecting people who have a diminished capacity to recognize there is a difference between hateful talk and hateful action.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies