Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-10-2011, 09:12 AM

7,184 posts, read 4,769,336 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by LauraC View Post
That's exactly what I was thinking only I'm wondering if this incident is being used to shut down speech, if it was just a well-meaning but not well-thought out knee-jerk reaction to the incident or if "that could be perceived" is not really the actual language in the bill. If this psycho threatened the Congresswoman before and nothing was done about it, that's the real problem.

You know, one might point to President Obama calling to Latino voters to "punish our enemies" (Republicans) as something that "could be perceived as" language that incites violence.
You couldn't help yourself, could you?

Old 01-10-2011, 09:14 AM

16,880 posts, read 15,203,858 times
ban all firearms, I think it is hightime to have a complete change of goverment is all houses, offices and states that agree with such legislation.

Old 01-10-2011, 09:14 AM

35,309 posts, read 52,323,443 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Irishiis49 View Post
Is the politics of hate climate underlying cause of todays tragedy or is it an isolated incident?? What do you think??

For those thinking this Waste of space A..hole loser is in anyway representative of a political party,whether he thought of himself as left or right leaning in political ideology he fell well short of the mark for either party.
He was just an evil killer.
Thankfully Arizona has the death penalty,too bad a lot of tax dollars will be spent on the upcoming legal circus but i guess this pathetic whack job was also too much of a coward to actually do the world a favor and do himself in..

Old 01-10-2011, 09:16 AM

22,229 posts, read 17,861,032 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TigerLily24 View Post
Agreed.
I think that the sheriff was very brave to say what he did. I've already seen some very hateful remarks directed at him from people in his district and beyond. It would seem that his points have already been well-proven.
I think that it time for reflection on all sides.
He is quite right and all should look at their own contribution to the contentious atmosphere permeating the Country. Yet it is no surprise that many, some of which are the most egregious, will not do so.

Old 01-10-2011, 09:17 AM

8,652 posts, read 17,244,818 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by littlelamb3 View Post
I do not believe in guns, never did, never will. Brings me back to my childhood when I was absolutely appalled that my father went hunting, HORRIBLE. What irritates me even more are the people that keep guns in the homes where there are children, and people with mental issues. NO ONE who has mental issues, depression, or ANY of that should own a gun, and I don't believe they should be around children. Don't give me this crap about your rights either. I know personally the horror of guns, and to defend them as your right is just plain ignorant. They fall in the wrong people's hands over and over again.

Would you like to go hunting with me next weekend?

Old 01-10-2011, 09:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by odanny View Post
Whats sad is that someone is outraged and "sickened" by a proposal for legislation and not feeling the same about 6 dead people.

Talk about misplaced outrage, its the same lunatics who oppose ANY gun control legislation AND those who support the paranoid, delusional sanctuary that this Tuscon shooter took refuge in.

But when people get shot, he all of a sudden "isnt one of us"....

strange you would say he isnt 1 of you, because from what his friends say, he was very left leaning and supported gun control. strange the left want to ban firearms now. now if they only knew what an assault rifle really was.

Old 01-10-2011, 09:20 AM

29,981 posts, read 42,944,845 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by florida.bob View Post
He is quite right and all should look at their own contribution to the contentious atmosphere permeating the Country. Yet it is no surprise that many, some of which are the most egregious, will not do so.
Start with a look in the mirror and your own posts.

Old 01-10-2011, 09:24 AM

4,395 posts, read 4,913,619 times
Quote:
No! They are trained physically, mentally and with their equipment. Not to mention, regularly evaluated as to their competence.
Quote:
Originally Posted by summers73 View Post
It's nice to believe in things. Some believe in ghosts, some in UFOs, and some...
Quote:
????
I think that summers73 is saying that not all officers are equally trained and evaluated. Our local sheriff's office made the news when they decided to test their deputies on both physical fitness and proficiency with a firearm. They had adequate warnings and two attempts to pass the tests. Some failed.

You would be surprised at the number of officers that aren't gun people. Their service weapon is no different than an mechanic's wrench.

On the other hand, all of the people I know with CCW's are gun people. They have multiple firearms and train regularly. When I can't get to the range, I have a series of skill moves perform on a weekly basis using my weapon while unloaded.

Old 01-10-2011, 09:25 AM

33,387 posts, read 34,854,052 times
Quote:
Whats sad is that someone is outraged and "sickened" by a proposal for legislation and not feeling the same about 6 dead people.

Talk about misplaced outrage, its the same lunatics who oppose ANY gun control legislation AND those who support the paranoid, delusional sanctuary that this Tuscon shooter took refuge in.

But when people get shot, he all of a sudden "isnt one of us"....
Quote:
Until he loses it and just start shooting. Then, not so much.

I dont feel safer around mentally unstable people with handguns.
personally i AM outraged that ANYONE would use a weapon in such a heinous manner. i am truly saddened that people were hurt or killed in the event of that day, but i am also outraged that people make constant knee jerk reactions to situations that are in fact unusual in nature. very few people in the grand scheme of things actually go out and mow down a large number of people in this manner. it is just that when something like this happens, the media turns it into the old west where everyone is shooting everyone else.

i am also equally outraged that some people believe that taking guns from the hands of law abiding citizens would somehow magically end gun crimes, when the vast amount of evidence to the contrary is readily available.

as for mentally unstable people having firearms, if they have been in a mental institution, they are NOT allowed to own firearms. for instance, one of my uncles was in the CIA for many years, after he retired from the agency, he developed a neurological problem that not only affected his body, but had effects on his mental stability as well, and as a result he was not allowed to own a firearm. he could own a large bowie knife if he wanted though, and in his opinion, the knife would have been his weapon of choice if he were to go off on people.

given that bit of information, do we now try to ban knives? as i have said before, if someone is intent on killing another, the lack of a firearm, or even a knife is no detriment. there are many things that can in fact be quite useful and deadly when used wrong, including the common ballpoint pen. so do we outlaw ballpoint pens now too?

Old 01-10-2011, 09:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mistygrl092 View Post
Or maybe, quite possibly, he's just a decent guy with a brain!

I know it's hard to conceive of this when AZ has consistently ranked dumbest state in the country, but just maybe!.....

if you want the dumbest, maybe you should start with the state with the largest deficit.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies