Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-09-2011, 11:21 PM

5,341 posts, read 6,524,514 times

Advertisements

What is this Sheriff really up to

For the chief local law enforcement officer to be politicizing a killing within the first 24 hours, and to be suggesting the likely defense available to the murderer is truly incredible.

Isn't Sheriff Dupnik Providing Loughner A Defense?

I wonder if his instructions and statements are coming
from 1500 Pennsylvania Avenue, NW Washington, D.C. 20220

He's not smart enough to think of this himself

Old 01-09-2011, 11:32 PM

401 posts, read 473,858 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by azriverfan. View Post
How do Tucson residents view the Sheriff's remarks? While this is a horrible tragedy, I felt his comments were not appropriate and irresponsible to label our community as being the mecca for bigotry. I don't agree with that and was disappointed to see one of our leaders make that comment. However, how did Tucson residents receive his remarks? Arizona is now being discussed as a mecca for bigotry and hate in large part due to the Sheriff's comments which I feel don't serve this community well when in reality this incident had little if anything to do with bigotry but the tragic actions of a mentally disturbed individual. Why should the entire community be held responsible for one madman's actions? If anything, I saw our community come together during and after this incident whether we are talking about the heroic efforts by members to tackle the man and risk their lives or the intern who remained with her to the doctors, nurses and hospital staff who reacted quickly to the members who appeared at the vigil.
I dont have time to read this whole thread but I am VERY happy you brought this up. I was appalled by his comments. He first and foremost biased all of America by commenting on the perps mental status. This is not his expertise and he needs to focus on helping all of his follow officers to lay out a case that nails this guy. In terms of commenting on bigotry, well, I guess this is where we will know where his political head points. This was not bigotry, it was not right/left, it was the work of a government and USA hater. For the Sheriff to state otherwise, without any evidence, clearly demonstrates his bias.

Old 01-10-2011, 12:50 AM

15,216 posts, read 30,566,366 times
He was exactly right, without assigning blame to anyone or any political movement. That's cable TV talking heads.

It doesn't seem like his message reached the right people. The amount of bitterness and division is reaching the point where acts of violence seem a logical progression. That's not to say this was the case here, because this kid seemed to be rather screwed up. But it's not irrational that with all the viciousness that goes around on both sides that it could happen.

Old 01-10-2011, 12:52 AM

11,449 posts, read 14,470,127 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Irishiis49 View Post
Is the politics of hate climate underlying cause of todays tragedy or is it an isolated incident?? What do you think??
In short...yes.

Old 01-10-2011, 06:10 AM

20,054 posts, read 18,288,764 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smash255 View Post
The clip that was used in this attack, was previously banned. Who the hell needs a gun that shoots off 30 rounds without reloading??
Who the hell needs a corvette that is capable of going over the speed limit and plow into dozens of people with ease?

Old 01-10-2011, 06:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mwruckman View Post
You missed the point of the message, You are one of the sniveling gutless Americans who will boohoohoo and say how tragic this all is and then do nothing and even send in your check to the NRA so what little regulation we have on the books is gotten rid off. Then the next toubled soul can get all the firepower he will need and dream about. Why suffer in silence when you can join that great American pantheon just like Klebold, Cho or Ferguson and get 24/7 Media coverage. Why indeed.
Clever strategy, trying to turn the tables and assert that law abiding gun owners are "sniveling cowards" for not supporting further gun bans. Sure is an interesting approach to the very conventional and fair assertion that gun grabbers are bedwetting cowards who are afraid to get out of mommy's basement and join the real world once in a while.

Old 01-10-2011, 06:21 AM

30,069 posts, read 18,674,911 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by littlelamb3 View Post
I do not believe in guns, never did, never will. Brings me back to my childhood when I was absolutely appalled that my father went hunting, HORRIBLE. What irritates me even more are the people that keep guns in the homes where there are children, and people with mental issues. NO ONE who has mental issues, depression, or ANY of that should own a gun, and I don't believe they should be around children. Don't give me this crap about your rights either. I know personally the horror of guns, and to defend them as your right is just plain ignorant. They fall in the wrong people's hands over and over again.
"the horror of guns........"

Wow- your father going out hunting did this to you? All my kids hunt (even my daughter) and they all own several guns themselves.

The people I have found most opposed to guns are those who have never been target shooting or hunting. I have taken many novices our shooting who subsequently purchased weapons and became avid shooters. Shooting is alot of fun and one should not knock it unless they have tried it.

Old 01-10-2011, 06:22 AM

22,229 posts, read 17,861,032 times
Just watched FOX interview Joe, one of the people who held the shooter down. He had a gun himself, ran out of the store next door, hand on his gun in his pocket, safety off. When he got to the scene, one of the crowd had already gotten the gun away from the shooter. Joe, indicated he is ready to use his gun, his father taught him all about them, no other training, to Joe's credit, he did not shoot the man holding the gun, instead he helped hold the shooter down. Joe said he had about 1-2 secs to decide, luckily he chose right. What if he had not? Do you think people should rely on other Joe's to be, as Joe said, lucky to have made the right decision? I wonder also, as it was a surprise to the FOX people that Joe had a gun, would FOX have aired that?

Old 01-10-2011, 06:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by florida.bob View Post
Just watched FOX interview Joe, one of the people who held the shooter down. He had a gun himself, ran out of the store next door, hand on his gun in his pocket, safety off. When he got to the scene, one of the crowd had already gotten the gun away from the shooter. Joe, indicated he is ready to use his gun, his father taught him all about them, no other training, to Joe's credit, he did not shoot the man holding the gun, instead he helped hold the shooter down. Joe said he had about 1-2 secs to decide, luckily he chose right. What if he had not? Do you think people should rely on other Joe's to be, as Joe said, lucky to have made the right decision? I wonder also, as it was a surprise to the FOX people that Joe had a gun, would FOX have aired that?
He's the reason why we have concealed carry. He assessed the situation, saw there were too many innocent bystanders in the crowded area, and instead tackled the person. I'm confident the gunman would've gotten a bullet for his trouble had it not been a crowd. Situational awareness, just being discussed right now on a thread concerning CCW on ar15. At least as, if not more important than training with your weapon regularly.

If anything, this is a pro-gun message you've offered. Thanks for sharing.

Old 01-10-2011, 06:29 AM

8,276 posts, read 12,863,269 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lifelongMOgal View Post
FAIL! GLOCK does not and never has marketed a fully automatic pistol in the USA for the civilian consumer. No manufacturer does.That is against our Federal Fireams laws and has been for many decades.

You spread lies!

Guess the message hasn't gotten out...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5T77oVIRcVg
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies