Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-09-2011, 05:31 PM

11,011 posts, read 11,023,344 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mistygrl092 View Post
ETA: I even think the military REALLY dropped the ball. When they evaluated him and rejected him, I think they had a responsibility to notify authorities.

Oops, wrong post, but it can go here too.
Has the Army put out any further statements on the reasons why they wouldn't take him? All I saw was them saying they could not disclose due to privacy concerns. Could have easily been he popped for drugs since he was an admitted pot user.

Old 01-09-2011, 05:34 PM

33,387 posts, read 34,837,332 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southbel View Post
Has the Army put out any further statements on the reasons why they wouldn't take him? All I saw was them saying they could not disclose due to privacy concerns. Could have easily been he popped for drugs since he was an admitted pot user.
not only that. but had this been 20 years ago or so, a charge of possession of pot would likely have prevented him from passing a background check, and he would not have been able to legally buy a firearm. another reason to not make pot legal.

Old 01-09-2011, 05:34 PM

46,951 posts, read 25,984,404 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oz in SC View Post
Perhaps because she did not "speak out" against it???

You made that up.

Okay?
Your ignorance can be excused, your arrogance less so, your smarmy attempts at attacking my integrity even less. But as they say, the truth is the best defense, and as luck would have it, Giffords' website is pretty clear.

The full text of Giffords' press release re. SB1070 can be found here:

U.S. REP. GABRIELLE GIFFORDS’ STATEMENT ON ARIZONA’S NEW IMMIGRATION LAW AND THE NEED TO SECURE OUR BORDER | Congresswoman Gabrielle Giffords, Representing the 8th District of Arizona (http://giffords.house.gov/2010/04/us-rep-gabrielle-giffords-statement-on-arizonas-new-immigration-law-and-the-need-to-secure-our-borde.shtml - broken link)

I'll just quote a few pertinent bits:

Quote:
Arizona is now known around the world for enacting an extreme immigration law in response to the federal government’s failure to act. This law does nothing to secure our border...

... even with the changes enacted by the Legislature Thursday night, this law will do nothing to make the communities I represent safer from smugglers and the dangerous spill-over effects of border violence.
In the face of mounting criticism – including serious questions raised by prominent Republicans such as Jeb Bush, Lindsey Graham and Tom Tancredo – the Legislature hastily modified some aspects of the bill that Gov. Jan Brewer signed into law last week. These changes, however, fail to address the concerns of local law enforcement officials about the cost and practicality of enforcing this policy. The changes also do nothing to address the concerns that the law could jeopardize the rights of American citizens. In addition, the potentially devastating impact this law could have on Arizona’s economy ... must be avoided at all costs.

... a number of out-of-state students have informed the university (of Arizona - Dane) that they are changing their plans and will be sending their children to universities in other states. Sadly, all them are honors students.

Our state has thrived on its ability to attract new residents, businesses and visitors from around the world. Our cities and towns have long-benefitted from the influx of those seeking new opportunities. This law stands in direct contradiction to our past and, as a result, threatens our future.
Shall I repeat the last sentence?

This law stands in direct contradiction to our past and, as a result, threatens our future.

"threatens our future"... Does that qualify as speaking out against in your world?

Old 01-09-2011, 05:35 PM

5,546 posts, read 9,999,061 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southbel View Post
Very true. He could have very easily failed the drug test, as that stuff stays in your system for quite some time.

Old 01-09-2011, 05:36 PM

10,854 posts, read 9,300,771 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn_Jarber View Post
His comments are not political, but apparently his words hit a raw nerve in some people, and I find that interesting.
Well you know the saying

"A kicked dog barks the loudest"

Old 01-09-2011, 05:36 PM

41,325 posts, read 44,944,793 times
Listen to this BIASED, PARTISAN sheriff as he basically spews the democrat talking points;

Megyn Kelly Debates Arizona Sheriff | Political Rhetoric | Mediaite

This guy is SO FAR out of line.

He has admitted having no evidence for his speculation.

Old 01-09-2011, 05:40 PM

1,909 posts, read 3,783,320 times
No, he is just another politician, full of BS and rhetoric. He used the time to grandstand against free speech and Az gun rights. He feels he should be above their state constitution and law makers.

In other words, he's just another POS sheriff who is wet dreaming for America to become even more of a police state.

Old 01-09-2011, 05:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sanrene View Post
Listen to this BIASED, PARTISAN sheriff as he basically spews the democrat talking points;

Megyn Kelly Debates Arizona Sheriff | Political Rhetoric | Mediaite

This guy is SO FAR out of line.

He has admitted having no evidence for his speculation.
Again, he offered his thoughts which are dead on, oh one who resides in CHICAGO. I wish you people who don't live here would cut this guy some slack. This isn't other places. This is HERE.

And he is RIGHT.

Old 01-09-2011, 05:45 PM

41,325 posts, read 44,944,793 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mistygrl092 View Post
Again, he offered his thoughts which are dead on, oh one who resides in CHICAGO. I wish you people who don't live here would cut this guy some slack. This isn't other places. This is HERE.

And he is RIGHT.
He is a democrat, towing the party line and that IS NOT his job on this case. He has no call in his official capacity to be speculating about motivations, he has no call in his official capacity talking about which party wants to do good for the country, especially after the country just threw that party out of power in the House.

He is way out of line interjecting his opinion in anything to do with this case.

Very unprofessional, very partisan, divisive.

Old 01-09-2011, 05:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sanrene View Post
He is a democrat, towing the party line and that IS NOT his job on this case. He has no call in his official capacity to be speculating about motivations, he has no call in his official capacity talking about which party wants to do good for the country, especially after the country just threw that party out of power in the House.

He is way out of line interjecting his opinion in anything to do with this case.

Very unprofessional, very partisan, divisive.
How would you know commenting from the big city in another state? He was a guy telling the truth.

Have you ever even been to Tucson?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies