Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-09-2011, 04:03 PM

5,546 posts, read 10,002,221 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ringwise View Post
Where is "here". AZ in general, or Tucson in particular. Because Tucson is VERY liberal, and Dems have a LOT of influence.
It's all relative. I moved from a super liberal city to this state which to me is like the bible belt (I know it's not technically the bible belt). All that happens happens in Phoenix, where I live, the capital.

Yes, Tucson is more liberal, but I'd be hard pressed to say anything is liberal about this state. But then I lived in two Blue states before this, so everything must go in context.

Old 01-09-2011, 04:04 PM

17,401 posts, read 11,980,893 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mistygrl092 View Post
Well, if you lived here you'd know that Tucson is more liberal than Phoenix (where I live) and so it's not a surprise a Democrat won in Tucson. John McCain lives in Phoenix, as does John Kyl as does Jan Brewer (who called this town a hellhole). Can you imagine a governor calling her own town a hellhole, as an aside? That's what I deal with here.
Actually, I would appreciate a gvnr that spoke the truth. Tucson IMO is pretty crappy, all things considered.

Old 01-09-2011, 04:05 PM

22,229 posts, read 17,861,032 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WIHS2006 View Post
Im going to go out on a limb and say that Sheriff Dupenik is a Democrat?

I realize that sheriffs are elected and that as such they are politicians first, and law enforcement/jail administrators second but whatever happened to putting his job ahead of politics? His statements reek of political bias and he should resign for embarrassing the law enforcement profession. The job of the sheriff is to run the sheriff's department ... not to get involved with politics.
Naw, we don't need no police people calling out them that's incitin other people to excise theys right to violens.

Old 01-09-2011, 04:05 PM

26,680 posts, read 28,678,403 times
Quote:
Where is "here". AZ in general, or Tucson in particular. Because Tucson is VERY liberal, and Dems have a LOT of influence.
How is Tucson "very" liberal"?

Old 01-09-2011, 04:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tinman01 View Post
What exactly was it that needed to be said?
That AZ is a mecca for racism? Because they are forced to deal with a problem long ignored by the federal gov?
That his Shreiffs dept possably dropped the ball on the back ground check? Oh wait he didn't say that. I don't believe that they did, nor did he mention the possability.
That this tragedy happened on his watch on his turf? No he didn't say that either.
What he did do is blame anyone and everything except himself and his dept.
And how is any of this political? If anything, he is slamming the current administration for not dealing with the problems AZ has. So how is this political?

Old 01-09-2011, 04:06 PM

33,387 posts, read 34,854,052 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phantasy Tokoro View Post
No, Democrats aren't to blame for the political hate climate.

Politics are to blame as well.

Which includes Republicans.

Sorry, Republicans are just as liable as Democrats when it comes to the partisan hackery this country has become.
well said. both sides need to tone down the rhetoric.

Quote:
I already said the pot, if he was ever charged. And how do you know he was never judged to have a mental illness? How do you know he never saw a shrink or therapist? There are too many unknowns at this point.

Did you not even read that link I posted?

ETA: Basically, anyone can own a gun, as I thought...

Gun Laws in Arizona - What Are the Gun Laws in Arizona?

The only thing that has changed is it's ok to conceal without a permit now.
from your own link;

Quote:
No state permit is required to possess a shotgun, rifle or handgun. It is unlawful for a "prohibited possessor" to possess a firearm.
  • A prohibited possessor includes a person found to constitute a danger to himself or others pursuant to a court order and whose court ordered treatment has not been terminated.
  • Who has been convicted of a felony involving violence or possession and use of a deadly weapon or dangerous instrument and whose civil rights have not been restored.
  • Who is at the time of possession serving a term of imprisonment in any correctional or detention facility.
  • Who at the time of possession is serving a term of probation pursuant to a conviction for a domestic violence offense or a felony offense, parole, community supervision, work furlough, home arrest or release on any other basis or who is serving a term of probation or parole.

• Who was previously adjudicated delinquent and who possesses, uses or carries a firearm within ten years from the date of adjudication or release for an offense that if committed as an adult would constitute first or second degree burglary, arson, murder, manslaughter, kidnapping, robbery, aggravated assault, sexual assault or any felony offense involving the use or threatening exhibition of a deadly weapon or dangerous instrument.

• An unemancipated person under 18 not accompanied by a parent, grandparent, guardian, or a certified hunter safety instructor or certified firearms safety instructor acting with consent of the minor's parent, grandparent or guardian shall not carry or possess on his person, within his immediate control, or in or on a means of transportation a firearm in any place open to the public or on any street, highway, or on private property, except private property owned or leased by the minor or the minor's parent, grandparent, or guardian.

• This prohibition does not apply to a person between 14 and 17 engaged in lawful hunting, marksmanship practice, transportation of an unloaded firearm for the purpose of hunting or, between 5:00 a.m. and 10:00 p.m., transportation of an unloaded firearm for the purpose of marksmanship at a range or other area where the discharge of firearms is not prohibited.
now again, what did this guy do to lose his rights?

Quote:
Originally Posted by WIHS2006 View Post
Im going to go out on a limb and say that Sheriff Dupenik is a Democrat?
you dont have to go out on a limb, he is in fact a democrat. one of the few i have voted for in the past.

Old 01-09-2011, 04:09 PM

17,401 posts, read 11,980,893 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BacktoBlue View Post
If our children drew maps like these in school or made remarks like she has, they would be suspended from school and be required to undergo an evaluation to determine their safety in the school setting before being allowed to return. She is in a position of authority (unfortunately) and she needs to take responsibility for her actions and set an appropriate example - but then I guess she wouldn't be the Sarah Palin we know anymore.
What position of authority is she in? I thought she was just a citizen.

Quote:
Actually, I would appreciate a gvnr that spoke the truth. Tucson IMO is pretty crappy, all things considered.
Hello! She called Phoenix a hellhole! Ok, I agree, but I don't need to hear the governor say it as well!

76,971 posts, read 47,651,295 times
Quote:
The guy made a statement much like any of us on here could. It wasn't political (what I heard). He was simply saying that AZ has become a mecca for bigotry and prejudice. There is nothing political about that. I think he said something about this country needing to do some soul searching - again, this is not political.
His comments are not political, but apparently his words hit a raw nerve in some people, and I find that interesting.

Old 01-09-2011, 04:11 PM

5,421 posts, read 6,505,779 times
Quote:
And how is any of this political? If anything, he is slamming the current administration for not dealing with the problems AZ has. So how is this political?
The sherrif implies that people who are against immigration are bigots.

That old red-herring.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies