Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-09-2011, 04:13 PM

20,300 posts, read 22,227,263 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by florida.bob View Post
Naw, we don't need no police people calling out them that's incitin other people to excise theys right to violens.
The weak minded can and will be influenced by just about anything. The Sheriff is assuming a lot about this lunatic. He made statements based entirely upon conjecture or at least that is how it appears. I would hope his dept is more professional in their approach to investigating crimes. Things like hard evidence and facts should determine the direction of an investigation.
How can we ask anyone to plan for every lunatic and how they will interpret a given statement or slogan?

Old 01-09-2011, 04:13 PM

17,401 posts, read 11,980,893 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mistygrl092 View Post
I already said the pot, if he was ever charged. And how do you know he was never judged to have a mental illness? How do you know he never saw a shrink or therapist? There are too many unknowns at this point.

Did you not even read that link I posted?

ETA: Basically, anyone can own a gun, as I thought...

Gun Laws in Arizona - What Are the Gun Laws in Arizona?

The only thing that has changed is it's ok to conceal without a permit now.
How do you know he was? You're right - there are many unknowns. But facts-be-damned, he should have been banned from owning a weapon.

Yes, basically anyone can own a gun. It's called a Constitutional Right.

Old 01-09-2011, 04:16 PM

5,546 posts, read 10,002,221 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boxcar Overkill View Post
The sherrif implies that people who are against immigration are bigots.

That old red-herring.
I didn't hear that at all. What I heard was intolerance for anyone who does not embrace the RW agenda. I cannot emphasize strongly enough just how right wing this state is.

Now, this could have just as easily been referring to Jan Brewer's death panels, or cuts in mental health services for the poor, or any other number of things, which all reflect prejudice and bigotry.

Old 01-09-2011, 04:19 PM

6,993 posts, read 6,340,548 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by malamute View Post
Well - how about this from a liberal talk show host - and posted on his CBS television show:

The liberals make no effort to conceal their goals.
Seriously?? This happened on 8/4/2000, on The Late Late Show, when Craig Kilborn was hosting. Must admit, I'd never heard of Kilborn before researching your dangerously inflammatory () photo. If Kilborn is a radical liberal, he's managed to stay under the radar for the past 10+ years. I doubt seriously that Kilborn was a mouthpiece for "liberal goals," even way back on August 4, 2000.

Old 01-09-2011, 04:19 PM

14,539 posts, read 21,265,870 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gizmo980 View Post
They stated in one report that he'd been treated for schizophrenia (or recommended treatment? I don't recall the exact wording). I imagine that is the true culprit, mental illness - not politics, weed, The Communist Manifesto, Atheism, Nazism, or the fact that our moon is waning today. Mental illness is to blame for many violent acts, and I would guess (note -GUESS) it's to blame in this case. I only wish he'd been treated, or that people around him had acted when they saw any signs of danger... then maybe it wouldn't have culminated in a horrible tragedy, as in the case of the Columbine shootings and other such incidents.
Virginia Tech is a good example. The shooter had been diagnosed but had never been treated. He didn't show;nobody followed up. People had reported is strange behavior and were worried he was a danger. Nobody did anything and he fell through the cracks.

And the 14 year old years ago who shot up the elementary school in San Diego. She was known to have severe problems and her father gave her a rifle for her birthday. He was a police officer. But you don't see what you don't want to in your kids. She didn't go to school on Monday but took on the elementary school kids. Only explanation she ever had of why was "I don't like Mondays."

Sometimes people who are dangerous are known but with our generally unresponsive system (even to those seeking help) we miss a lot.

Old 01-09-2011, 04:21 PM

5,421 posts, read 6,505,779 times
Quote:
I didn't hear that at all. What I heard was intolerance for anyone who does not embrace the RW agenda. I cannot emphasize strongly enough just how right wing this state is.

Now, this could have just as easily been referring to Jan Brewer's death panels, or cuts in mental health services for the poor, or any other number of things, which all reflect prejudice and bigotry.
For the record, your state has nothing on Oklahoma.

We are the reddest state in the union. Not ONE COUNTY voted for Obama. Republicans hold EVERY statewide office, and all but one U.S. federal office. Oklahoma City is listed as the third most religious city in the U.S.

It's pretty crazy here.

Old 01-09-2011, 04:22 PM

5,546 posts, read 10,002,221 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ringwise View Post
How do you know he was? You're right - there are many unknowns. But facts-be-damned, he should have been banned from owning a weapon.

Yes, basically anyone can own a gun. It's called a Constitutional Right.
Well, this state has gone past the state of being sensible. There have to be more precautions in place. While I am all for second amendment rights, I do not think it's ok to carry a gun into a bar or restaurant, which is perfectly ok here. Sure, they say you have to "check" your gun at the bar, but c'mon. Alcohol and guns are a deadly combo.

This state is too lax. And it was a huge affront when people were not arrested for strapping on AK47s right outside the place where the POTUS was speaking. Show some respect people. You may not like him, but he was elected fairly. Those people should have been thrown in the slammer.

Old 01-09-2011, 04:22 PM

20,300 posts, read 22,227,263 times
Quote:
And how is any of this political? If anything, he is slamming the current administration for not dealing with the problems AZ has. So how is this political?
Where in the post did I say the word political? More of a point the finger anywhere but at himself or his department.
He spent little time or effort on the perp and that the perp is the one who owns his own actions. Instead he made it into how the perp was really influenced by talk radio, and a racist AZ.

Old 01-09-2011, 04:23 PM

11,011 posts, read 11,028,329 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nightbird47 View Post
Virginia Tech is a good example. The shooter had been diagnosed but had never been treated. He didn't show;nobody followed up. People had reported is strange behavior and were worried he was a danger. Nobody did anything and he fell through the cracks.

And the 14 year old years ago who shot up the elementary school in San Diego. She was known to have severe problems and her father gave her a rifle for her birthday. He was a police officer. But you don't see what you don't want to in your kids. She didn't go to school on Monday but took on the elementary school kids. Only explanation she ever had of why was "I don't like Mondays."

Sometimes people who are dangerous are known but with our generally unresponsive system (even to those seeking help) we miss a lot.
Here are emails about Loughner from a classmate when he was in college. Appears that he was quite disturbed. Wonder why this was never followed up on. Seems as though Pima Community College ejected him with a requirement that he see a mental professional. Wonder if that was ever done?

44 - Jared Loughner's behavior recorded by college classmate in e-mails

Old 01-09-2011, 04:25 PM

19,567 posts, read 21,875,929 times
Quote:
Well, this state has gone past the state of being sensible. There have to be more precautions in place. While I am all for second amendment rights, I do not think it's ok to carry a gun into a bar or restaurant, which is perfectly ok here. Sure, they say you have to "check" your gun at the bar, but c'mon. Alcohol and guns are a deadly combo.

This state is too lax. And it was a huge affront when people were not arrested for strapping on AK47s right outside the place where the POTUS was speaking. Show some respect people. You may not like him, but he was elected fairly. Those people should have been thrown in the slammer.
Why are you afraid of freedom?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies